Weber and McCormick need to be in the lineup EVERY night

LabattBlue

Forget Gragnani on the blueline, and whomever you believe the 13th forward is(may also be Gragnani), Weber & McCormick need to be in the lineup EVERY night. There is still a huge lack of physical play(body checking) and toughness(fighting) on this team, and these two know their roles and do it well.

I am anxious to see if Weber can raise his level of play to top-4 level or remain a 5-6-7 guy.

I'm with you on Weber, but why does MAG automatically sit instead of Sekera? I can see those two alternating time in and out of the lineup all year if the other 5 are healthy.

Sorry. I'm not on the MAG bandwagon yet. He played better than I expected in a handful of games along with the playoffs last season. Nowhere near enough where I'm ready to see him in the lineup instead of Sekera(unless it is due to injury).

Gotta say I agree here. Let Adam get more experience in Rochester, keep McCormick in the lineup every night as your 4th line center, and let Sekera start the season in the pressbox. The Sabres have two purely physical defensemen on the roster - Regher and Weber. Both should be playing every night unless Weber plays himself out of the top 6. Sekera and MAG may be interchangeable parts, but MAG deserves to start the season in the top 6 based on his playoff performance alone.

I think MAG has to pass waivers now, no?

He does, but that won't even be attempted. They have 7 d-men and would be crazy to carry any less.

As far as Adam is concerned, he's going to be in the 2005 Roy/Pominville position. He start the year in the AHL and will be expected to step right in and play some strong hockey should the need arise.

This is exactly why Weber has the upper hand over Grags. Look at all the puck moving defensemen we have! Myers, Leo, Erhoff, Sekera. Regher is the only stay at home guy we have. weber seems to provide more to our D core than Grags does. Which is too bad because Grags had such a good playoff series offensively, but honestly the truth is we don't need him right now.

He does, but that won't even be attempted. They have 7 d-men and would be crazy to carry any less.

As far as Adam is concerned, he's going to be in the 2005 Roy/Pominville position. He start the year in the AHL and will be expected to step right in and play some strong hockey should the need arise.

Really? Did not think he had enough games.

Really? Did not think he had enough games.

It's not the number of games at this point, it's the number of years he's been a pro. In fact, he had to clear waivers at the start of last season too. They couldn't even send him back to Portland last year for the playoffs after the Flyers series last year because he again had to clear.

At this point, ever single one of our top 7 d-men have to clear to be moved. Myers might not actually (I'm too lazy to check the exact numbers on that one), but obviously that's not happening at any point.

I'm with you on Weber, but why does MAG automatically sit instead of Sekera? I can see those two alternating time in and out of the lineup all year if the other 5 are healthy.

While I'd be happy to see Weber play well enough to force his way into a permanent spot in the lineup, I expect Sekera to be the one who is never or almost never healthy-scratched, while Weber and MAG fight it out for #6.

It's not the number of games at this point, it's the number of years he's been a pro. In fact, he had to clear waivers at the start of last season too. They couldn't even send him back to Portland last year for the playoffs after the Flyers series last year because he again had to clear.

At this point, ever single one of our top 7 d-men have to clear to be moved. Myers might not actually (I'm too lazy to check the exact numbers on that one), but obviously that's not happening at any point.

Myers is subject to waivers too.

While I'd be happy to see Weber play well enough to force his way into a permanent spot in the lineup, I expect Sekera to be the one who is never or almost never healthy-scratched, while Weber and MAG fight it out for #6.

I see both Sekera and MAG as complementary to Weber, which is why I'd have him as a certainty for the last pair. I can't imagine a Sekera-MAG pairing; Lindy would have to shuffle the whole blueline in that situation, no?

I see both Sekera and MAG as complementary to Weber, which is why I'd have him as a certainty for the last pair. I can't imagine a Sekera-MAG pairing; Lindy would have to shuffle the whole blueline in that situation, no?

I see your point, but I don't think the decision will come down to tough defenseman vs. skating defenseman. I think the guy that sits will be the guy that makes the highest percentage of bad decisions in the defensive zone. Since that usually comes down to experience, it's most likely that MAG will be the odd man out. However, there isn't a huge amount of spread between the 3 of them on this facet of play, especially if MAG plays the way he did in the playoffs, so I can't say I'd be shocked with any of the 3 being the healthy scratch.

I see your point, but I don't think the decision will come down to tough defenseman vs. skating defenseman. I think the guy that sits will be the guy that makes the highest percentage of bad decisions in the defensive zone. Since that usually comes down to experience, it's most likely that MAG will be the odd man out. However, there isn't a huge amount of spread between the 3 of them on this facet of play, especially if MAG plays the way he did in the playoffs, so I can't say I'd be shocked with any of the 3 being the healthy scratch.

As long as I never see Sekera-MAG together, fine.

Barring injury I see no reason that Weber wouldn't be in the lineup every night. He made great strides last season and is clearly a Top 4 defenseman on this team, imo. But I agree that both should be in the lineup all season.

Top 4? Really? I would say he's going to be best as a 14-16 minute guy.

Not a guy that can play the power-play, and probably not a top 4 option on the PK.

I think he's #6, and I think Gragnani will challenge him for that.

Having said that...Weber's a nice guy to have in the mix. But If he comes close to top 4 minutes, I'll be surprised.

Not a guy that can play the power-play, and probably not a top 4 option on the PK.

Having said that...Weber's a nice guy to have in the mix. But If he comes close to top 4 minutes, I'll be surprised.

Not necessarily "literally" in the Top 4, but in terms of defense it goes: Myers, Regehr, Ehrhoff, and then Weber. Sekera, Leopold and Gragnani are, of course, offensive defensemen and will get more time on the PP (along with Myers/Ehrhoff), but in terms of actual "defensive talent" ie stopping the other team from scoring, I'd put Weber above all three of them.

He might not get time on the PP, and though I would suspect he sees some PK duty, even if he doesn't -- you can bet when the Sabres are trying to hold on to a one or two goal lead late in game, Weber is going to see more of that ice time than a Sekera or Gragnani. And IMO his spot on the team was never in question to begin with.

But all that said, I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if he DOES end up in the "literal" Top 4 this season. There's a ton of different defense combinations Ruff could use throughout the season and not too many of them worry me at all, so we'll have to wait and see how it plays out. I definitely consider Weber a staple on our defense moving forward.

You'd better be quiet or Mike Weber will kick your ass. Sliced bread wishes it was as good as Mike Weber.

I agree that we need some more toughness up front, bigtime.

However - Tyler Myers showed some good angst during that Flyers series last year, and I wouldn't be surprised if he shows more of that this season. The addition of Regehr should also help there. BUT - those are two more d-men. Who's going to provide it on the offense and forecheck besides McCormick?

I agree that we need some more toughness up front, bigtime.

However - Tyler Myers showed some good angst during that Flyers series last year, and I wouldn't be surprised if he shows more of that this season. The addition of Regehr should also help there. BUT - those are two more d-men. Who's going to provide it on the offense and forecheck besides McCormick?

Hopefully, Goose, Kaleta, and...Adam?

Archived