GDT: Sabres at Montreal 10/18/11 7:30PM

spndnchz

Just a relatively minor complaint/observation but every day NHL network shows a re-run of one of the previous nights games, and every day it has been in high-definition. So of course the day they choose to replay the Sabres game, they only acquire a standard-definition version of the Sabres feed. :nana:

Boyes really needs to step up his game or he may find himself on another team by Xmas. It's one thing to be a floater and a scorer, but when you are a floater who is not scoring, there is no place on the team for you.

This may go contrary to current wisdom but when they watch film today they will see Boyes and Leino were not so bad last night. Ennis put the line offside - Leopold had his shot blocked, Sekera had his shot blocked - Boyes created two scoring chances.

There was a mistake by a defensmen on nearly each of their shifts (except for Regher).

What it looked like to me was that Montreal forwards aren't collapsing on that lines shifts and they are trying to pick the defensemen. They don't respect Ennis' ability to get inside to the net. I think that was Ruffs impulse to throw McCormick out there with them. Anyway. 5x5 it wasn't working.

Leino

Weber working with Shakira too.

Thank god. Weber should have been in last night. I can't believe Lindy (or any head coach) would make personnel decisions based on playing in a player's home town... I'm convinced that's why Gragnani played, and also why he started the game w/ Myers (which almost led to an immediate goal against... though it was Myers fault).

seems more likely that gaustad and kaleta moved up to play with gerbe. (wasn't that the trio that worked out together all summer?)

hamilton tweet re lines today.

Lindy is going to mess with lines all season long, so I am not going to get to worked up over this except to say that I think Gerbe has a better chance at offensive success when paired with top 9 forwards versus 4th line grinders.

Looks like Boyes and Leino are in the doghouse.

Both are practicing on a fourth line of McCormick-Leino-Boyes this morning.

Rather than a demotion for Leino and Boyes, or a promotion for McCormick - I think it's more of a lateral move. What Leino needs is someone to crash the net and draw attention and give him a little more room to work and someone to pass to. Boyes is floating off on the backside of the net and has been zero help, and Ennis wants to do the same thing Leino is doing. Ennis is obviously not equipped to be crashing the net very often although he did so to great effect on the Leopold goal last night, and was promptly taken to the ice for his efforts). I think this is Lindy playing with his pieces trying to find what Leino needs with him to make the line effective. A tough net crasher is what I felt he needed - i would just prefer it was someone with a little more offensive touch. Maybe Kassian next year?

seems more likely that gaustad and kaleta moved up to play with gerbe. (wasn't that the trio that worked out together all summer?)

hamilton tweet re lines today.

Thanks!

I think I see it more as a solution for where to put Ennis.

Outside speed and open ice ability are his skill set.

Hecht-Leino-Boyes make the most sense to me.

McCormick until Yo-Yo is ready if the goal is to roll lines.

Thank god. Weber should have been in last night. I can't believe Lindy (or any head coach) would make personnel decisions based on playing in a player's home town... I'm convinced that's why Gragnani played, and also why he started the game w/ Myers (which almost led to an immediate goal against... though it was Myers fault).

If that were the case, Weber would have played in Pittsburgh. The real reason was in the News: Ruff doesn't want young players looking over their shoulder every time they have a bad game. But now, it's two bad games in a row.

If that were the case, Weber would have played in Pittsburgh. The real reason was in the News: Ruff doesn't want young players looking over their shoulder every time they have a bad game. But now, it's two bad games in a row.

Lindy doesn't want the young kids lokking over their shoulder after a bad game? if it plays like $hit looks like $hit smells like $hit it is $hit. they ought to be held accountable for their play.

Apparently it was so players didn't fear for there position. How much truth is in that I don't know.

Given Tampa's and Florida's ability to play a physical game and score it seems logical that Lindy goes to Weber for these two games to bulk up his d a bit. Weber is fresh,needs the work and Mags has not helped himself lately. (not bad in the Montreal game in comparison to other d men who get paid a ton more) I thought Lindy would go to Weber for the Montreal game for the same reasons but, wrong again.

Lindy is going to mess with lines all season long, so I am not going to get to worked up over this except to say that I think Gerbe has a better chance at offensive success when paired with top 9 forwards versus 4th line grinders.

I like that you can put him on any line though.

But now is as good a time as any to juggle.

After 5 games or so teams start gameplanning rather than guess at what they are0 going to see and we start seeing what the real season will look like.

Montreal had a good plan. First time I sensed that Buffalos D was really pressured.

I can't believe Lindy (or any head coach) would make personnel decisions based on playing in a player's home town... I'm convinced that's why Gragnani played, and also why he started the game w/ Myers

it doesn't defy belief that lindy would think that being in his hometown (not just any hometown, btw) would elevate MAG's game. i get the sense that there's a commonly held belief that the french-canadians play better when they're in their home province (heck, i think that's partly why the local team used to try to stock its roster with them). it may have been something of a gamble, and the gamble may not have paid off, but the "i can't believe" business is over-stated.

Lindy doesn't want the young kids lokking over their shoulder after a bad game? if it plays like $hit looks like $hit smells like $hit it is $hit. they ought to be held accountable for their play.

who's suggesting that there's no accountability? like any good coach, lindy is trying to strike the delicate balance between accountability and debilitating anxiety.

I don't think Grags was that bad last night. It's not like he's getting caught looking. He's playing his game, and it can be scary sometimes so long as he continues to activate o offense and no one swings back to cover his position.

I think Grags continues to get opportunities to meld with this team.

I like that you can put him on any line though.

But now is as good a time as any to juggle.

After 5 games or so teams start gameplanning rather than guess at what they are0 going to see and we start seeing what the real season will look like.

Montreal had a good plan. First time I sensed that Buffalos D was really pressured.

Actually X--it seemed like I was watching the 4th and 5th period of the Hurricane game. Only difference was Miller absolutely stood on his head to get the win.

Sabres have to develop a chemistry and identity with all of the changes--it will come but also take time.

I look forward to seeing Weber in the lineup. I think the D has enough puck-movers even without Gragnani but need Weber's grit. I though Leopold was the best blueliner overall last night.

I don't think Grags was that bad last night. It's not like he's getting caught looking. He's playing his game, and it can be scary sometimes so long as he continues to activate o offense and no one swings back to cover his position.

I think Grags continues to get opportunities to meld with this team.

I agree with all of this. I thought MAG was much improved as compared with the Pittsburgh game and that he didn't make many defensive mistakes (as opposed to, say, Myers, who made quite a few in the first period).

I'll also note that he played a critical role in Vanek's goal -- he gathered in the puck from Gaustad's faceoff win and dished it to Pommer perfectly.

He's the best passer on the team. Also, the Florida/TB games are usually track meets (I can sense a Vanek hattie coming on), so these matchups should suit his game.

I wouldn't be shocked if he got benched for Weber, but I'm not expecting it tomorrow night.

Archived