GDT: Sabres at Montreal 10/18/11 7:30PM

spndnchz

I could not tune in until 30 seconds before Vanek's goal. Looked like a pile of garbage in the 3rd so I can't imagine what a steamin' pile the 1st and 2nd could have been....

Oh well, take the 2 and run !

It was a Tuesday game in October against a division rival and we won. It was perfect.

You need to watch the saves highlights at NHL.com. Some of those saves were very impressive.

The one I am thinking about, and it's easy in my mind's eye because I didn't see all that much of the game, was not. It was like a shortstop throwing to first.

You need to watch the saves highlights at NHL.com. Some of those saves were very impressive.

I think this game proved that we should trade Miller and make Enroth our starter...

Leino was bad. No questions about it. Ennis got bumped to a line with Roy and Stafford and then Gerbe went back with his buddies and I think that worked a lot better. I still like Leino but his 4.5mil contract is making me nervous at the current moment. With that being said it could take him a little bit to get used to the sabres system and get going. I think that MAG was soft again in his own zone. Ehrhoff was ok. Regehr was a tank and Myers needs to settle in... I am thinking at about game 10-15 he should but honestly he hasnt been bad he has just been jumpy/off in his own end. Vanek is reaching a new level and I hope he stays there, the theory of have vanek shoot more is working so far. Roy is getting better and better but I dont think he has made it back to full speed yet. Final thing, this team won a game they shouldn't have and thats awesome!

edit: Stafford was great

I really liked Stafford tonight, especially how strong he was on the puck. He may turn into that player we have been looking for that can take over the game in the offensive zone by himself. Now to see if he can stay consistent.

He flattened someone in the defensive zone right before he set up the first goal. A really nice effort by Stafford.

He flattened someone in the defensive zone right before he set up the first goal. A really nice effort by Stafford.

As soon as I saw that I knew we were going to score on that shift. Staff didn't even think about playing that puck. His only goal was to kill that guy so that that guy couldn't play it either.

McCormick should have gotten a star as well.

This is what good teams are able to accomplish. Montreal was obviously the more desperate team tonight and they clearly came out hungrier than us. But with the talent we have we don't necessarily have to match that intensity on a nightly basis. We can whether the storm with our goaltending and defense, wait until the opponent loses their edge and pounce. There will obviously be games where we come and strong and finish strong, but there will be nights like this where we can rely on our overall depth to carry us out with 2 points.

Brad Boyes 4 million and Jochen Hecht 3.5 million in cap space. This is the last year for those two and Hecht will most likely replace Boyes in the lineup this week. Darcy better make it money well spent next off season. So far the early returns on Leino aren't too impressive. Regehr is McKee-esque, and Ehrhoff has been OK. To be fair with Leino, it's a new system and a new NHL position for him, which he hasn't played in years so I'm willing to give him time, but Lindy sat him late in this game so it looks there's going to be some growing pains where he's concerned. A few times in previous games he's had some good puck control, but not much else.

Obviously we stole the game. Didn't we all agree that it would take probably 15 to 20 games before the team got comfortable with the new additions? To me, I like the fact that we played horrible at (several) times and still won the game. We have a good team, let's get use to each others tendancies and see how we do. Leino and MAG scare me but Robyn and Vanek seem the real deal this year. Miller is showing that he's ready for another big season. This win is on him, but hey, we pay him huge dollars so I don't expect anything less. Let's Go Buffalo!!

Archived