With Hecht finally healthy, who will take a seat?

korab rules

Who will be sent to the press box so Hecht can get back in the lineup?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be sent to the press box so Hecht can get back in the lineup?

• Boyes
    • Ennis
    • Leino
    • Roy
    • Adam
    • McCormick
    • Kaleta
    • No one - because no one is playing badly enough to deserve a little time in the press box.

Ruff was WGR yesterday morning, and said Hecht would be ready to return by the end of the week. BUT he also said someone else would have to play themselves out of the lineup in order to put Hecht in - he wouldn't just bench someone that was playing well. He also talked about what a versatile player Hecht is, with his ability to play on both special teams, his status as a first unit PKer, as well as his ability to play both wing and center. He also mentioned that with Hecht in the lineup, it would give them the flexibility to move Leino to the wing!

We all know that Hecht is one of Lindy's favorites, and he won't be out of the lineup long, especially with a couple candidates worthy of consideration for some reflective time in the press box.

Here are my choices and reasoning for their inclusion in the poll:

Boyes - he's floating, won't go to the gritty areas of the ice, isn't meshing with Leino, and isn't much of a backchecker. He is probably tied for the least effective Sabres forward so far this year.

Ennis - the kid needs a haircut and his mojo back. The feet aren't moving, he's floating and watching. Instead of the press box, he needs to go to that new movie room and watch game tape of himself from last year to see what works in this league.

Leino - if teams won based on how long a forward could possess a puck, we would be undefeated. Unfortunately, that's not how things work. He needs to learn how to get the puck to the front of the net. It would help if he had some linemates who knew where the front of the net was located.

Roy - Is he suffering from an injury? Is the quad still giving him issues? He's clearly not 100% yet. Maybe he needs some time off to rest and heal and rehab.

Adam - He can be sent to Rochester without going through waivers, and plays a position Hecht can fill.

Vote and 'splain yourself. Let me know if you want additional options added to the poll.

I vote Boyes, basically by process of elimination.

Contrary to your opinion, I think Ennis has been playing well enough. He hasn't been as effective as he was last season yet, but his hands and speed are there. Maybe he just isn't meshing with his line mates, but his effort is definitely there. I love how the small, quick players like Ennis and Gerbe can defy the logic of having to out-muscle players in the corners by simply ducking under their hits and squeezing free when pinned along the boards. Overall I think Ennis has been good. One play that stood out last night was when a pass was a few feet ahead of him heading towards the opponent blue line, he reached forward and snagged control of the puck and dragged it back into his possession within the blink of an eye, then crossed the line and left a beautiful drop pass that very nearly set up a great scoring chance. And there was also that really nice diving poke check that broke up a potential breakaway... it resulted in a penalty, but I think everyone is in agreement it was a really bad call.

Leino I don't know what to say about. He's had some rough moments but has also shown a ton of promise holding on to the puck for extended periods of time -- unfortunately it seems everytime he holds it, and holds it, and holds it, and finally works himself into a shooting position, he decides to dish it off to a point man or back down low rather than taking a shot. Either way, for his price tag, I would rather stick with him and hope he develops some chemistry than start benching him this early.

As for Roy, I really haven't seen the issues that many posters have pointed out as critically as they have. I think he's been decent and has also created some good scoring chances, but I do think he admitted he wasn't 100% -- said it wasn't his quad that ended his season last year, but other little nagging injuries. Maybe he makes the most sense to sit until he's healthy, but maybe he and Leino would both benefit by swapping some pieces on their respective lines.

Adam... well, I think "NFW" sums it up pretty well. Talk about eating crow, but Adam looks like a completely different player compared to his time in Buffalo last year.

Why isn't Hecht himself a choice? And why aren't McCormick and Kaleta choices?

Personally, like someone said in another thread (I think it may have been Taro), it would be nuts to dress McCormick over Hecht.

Added.

Really? You still think so after last night? Does Hecht grab Moen and spark the team like that? McCormick and Kaleta serve a role on the team that Hecht can't fill. Is Hecht more talented? Absolutely, but it takes more than just talent to win hockey games. Just ask Vancouver.

Why isn't Hecht himself a choice? And why aren't McCormick and Kaleta choices?

Personally, like someone said in another thread (I think it may have been Taro), it would be nuts to dress McCormick over Hecht.

I disagree. That line has been GREAT at what they do. And I don't just mean because they've gotten into a few fights, I couldn't really care less about the fights (although Cody's definitely did seem to spark some momentum). But everytime they are on the ice they immediately throw the puck on the net and crash. It's not "pretty" but it is effective. It generates chances. I know it's cliche but they just keep it simple. I have had zero complaints with how they've played and I wouldn't break them up... but it is worth noting that McCormick only got ~5 mins of ice time last night -- was he injured in the fight? Or just a casualty of the apparent benching of leino/boyes later on when Gerbe went back to the Kaleta/Goose line?

I wouldn't be surprised if Hecht sits a little longer until somebody's bad play really starts to stick out. I said in my last post that Boyes would be my choice, but really I didn't think he and Leino have been downright AWFUL, it's just that they haven't been GOOD. I mean, it's not so much that they're making a lot of critical errors and turnovers, it's just that they can't seem to get anything going offensively.

But I will say that if Lindy does some line juggling, McCormick would be a good bet to sit because he doesn't make sense on any other line other than w/ Goose and Kaleta. So if Lindy, for example, puts Gerbe back with them, Hecht with Leino and Ennis, then Boyes/Roy/Stafford on the #2, Mccormick is the obvious odd man out.

Ennis was actually quite effective yesterday with Roy and Stafford when Gerbe went to the dressing room.

Ennis and Leino are both puckhandlers, and haven't been shooting. While I don't advocate random shots on net, look at the benefits Adam has been reaping of driving when Pommers and Vanek are shooting on goal.

I'd like to see Ruff put Ennis on the second line and Gerbe with Leino and Boyes.

No way Leino is sitting. He was the prize off-season acquisition along with Ehrhoff, and he is not going to the Press Box this season...no matter what. I'm not saying it shouldn't happen if his play lags, just that I'd be shocked if Lindy had the stones to do it.

Guys who have the potential to be healthy scratches at some point during the season among the forward ranks...Boyes, Ennis, Gerbe, Kaleta, Adam & McCormick. Kaleta and McCormick because they are 4th line grinders. Gerbe, Ennis or Adam because they are the least experienced of the forwards, and Boyes because somebody has to be in Lindy's doghouse. I'm not counting Ellis as he will soon be back in Rochester.

Looks like Boyes and Leino are in the doghouse.

Both are practicing on a fourth line of McCormick-Leino-Boyes this morning.

No way Leino is sitting.

i haven't seen enough game action -- and, even if i had, probably lack the analytical skills -- to understand what's going on with leino.

any ideas?

Guys who have the potential to be healthy scratches at some point during the season among the forward ranks...Boyes, Ennis, Gerbe, Kaleta, Adam & McCormick.

i will disagree as to gerbe.***

the guy is routinely one of our better skaters -- we'll sooner see him with a letter than in the press box as a healthy scratch.

***expects obligatory shrader jab about BC.

i haven't seen enough game action -- and, even if i had, probably lack the analytical skills -- to understand what's going on with leino.

any ideas?

i will disagree as to gerbe.***

the guy is routinely one of our better skaters -- we'll sooner see him with a letter than in the press box as a healthy scratch.

***expects obligatory shrader jab about BC.

I'm not saying Gerbe deserves to go to the Press Box now, just at some point in the season if he slumps, Lindy would be more likely to throw one of the young guys up there versus for instance...the Fab 4(formerly the Fab 5 before TC was sent packing).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that McCormick should be in the lineup with a ready Hecht in the wings. Noone else spoke up so I assumed I was alone in that thinking.

I guess my answer depends on where Leino played on the wing last season. If Hecht comes in, it makes sense to move someone else who plays essentially his role. IMO that means moving Ennis, Gerbe, Boyes, or Leino. Did Leino play from the LW position in Philly? That would make an Ennis out - Hecht in swap easy, put Leino in Ennis' spot and Hecht at center. If Leino played RW it would be easier to sit Boyes and insert Hecht in to center that line, moving Leino to Boyes' wing.

Who deserves to sit based on play? I'm not sure anyone does. I think Boyes has played reasonably well but hasn't produced. But you can say the same about Ennis and Leino too. None of them are playing great, none are doing poorly either. I do think that line might need to be broken up.

What I don't want to see is Hecht in - McCormick out. If that happens we loose the role Cody plays completely. I don't think Kaleta or Goose can play that role nearly as well as Cody, and it was evident last night. I expect that Cody will end up sitting anyway and Gerbe will be back with Goose and Krash.

Ruff was WGR yesterday morning, and said Hecht would be ready to return by the end of the week. BUT he also said someone else would have to play themselves out of the lineup in order to put Hecht in - he wouldn't just bench someone that was playing well. He also talked about what a versatile player Hecht is, with his ability to play on both special teams, his status as a first unit PKer, as well as his ability to play both wing and center. He also mentioned that with Hecht in the lineup, it would give them the flexibility to move Leino to the wing!

We all know that Hecht is one of Lindy's favorites, and he won't be out of the lineup long, especially with a couple candidates worthy of consideration for some reflective time in the press box.

Here are my choices and reasoning for their inclusion in the poll:

Boyes - he's floating, won't go to the gritty areas of the ice, isn't meshing with Leino, and isn't much of a backchecker. He is probably tied for the least effective Sabres forward so far this year.

Ennis - the kid needs a haircut and his mojo back. The feet aren't moving, he's floating and watching. Instead of the press box, he needs to go to that new movie room and watch game tape of himself from last year to see what works in this league.

Leino - if teams won based on how long a forward could possess a puck, we would be undefeated. Unfortunately, that's not how things work. He needs to learn how to get the puck to the front of the net. It would help if he had some linemates who knew where the front of the net was located.

Roy - Is he suffering from an injury? Is the quad still giving him issues? He's clearly not 100% yet. Maybe he needs some time off to rest and heal and rehab.

Adam - He can be sent to Rochester without going through waivers, and plays a position Hecht can fill.

Vote and 'splain yourself. Let me know if you want additional options added to the poll.

Leino - Highlighted the bit I thought was key, Ennis is not having a good year and Boyes is yet to appear from what I can tell. Roy seems to be picking it up slowly, Adam makes no sense and Kaleta fulfills a required, and different, role. Bench Boyes, preferably trade him. I know I've defended Boyes in the past but imho now his the one with the shortest slack.

As a secondary 1 game or two benching for Ennis might not hurt, but not regular.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that McCormick should be in the lineup with a ready Hecht in the wings. Noone else spoke up so I assumed I was alone in that thinking.

I guess my answer depends on where Leino played on the wing last season. If Hecht comes in, it makes sense to move someone else who plays essentially his role. IMO that means moving Ennis, Gerbe, Boyes, or Leino. Did Leino play from the LW position in Philly? That would make an Ennis out - Hecht in swap easy, put Leino in Ennis' spot and Hecht at center. If Leino played RW it would be easier to sit Boyes and insert Hecht in to center that line, moving Leino to Boyes' wing.

Who deserves to sit based on play? I'm not sure anyone does. I think Boyes has played reasonably well but hasn't produced. But you can say the same about Ennis and Leino too. None of them are playing great, none are doing poorly either. I do think that line might need to be broken up.

What I don't want to see is Hecht in - McCormick out. If that happens we loose the role Cody plays completely. I don't think Kaleta or Goose can play that role nearly as well as Cody, and it was evident last night. I expect that Cody will end up sitting anyway and Gerbe will be back with Goose and Krash.

I thought Hecht at center was what everyone didn't want? Agreed that the leino line needs breaking up though.

I thought Hecht at center was what everyone didn't want? Agreed that the leino line needs breaking up though.

Maybe that's a question for another poll - who would you rather have at center - Leino or Hecht? Right now, I am not all that impressed with Leino as a center, but I would like to see him with some different pieces on his wings before I say I don't think he is an NHL center.

Hecht has improved his center play over the years, but is still more of decent emergency center than a center I want to see playing on a top 3 line.

I vote Boyes, basically by process of elimination.

Contrary to your opinion, I think Ennis has been playing well enough. He hasn't been as effective as he was last season yet, but his hands and speed are there. Maybe he just isn't meshing with his line mates, but his effort is definitely there. I love how the small, quick players like Ennis and Gerbe can defy the logic of having to out-muscle players in the corners by simply ducking under their hits and squeezing free when pinned along the boards. Overall I think Ennis has been good. One play that stood out last night was when a pass was a few feet ahead of him heading towards the opponent blue line, he reached forward and snagged control of the puck and dragged it back into his possession within the blink of an eye, then crossed the line and left a beautiful drop pass that very nearly set up a great scoring chance. And there was also that really nice diving poke check that broke up a potential breakaway... it resulted in a penalty, but I think everyone is in agreement it was a really bad call.

Leino I don't know what to say about. He's had some rough moments but has also shown a ton of promise holding on to the puck for extended periods of time -- unfortunately it seems everytime he holds it, and holds it, and holds it, and finally works himself into a shooting position, he decides to dish it off to a point man or back down low rather than taking a shot. Either way, for his price tag, I would rather stick with him and hope he develops some chemistry than start benching him this early.

As for Roy, I really haven't seen the issues that many posters have pointed out as critically as they have. I think he's been decent and has also created some good scoring chances, but I do think he admitted he wasn't 100% -- said it wasn't his quad that ended his season last year, but other little nagging injuries. Maybe he makes the most sense to sit until he's healthy, but maybe he and Leino would both benefit by swapping some pieces on their respective lines.

Adam... well, I think "NFW" sums it up pretty well. Talk about eating crow, but Adam looks like a completely different player compared to his time in Buffalo last year.

Amen.

If Adam sits over Hecht at this point, I'm gonna cry.

Maybe that's a question for another poll - who would you rather have at center - Leino or Hecht? Right now, I am not all that impressed with Leino as a center, but I would like to see him with some different pieces on his wings before I say I don't think he is an NHL center.

Hecht has improved his center play over the years, but is still more of decent emergency center than a center I want to see playing on a top 3 line.

Part of me things swapping adam and leino, give Van and Pom a puck carrier and give the floaters a crash the net rookie. Someone to remind Ennis of who he was a year ago.

EDIT: Note 'part of me' before anyone has a go about spoiling a good thing! :ph34r:

This basically sums up my line of thought, except I think we'd see Kaleta sit before Cody. Also, would Ruff think about a rotation of who sits (i.e Kaleta for x games, Cody for y games) based on either 1) who we're playing, or 2) the style of play of the other team)?

Added.

Really? You still think so after last night? Does Hecht grab Moen and spark the team like that? McCormick and Kaleta serve a role on the team that Hecht can't fill. Is Hecht more talented? Absolutely, but it takes more than just talent to win hockey games. Just ask Vancouver.

Gaustad could have taken Moen instead. How many of these guys do they need on the team? I like what McCormick brings, and like what he did last night--but Vanek's patient goal had as much to do with deflating Montreal (and securing the win) as McCormick beating on Moen had to do with waking the Sabres up (and securing the win).

I don't want Hecht at center, either, and I think the Leino line needs a little more time than what's been given. If Leino was brought in to play center and allow Hecht and Boyes to play wing, let's see that happen for a while first. I'd feel differently if the team were 1-4 rather than 4-1.

I ended up voting that no changes will be made, because that's what Ruff implied this morning.

Gaustad could have taken Moen instead. How many of these guys do they need on the team? I like what McCormick brings, and like what he did last night--but Vanek's patient goal had as much to do with deflating Montreal (and securing the win) as McCormick beating on Moen had to do with waking the Sabres up (and securing the win).

I don't want Hecht at center, either, and I think the Leino line needs a little more time than what's been given. If Leino was brought in to play center and allow Hecht and Boyes to play wing, let's see that happen for a while first. I'd feel differently if the team were 1-4 rather than 4-1.

I ended up voting that no changes will be made, because that's what Ruff implied this morning.

:D. You have a good point with our record, and it WILL take Leino time to adjust. I think it's Boyes and Ennis that are my main concern. Maybe your right, give them another 3-4 games and see if we see more. It has taken Roy this long to find his feet.

Added.

But do we need *both* Kaleta and McCormick on the ice? Don't they basically fill the same role? (I have my own view on this question, but just wanted to throw it out there for discussion.)

Part of me things swapping adam and leino, give Van and Pom a puck carrier and give the floaters a crash the net rookie. Someone to remind Ennis of who he was a year ago.

EDIT: Note 'part of me' before anyone has a go about spoiling a good thing! :ph34r:

I always thought Roy and Vanek were a bad match because Roy is a puck carrier.

:D. You have a good point with our record, and it WILL take Leino time to adjust. I think it's Boyes and Ennis that are my main concern. Maybe your right, give them another 3-4 games and see if we see more. It has taken Roy this long to find his feet.

I'm convinced Boyes and Ennis don't belong together. They don't compliment each others game.

Archived