Now that the regular season is upon us..........

Weave

I agree with some of the consensus concerns so far:

- Lindy's ability to manage Goalie Rotation

- Center Depth (Although with Adam's development, I will say it is better than I expected)

- Back to Back Games (ties in with the Goalie Rotation)

One other concern I have for this team is the target they will be wearing. This is a very good, highly skilled hockey team. The way to beat them will be to beat them down. I'm afraid that we're going to see the Goon Squad line-ups from a lot of opponents, especially in the division and against the Atlantic. This is going to take a larger toll than the already too long 82 game season will take. This combined with our cap tightness and our center depth makes me worry. At least we have thirty or forty NHL ready defensemen should we need them.

What concerns me is the how the Sabres stack up against the top teams at playoff time. Regular season doesn't mean much. Buffalo should roll over many of the patsies in this league. But when you get to the playoffs, that's when the true character comes out. I'm not so sure our main guys have it. I'm also afraid, by watching them in preseason that they're a puck possession team that can't score too much. It's kind of like someone who spends hours on the can with a case of constipation. They're on the spot but nothing happens. The PP hasn't produced in a long time...The goalies haven't been managed well in a long time...there is little Stanley Cup experience...Leadership is suspect...the lines keep switching...these are my main worries.

Ok, nice thread

1. I'll agree with Centre depth, but not too much as I think if necessary a trade can be pulled, we have enough depth on wing.

2. Regehr. Didn't think about it until it was mentioned earlier. I'm sure he has the legs for 2nd or 3rd line pairings still but top line might be difficult.

3. Ruff + Backup G = omfg. Will this particular equation change?

4. Vanek/Miller/Myers/Pomiville. Can and will these guys step it up (again in some cases).

5. Boyes. Not a concern, just a question, can be produce at some respectable level.

6. Trade Deadline + Regier. Depending on where we are, can he do what will need to be done (I don't even pretend to guess what that might be).

Hi gang...glad to be back as the regular season is about to start.

Good thread -- can't argue with much of it, but the biggest concern for me is how the Sabres will react to teams trying to slow them down. Someone used the phrase "make it a half-court game" and that's what I fear teams will attempt to do to Buffalo. Their ability to deal with those situations will tell us a lot about what to expect down the road.

Let's go, Buffalo!

Just wanted to say that this is 2011, and teams don't bus anymore, they fly everywhere. Even to Toronto.

Not really arguing, but there was a segment awhile back on Comcast showing the Flyers taking the train up to MSG for a Rangers game. Makes a ton of sense, really, since NY Penn Station is directly under MSG.

The first game is nearly here. The roster is pretty close to set for game 1. We've seen the line combos, D pairings, the goalies got a good lookin' at. I think it is safe to say that we all have alot of optimism. Even Team Stormcloud sees that ground appears to have been gained. But the team isn't a shoo-in. Like nearly every team in the league, there are weak spots. So, while acknowledging that this is probably the most exciting season start since the lockout ended, let's talk about what concerns us about the team facing Anahiem in a few days.

I see two things that give me pause. 1. Lack of center depth and 2. I still think we are missing a heart and soul guy in our top 6.

Right now sitting here today I am cofortable with our centers. Roy, Leino, Adam, and Goose, but..... we have no more centers in the system if someone goes down. I mean, if Adam falters or Leino gets hurt we are right back to subbing wingers in the center role again. None of us want to see Boyes or Hecht taking faceoffs again but it is a long season and I think center depth is going to come back to haunt us. My biggest concern is a couple games into round 1 we are watching Boyes or Hecht struggle at center ice.

And..... I really like the potential firepower of this team. There is no good reason we can't have two 30+ goal and and another four or five 20+ goal scorers this year. But I still think we are missing the guy who is going to pick up the team at crunch time. The Zetterberg/Iginla/Erik Staal kind of guy that just goes out and grabs the puck and the team and says "follow me".

Should be a fun ride. Let's not get into a "just enjoy it, man" exchange. Let's keep this analytical, interesting, yet fun.

I agree with everything you say there. We need a leader and a center.

Just wanted to say that this is 2011, and teams don't bus anymore, they fly everywhere. Even to Toronto.

Taken from an interview with Kevin Sylvester in June 2011:

Q. What do you do during the time on the plane/bus?

Kevin Sylvester: Talk with Harry about life and hockey

Kevin Sylvester: Talk with Harry about life and hockey on the bus. On the plane, read, watch movies, or do homework on upcoming games.. On the plane, read, watch movies, or do homework on upcoming games.

You're right. It IS 2011, which is why it's ridiculous that the team would fly EVERYwhere when fuel costs are so astronomical.

Taken from an interview with Kevin Sylvester in June 2011:

Kevin Sylvester: Talk with Harry about life and hockey

Kevin Sylvester: Talk with Harry about life and hockey on the bus. On the plane, read, watch movies, or do homework on upcoming games.. On the plane, read, watch movies, or do homework on upcoming games.

You're right. It IS 2011, which is why it's ridiculous that the team would fly EVERYwhere when fuel costs are so astronomical.

The "bus" he's referring to is probably the bus from the hotel to the arena. Outside of a couple exceptions (New York & LA Teams come to mind...possibly Buf-Toronto) Pro teams fly everywhere.

The "bus" he's referring to is probably the bus from the hotel to the arena. Outside of a couple exceptions (New York & LA Teams come to mind...possibly Buf-Toronto) Pro teams fly everywhere.

The Sabres typically take a bus up to TO. Pretty sure that's the only 1 they normally bus to.

The Sabres typically take a bus up to TO. Pretty sure that's the only 1 they normally bus to.

Unless they are pre-cleared, they should consider that for Pittsburgh, too. It is quicker to drive there than to fly, at least for a normal citizen.

Archived