GDT: Sabres at Montreal 10/18/11 7:30PM

spndnchz

no vanek or stafford for a star? Really? Paxcioretty was ok but he did not really impress me. I guess the only montreal goal scorer was ok. But Vanek and Stafford were great so I respectfully disagree.

Halfway through the game Pacioretty was outshooting the Sabres by about 2-1. He was great.

Take away the heavy shot difference in the first and this game wasn't that lopsided. The Sabres started to take back some of the momentum in the second and third where the shot totals weren't that one sided but overall I'm not happy with the effort. The first period made this team look downright pedestrian and the habs made the sabres look very slow. As another poster said earlier I'd hate to see what happens when this team comes up against a bigger team that uses an aggressive forecheck.

From Globe and Mail:

"They continued pouring it on in the second, and were ultimately rewarded after Andrei Kostitsyn steamrollered Christian Erhoff at the blue line, dished to Max Pacioretty, who in turn set up Swiss defenceman Raphael Diaz, who was streaking down the right side."

EHRHOFF!

From Globe and Mail:

"They continued pouring it on in the second, and were ultimately rewarded after Andrei Kostitsyn steamrollered Christian Erhoff at the blue line, dished to Max Pacioretty, who in turn set up Swiss defenceman Raphael Diaz, who was streaking down the right side."

EHRHOFF!

I feel your pain. :wallbash:

My take on tonight:

1) For those whose memories of the first half of last season are dim and called Friday’s loss to Carolina a stinker, tonight should show you what an actual stinker looks like.

2) Tonight is also why suggestions Ryan Miller is wasted salary space are wrong. The man gives us a chance to win every night, even games we have no business being in. Games like today are not that unusual folks.

3) I hope Leino gets to start the next game on a line with Gerbe. He was absolutely terrible tonight. He needs to make a statement that this game was an aberration and start carving himself a role on this team. Ruff needs to give him that opportunity.

4) Gragnani may have looked a little better tonight, but that’s probably because everyone else looked so bad. We need Weber’s energy next game. MAGs is the guy that should sit.

5) Most significantly, we have been crying for five years for leaders to emerge from our core — guys who produce under pressure and make plays when adversity strikes. I present four examples from tonight that should not be overlooked:

• Nathan Gerbe was the only skater who played every shift looking to make a difference. It’s not unusual, but it cannot be taken for granted.

• Just when it looked like the second period was going to be even worse than the first, Drew Stafford said I want the puck, I want the collision, I want to make a difference. Then he did.

• Our best scorer wasn’t creating offence. Our warrior wasn’t winning battles. And then Gaustad cleanly won a clutch draw and Vanek buried the puck in a way only the best goal scorers can.

• FInally when we were down, our captain played like a captain. If you recorded the game, play it back and watch him. Watch how many times he was in the right position. Watch all the times he covered for Adam’s liabilities down low in our zone. Watch how many smart passes he makes. Watch his active stick, his active feet and the way he killed penalties. Watch the calmness and presence of mind setting up the winning goal.

We played a bad game and we won. That happens with good teams.

Good teams also bounce back after stinkers.

That’s what I’ll be watching for against Florida.

So far, I am enjoying the ride.

Leopold has looked pretty strong from what I've seen.

I really liked his game tonight (and I haven't been a fan of his).

Hey, I'm allowed to pimp my prediction! LOL.

Nice!

Good teams win the games they play badly in.

Good call, although I thought they played pretty well after the 1st period.

Miller stole that one folks.

I'd say he played like a superstar and gave his team a chance to win despite their not showing up in the first period. But I do think they stepped it up after the 1st period.

It helps that he can take a game off to work on his game and to get some rest.

Definitely.

Game thoughts...

- Stafford was probably the best of the lot of forwards(he had back to back dominating shifts in the 2nd period)

- I don't know what was up with Myers but that was AWFUL(along with the rest of the elite defense). He didn't rush the puck at all, handled the puck like he never played the game before, didn't play physical at all, and just seemed to be out of it all game long.

- Beautiful shot by Vanek. Keep that up and a 40+ goal season is in his future.

Good post. I agree with these in particular. I did think Myers found his groove defensively in the 2nd half of the game, but he certainly didn't do anything as far as carrying the puck or creating offense. OTOH they were in conservative lockdown mode in the 3rd period.

He flattened someone in the defensive zone right before he set up the first goal. A really nice effort by Stafford.

I noticed that too. I was thinking that was the nicest play of the year by a Sabre -- at least until Vanek's tic-tac-toe goal.

Kudos go out to Paddy boy. He played a smart game and was a beast on the penalty kill and getting the puck out the Sabres own zone. The only line that consistently gave Montreal fits was the Kaleta, Gaustad McCormick/Gerbe line.

I'm not crazy about the "giving them fits" cliche, but I agree that Kaleta had a very nice game.

5) Most significantly, we have been crying for five years for leaders to emerge from our core — guys who produce under pressure and make plays when adversity strikes. I present four examples from tonight that should not be overlooked:

• Nathan Gerbe was the only skater who played every shift looking to make a difference. It’s not unusual, but it cannot be taken for granted.

• Just when it looked like the second period was going to be even worse than the first, Drew Stafford said I want the puck, I want the collision, I want to make a difference. Then he did.

• Our best scorer wasn’t creating offence. Our warrior wasn’t winning battles. And then Gaustad cleanly won a clutch draw and Vanek buried the puck in a way only the best goal scorers can.

• FInally when we were down, our captain played like a captain. If you recorded the game, play it back and watch him. Watch how many times he was in the right position. Watch all the times he covered for Adam’s liabilities down low in our zone. Watch how many smart passes he makes. Watch his active stick, his active feet and the way he killed penalties. Watch the calmness and presence of mind setting up the winning goal.

We played a bad game and we won. That happens with good teams.

Good teams also bounce back after stinkers.

That’s what I’ll be watching for against Florida.

So far, I am enjoying the ride.

Good stuff here. As for Pommer, I thought he was fairly sloppy and ineffective in the first period (just like his teammates) but I totally agree that he made a ton of great 2-way plays in the 2nd half of the game and during winning time. It was indeed steady leadership at crunch time. Nicely done.

A few other game notes:

1. Pretty good bounceback game by MAG. I don't think Weber gets in on Thursday night.

2. I agree with XB that Lindy essentially shortened his rotation in the 3rd period. Leino was the odd man out. \

3. I think Ennis was on with Roy and Stafford for a few shifts, while Gerbe was on with Gaustad and Kaleta. Both of those lines looked pretty good, although this left McCormick, Leino and Boyes riding the bench.

4. I thought Ehrhoff was pretty solid tonight. Nothing flashy on offense, but consistently in the right spot on D.

5. Enroth needs to keep playing every 4th game. Holy mackerel did Miller look good.

6. Subban took a few dives tonight and got a penalty on Vanek (I think) out of one of them.

7. He didn't play much, but McCormick did exactly what he is supposed to do tonight -- play hard, change the momentum by being physical when the Sabres are down and take on the other team's tough guy so his teammates don't have to do so -- and he did it well.

8. My 3 stars:

1. Miller

2. Leopold

3. Pacioretty

Good win.

1. Pretty good bounceback game by MAG. I don't think Weber gets in on Thursday night.

I can not agree with this in the slightest. The only time I notice Mag doing anything good was when he tapped the pass back to pommers off that goose faceoff win. He was pushed off the puck in his own zone on at least 3 occasions. If that was a pretty good game for him then thats sad. I will agree that MAG's passing ability keeps him in the lineup for now, although his lack of toughness will be detrimental and has been. I am sorry but the team looked better with Weber on defense then it does with mag floundering around. You put pressure on him and he coughs up the puck. Personally I dont think Weber will see the ice anytime in the next week or two but with that said, MAG needs to have a better game that what he did tonight because it looked like more of the same from the carolina to the pittsburg to the montreal games, weak, little offense to show for it, and something that teams will exploit if he does not get better. Also I want MAG no where near my PP... again pressured and the puck goes the other way.

I can date supermodels as well. Doesn't mean either is going to happen. The Sabres nor the NHL work like this.

There are no easy wins in Montreal. It's got to be the toughest place to play.....it usually results in at least two phantom penalty calls.

Agreed. i think this is a very tough game for the Sabres. Montreal is struggling and needs a good showing for their fans. I'm hoping the D asserts itself early and sets the tone.

Ok, ok you three were all right. It was a lucky win, with a sharp Miller in goal.

I saw lotstof mistakes, starting with one from Myers after 8 seconds into the game. On the other hand Miller was great sometimes lucky when Montreal was not able to score on an open net.

And our second goal was such beauty, fantastic.

Good teams win games when they are superior, great teams also win games when they were inferior.

Other than their basic "we own hockey" pretentious attitude, A couple years back a handful of them decided to pick on my 13 year old cousin walking out after a game. His 22 year old Marine Sergeant Brother and I were standing a few yards behind him. They didn't seem to have the same courage once someone a little bigger than they were showed up. I explained their options to them in their native tongue, one of them spit on the marine, the other explained what he would do to my mother (also standing near us) and, thankfully, we walked away without further escalation. :angry:

jesus ######. Ok fair enuff man, guess that answers my question. Some people do make me wonder...

I'd venture to say this Montreal team are the "Hab Nots." It's good to see Montreal, Boston and Ottawa in the dumpster early on, although that will probably change with Boston.

Here's an idea. When (if) Hecht comes back, put him on a line with Leino and Boyes. The High Priced Free Agent Line.

Not gonna read the whole thread, but here are my impressions:

1. I really liked the vocal arrangements for the national anthems. They used a few unconventional chords, but they were very easy on my ears. I almost wouldn't have minded listening to them some more.

2. First half of the game the Sabres legs were in sand. It wasn't so much that they seemed slow, it was more like they just didn't care.

3. Miller. 'nough said.

4. Vanek's goal was special to watch.

5. Good effort for most of the second half of the game. For the other parts where the team wasn't so good... Miller.

Boyes was heading for the bench. You could blame him for leaving the forward all alone but I bet he thought Ehrhoff had the winger pinned along the boards.

Boyes really needs to step up his game or he may find himself on another team by Xmas. It's one thing to be a floater and a scorer, but when you are a floater who is not scoring, there is no place on the team for you.

7. He didn't play much, but McCormick did exactly what he is supposed to do tonight -- play hard, change the momentum by being physical when the Sabres are down and take on the other team's tough guy so his teammates don't have to do so -- and he did it well.

Remember when generating that energy and momentum was Kaleta's role? I've been very impressed and pleased to see Kaleta play more actual game situations, esp. penalty kill. He is becoming a complete, full-time, part of the short bench, kind of player.

Also, Vanek seems to finally pulling his full weight, shift in, shift out. No more coasting for him. That's good.

Archived