Now that the regular season is upon us..........

Weave

The first game is nearly here. The roster is pretty close to set for game 1. We've seen the line combos, D pairings, the goalies got a good lookin' at. I think it is safe to say that we all have alot of optimism. Even Team Stormcloud sees that ground appears to have been gained. But the team isn't a shoo-in. Like nearly every team in the league, there are weak spots. So, while acknowledging that this is probably the most exciting season start since the lockout ended, let's talk about what concerns us about the team facing Anahiem in a few days.

I see two things that give me pause. 1. Lack of center depth and 2. I still think we are missing a heart and soul guy in our top 6.

Right now sitting here today I am cofortable with our centers. Roy, Leino, Adam, and Goose, but..... we have no more centers in the system if someone goes down. I mean, if Adam falters or Leino gets hurt we are right back to subbing wingers in the center role again. None of us want to see Boyes or Hecht taking faceoffs again but it is a long season and I think center depth is going to come back to haunt us. My biggest concern is a couple games into round 1 we are watching Boyes or Hecht struggle at center ice.

And..... I really like the potential firepower of this team. There is no good reason we can't have two 30+ goal and and another four or five 20+ goal scorers this year. But I still think we are missing the guy who is going to pick up the team at crunch time. The Zetterberg/Iginla/Erik Staal kind of guy that just goes out and grabs the puck and the team and says "follow me".

Should be a fun ride. Let's not get into a "just enjoy it, man" exchange. Let's keep this analytical, interesting, yet fun.

The first game is nearly here. The roster is pretty close to set for game 1. We've seen the line combos, D pairings, the goalies got a good lookin' at. I think it is safe to say that we all have alot of optimism. Even Team Stormcloud sees that ground appears to have been gained. But the team isn't a shoo-in. Like nearly every team in the league, there are weak spots. So, while acknowledging that this is probably the most exciting season start since the lockout ended, let's talk about what concerns us about the team facing Anahiem in a few days.

I see two things that give me pause. 1. Lack of center depth and 2. I still think we are missing a heart and soul guy in our top 6.

Right now sitting here today I am cofortable with our centers. Roy, Leino, Adam, and Goose, but..... we have no more centers in the system if someone goes down. I mean, if Adam falters or Leino gets hurt we are right back to subbing wingers in the center role again. None of us want to see Boyes or Hecht taking faceoffs again but it is a long season and I think center depth is going to come back to haunt us. My biggest concern is a couple games into round 1 we are watching Boyes or Hecht struggle at center ice.

And..... I really like the potential firepower of this team. There is no good reason we can't have two 30+ goal and and another four or five 20+ goal scorers this year. But I still think we are missing the guy who is going to pick up the team at crunch time. The Zetterberg/Iginla/Erik Staal kind of guy that just goes out and grabs the puck and the team and says "follow me".

Should be a fun ride. Let's not get into a "just enjoy it, man" exchange. Let's keep this analytical, interesting, yet fun.

I'll bite.

Not so much a concern as an observation. Last year, they had the most back to back games of anyone in the league at 22. Their record was 11-8-3. yah, that's not horrible, but 4 of those wins came in the last 8 games of the season when they were "in the zone." And two of them were in OT. This year, they have 21 back-to-back games, again leading the league in such games. It's not the first night that concerns me; it's the second night. Just wondering how they'll fair this year with the almost-same monstrous back-to-back sked. This year, they benefit from having all the B2B games in at least the same time zone. Last year, they had to play Philly, then fly to Minnesota (a game they won in OT, BTW).

So, like I said, not necessarily a concern. I wonder if T-Pegs upgraded the bus so they're more comfortable for road trips? Might help the team relax better? Dunno. 11-8-3 isn't shabby, but it could be better. Stretch that into a full season, and they're probably sitting with about less than 60 points. Not exactly play-off material.

Just a thought.

I would like to see some improvement/change of style on the PP and PK. Some half-wall and behind the net creativity on the PP and some improvement on SHG against too. On the PK, I'd like to see an attacking PK rather than the collapse the net and block shots.

I'd also like to see some better improvement in faceoffs. I think this is the achilles heal of this team. They don't win enough important faceoffs.

Biggest 'concerns:'

1. How well do the D-pairings gel & how quickly do they gel. On paper the D should be awesome and if it stays (reasonably) healthy I expect it to be strong down the stretch. Not sure what to expect the 1st 20 games (& hopefully learning curve is only 20 games, and not 40 games).

2. I don't see the 'mean' in the top 3 lines. Hopefully Stafford plays with some of it, he showed signs of it some last year. They'll need it in the playoffs. And they'll need it from more than just 1 guy.

3. I didn't watch much of the preseason (caught part of 1 of the Loaf games), as someone posted above, I'd like to see them better on the faceoffs. Did Roy finally figure out how to win 1, or were Leino or Adam decent. Gaustad will be injured for a few games somewhere along the line, it'd be nice to see them able to win a faceoff or 2 when he's not taking the draw.

4. Will the Pegulaville we are 1 big happy family overcome potential petty jealousies if Leino or Ehrhoff start slowly?

5. What happens when a center goes down to injury or worse, Leino &/or Adam isn't effective?

The reason they're listed as 'concerns' and not concerns is I expect 2&3 can be fixed at the trade deadline if necessary and I do believe the team will have good chemistry so #4 isn't a huge concern either. If Hecht is healthy and the injury at center is short term, I'm not too worried about that either. If Hecht stays out, or he or Boyes has to play center for more than a handful of games, this could be the biggest problem of the 5. Of course, 5 could be fixed via trade as well.

I actually thought of listing 4 as the diametric opposite of what I did list; will players feel a complacency due to the Pegulaville we are 1 big happy family, but went against it because there are enough bodies down in Ra-cha-cha at all spots but center that people should feel the pressure to perform.

1. PK .....the top of the box is a bit of a concern for me at forward. Pominville looks healthy, but Connolly and Hecht were excellent penalty killers and are gone/unavailable. I'm not sure this has been sorted out in the preseason. Kaleta is an option, but not a great first unit option. I think this is going to be a Lindy committee project.

2. Center depth. (as stated above). Especially if injuries pile up.

3. No proven shut down line. The plows from last year ...Grier and Nediemeyer were more effective than given credit for. They weren't going to score but they were big bodies that could protect the puck.

4. Corners. Though there is scoring depth at the forward positions, when the PP isn't working it is going to mean digging pucks out of corners especially when teams try to slow the game down on the Sabres - which could be a lot. (seriously, I think the best way to beat the Sabres is to force a half-court game).

Now and then dumping and digging keeps a defense honest - but it also takes some nuts.

1. PK .....the top of the box is a bit of a concern for me at forward. Pominville looks healthy, but Connolly and Hecht were excellent penalty killers and are gone/unavailable. I'm not sure this has been sorted out in the preseason. Kaleta is an option, but not a great first unit option. I think this is going to be a Lindy committee project.

I'm betting Gerbe is going to be on one of the top two PK units. Probably see Vanek on the #2 unit as well. Did we see Leino on PK in the preseason at all?

3. No proven shut down line. The plows from last year ...Grier and Nediemeyer were more effective than given credit for. They weren't going to score but they were big bodies that could protect the puck.

I truly expected a Gerbe-Hecht-Pominville line for just this purpose. maybe it shows up in 3rd periods.

4. Corners. Though there is scoring depth at the forward positions, when the PP isn't working it is going to mean digging pucks out of corners especially when teams try to slow the game down on the Sabres - which could be a lot. (seriously, I think the best way to beat the Sabres is to force a half-court game).

Now and then dumping and digging keeps a defense honest - but it also takes some nuts.

I agree with all of this and hadn't really considered the half-court game. Makes sense.

My concerns...

1. Lindy once again botches the goalie rotation, and after Xmas rides Miller into the ground.

2. Top 6 is still too soft and it will show down the stretch and in the playoffs.

3. The "elite" defense(to steal a term from Quinny), turns about to be good but not great.

4. Much like last year, Myers struggles in his own end both with and without the puck.

Wow that was a fast summer. Haven't really seen them yet but been trying to keep up with reading about them on the web.

A bit of the same as already posted here but here's my 2 cents anyways.

1.) Team chemistry overall, the D pairings, all the lines and PP and PK as well. There were a lot of changes up and down the line up and I think it takes time to really find the best combinations and then allow them to gel, not sure they got that with the preseason.

2.) Depth; As stated by others Center is a big concern but then also for the special teams especially while we are trying to build that chemistry. If some key players go down while that is still working it's way out then I think as Taro said 20 games can become 40 games pretty quick.

3.) No Bada$$ line; Along the lines of X'B's observations I do not really see a line that any team really fears playing against.

4.) No name, er I mean no reputation new offensive coach. Is our PP really going to get better or are we just going to add Erhoff with Pommers on the other point and stick Vanek in front ?

5.) I agree that a tactic to slow down the Sabres(or any puck possesion team for that matter) is with the half court press make em play the corner's, banging bodies and paying the price. We didn't handle that well last year especially in the Playoff's, can we counter that with the current roster or will it require some help from the farm ala a Foligno, Kassian ?

6.) Does Great expectations > good results = frustration ? I hope not and that this team can live up to the hype and not stumble for a bit coming out of the gate.

7.) this ones for me, Center Ice package ordered ? check. Liquor and Beer supply stocked? Check

Okay let's get it started.

My concerns...

1. Lindy once again botches the goalie rotation, and after Xmas rides Miller into the ground.

2. Top 6 is still too soft and it will show down the stretch and in the playoffs.

3. The "elite" defense(to steal a term from Quinny), turns about to be good but not great.

4. Much like last year, Myers struggles in his own end both with and without the puck.

You took the words from my keyboard.

especially Lindy's penchant for goaltenders use.

Great thread. I'm very excited for this season but certainly a lot of things have to go right. There is plenty of room for this not to happen. My chief worries:

1. Regehr is another Rivet -- plenty of guts, but the legs and the decision-making under pressure are in steep decline.

2. Myers is more like 1st half of last year Myers than 2nd half Myers. He has the body and the attitude, but it's not clear whether he has what is needed upstairs to be great.

3. Enroth, whether due to personal limitations or misuse by Lindy, plays more like Lalime than like last year Enroth -leading to an overworked Miller.

4. Miller plays worse than last year instead of rebounding to prior form.

5. Stafford proves that last year was just contract-year production, and co-leads the disinterested SGM brigade with Roy.

6. Leino turns out to be a decent 55-point skilled winger, not a difference-making playmaker at center.

7. Ennis and/or Getbe hit the sophomore slump.

8. Sekera and Weber can't make the leap to reliable NHL defenseman.

9. And of course the most important item -- the "top 6" continue to play like a bunch of nifty regular season fellows who don't have enough size or intensity to get it done in the playoffs.

When I look at each of these items in the abstract, I don't think any of them is more likely than not to occur (except, unfortunately, #9, although I'm open to being convinced). However, the law of averages says that at least a couple of them will occur (and I didn't include a major injury to a key player, which is always possible). The key will be whether this team has enough heart to overcome setbacks.

Possibly our toughness. If we get pushed around will guys like Boyes and Ennis be taken out of the game? I think we are in for a real fun ride this regular season but come Trade Deadline Day, Darcy better get us one or preferrably two veteran grinders for the playoffs.

1. Regehr is another Rivet -- plenty of guts, but the legs and the decision-making under pressure are in steep decline.

I wanted to add this to my concerns but couldn't bring myself to it...until you brought it up. :) We need a really good Regehr, not one who is on his last legs. Please please please let him have two very good years left in him.

When I look at each of these items in the abstract, I don't think any of them is more likely than not to occur (except, unfortunately, #9, although I'm open to being convinced). However, the law of averages says that at least a couple of them will occur (and I didn't include a major injury to a key player, which is always possible). The key will be whether this team has enough heart to overcome setbacks.

They did last year and adding the veterans they did, I'm not worried about that.

I wanted to add this to my concerns but couldn't bring myself to it...until you brought it up. :) We need a really good Regehr, not one who is on his last legs. Please please please let him have two very good years left in him.

Ya, I'll agree with this one too!

Regher is just 31. Not sure his knees are. But he is. :beer:

So, like I said, not necessarily a concern. I wonder if T-Pegs upgraded the bus so they're more comfortable for road trips? Might help the team relax better? Dunno. 11-8-3 isn't shabby, but it could be better. Stretch that into a full season, and they're probably sitting with about less than 60 points. Not exactly play-off material.

Just a thought.

Just wanted to say that this is 2011, and teams don't bus anymore, they fly everywhere. Even to Toronto.

As for concerns, not too sure. It's hard to tell right now but the team has played pretty flawless so far. Some legit concerns already posted here. My main concern i guess is we don't truly have a shutdown centerman on the roster. Someone mentioned in the other thread about Hecht should be cut, the poster said he's probably our best 2-way forward we have. Which is pretty accurate. Who do we put on the ice when we play a Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos to try to contain them? We've had problems in the past but last season Tim Connolly kinda took that role, he was winning faceoffs, and was facing the opponents top lines. He became a pretty legit 3rd line center. I just don't see it on this years squad, even with Hecht healthy. Our third line according to many consists of Luke Adam and Brad Boyes. It's another scoring line.

1. Whether Miller will get enough breaks (conversely, whether Enroth will get enough starts). I'm still a fan of the plan where the team breaks the schedule into four-game segments, picks one out of the four where Enroth starts, and does NOT move from that plan. I know, won't happen.

2. I'll have to wait until I've seen 5-8 games to comment further.

1. Whether Miller will get enough breaks (conversely, whether Enroth will get enough starts). I'm still a fan of the plan where the team breaks the schedule into four-game segments, picks one out of the four where Enroth starts, and does NOT move from that plan. I know, won't happen.

2. I'll have to wait until I've seen 5-8 games to comment further.

I actually don't think you'll see much Enroth in October. Maybe 2 starts the way the schedule looks.

I actually don't think you'll see much Enroth in October. Maybe 2 starts the way the schedule looks.

That's in line with the formula as long as he starts one of the first two in November. There are only 10 games in October.

So he probably won't start any.

Face-offs. Goose alone ain't gonna cut it.

Defensive cohesion. I have no doubt it will be better, but is Regehr what he was? Are Myers, Sekera and Weber what they can be? Do we have too many smoothies and too many guys who need twenty plus minutes a game?

Crunch time forwards. I would be shocked if we aren't among the leagues top scoring teams, but who will step up when the going gets tough?

Will our outstanding depth compensate for our lack of a true gambreaker and a traditional third line?

On paper this compares to '06 as our most talented, deepest team in thirty years. Do we have the right ingredients? If we don't, can we make the right deal?

My biggest concern is the return of the dreadful and stupid practice of: Alamo Mode. It doesn't work.

Other than that, I am not worried about ehrhoff starting slow and think Leino may start slow in points but will be fine in offensive/defensive zone so no real liability

I worry about Stafford and Boyes actually showing up.

Is Mike Weber going to be the physical force on def he can be.

Is Sekera going to impress?

Which Miller are we getting?

my biggest worry for this team is expectations.......... After Pegula gave the green light to improve this team by any and all means it is now on there backs to win, there is no more excuses for the players and I think Lindy is gonna go a little herb brooks on them at a few points of the season to drive that message home

Archived