Weber and McCormick need to be in the lineup EVERY night

LabattBlue

I agree that we need some more toughness up front, bigtime.

However - Tyler Myers showed some good angst during that Flyers series last year, and I wouldn't be surprised if he shows more of that this season. The addition of Regehr should also help there. BUT - those are two more d-men. Who's going to provide it on the offense and forecheck besides McCormick?

If Kaleta can stay healthy, I really liked the goose/gerbe/kaleta line in pre-season. im not a big gaustad fan but i think with kaleta on the same line he's forced to be a little more physical by default. and gerbe is a nice compliment to that duo, he's not big, but he's scrappy. he'll throw a hit now and then.

As long as I never see Sekera-MAG together, fine.

Well, I don't think I can make any promises there. I think when those 2 are dressing, they are most likely the 3rd pair.

Barring injury I see no reason that Weber wouldn't be in the lineup every night. He made great strides last season and is clearly a Top 4 defenseman on this team, imo. But I agree that both should be in the lineup all season.

I like Weber too, but Myers, Regehr, Ehrhoff and Leopold are pretty firmly established as the top 4.

Top 4? Really? I would say he's going to be best as a 14-16 minute guy.

Not a guy that can play the power-play, and probably not a top 4 option on the PK.

I think he's #6, and I think Gragnani will challenge him for that.

Having said that...Weber's a nice guy to have in the mix. But If he comes close to top 4 minutes, I'll be surprised.

I agree with this post generally and especially the bolded part, but I think Weber is likely #4 on the PK, after Myers, Regehr and Ehrhoff.

However - Tyler Myers showed some good angst during that Flyers series last year, and I wouldn't be surprised if he shows more of that this season.

Really? You could tell that he was experiencing anxiety and dread and doing some soulsearching?

Well, I don't think I can make any promises there. I think when those 2 are dressing, they are most likely the 3rd pair.

I like Weber too, but Myers, Regehr, Ehrhoff and Leopold are pretty firmly established as the top 4.

I'm not so sure about Leopold being in the Top 4 by seasons end. I don't think it would take much for Weber to leapfrog him. He has the ability to be MUCH better in his own end, and that is what matters most come playoff time in terms of the blueliners.

I'm not so sure about Leopold being in the Top 4 by seasons end. I don't think it would take much for Weber to leapfrog him. He has the ability to be MUCH better in his own end, and that is what matters most come playoff time in terms of the blueliners.

I agree with this - Leopold had better bring his A game every night or he will definitely be in the rotation for a spot in the press box. The team needs to find out whether Grags' end of season heroics can be the norm for him. He will be given every opportunity to fail.

I didn't like Leopold's defensive game much last year, and I agree that Weber (or Reggie or MAG for that matter) could surpass him by year-end. I was responding to the statement that Weber "is clearly in the top 4." I think this is incorrect because I think at this point (i.e. starting the season), the top 4 is set.

I agree with this post generally and especially the bolded part, but I think Weber is likely #4 on the PK, after Myers, Regehr and Ehrhoff.

I think Leopold and Sekera will get more time mostly because Weber has a tendency to struggle coming out of Miller's stick side corner on his backhand.

I think Leopold and Sekera will get more time mostly because Weber has a tendency to struggle coming out of Miller's stick side corner on his backhand.

Interesting. I'll keep an eye out for that. I will say that I think Weber generally makes an equivalent or fewer number of mistakes in the defensive zone relative to Leopold and Reggie, and that he is better than those 2 at clearing the crease, which is useful on the PK.

Interesting. I'll keep an eye out for that. I will say that I think Weber generally makes an equivalent or fewer number of mistakes in the defensive zone relative to Leopold and Reggie, and that he is better than those 2 at clearing the crease, which is useful on the PK.

On the PK depth chart I would put him behind Regher, Myers, and Erhoff on his strong side, I think he's the last option out of 7 on his weak side.

But as Myers can play either side and and Dmen commit penalties he'll probably see a fair amount of time between 2nd and 3rd unit PK

Does anyone think the Sabres could still be shopping a D man? Even the kids that were sent down have potential, especially after a little seasoning in the AHL.

Absolutely. Morrison is still an NHL player and Rochester is loaded. McNabb, Schiestel, Brennan, Biega, Persson.

Once poor starting teams are ready for that December shake-up - I wouldn't be surprised if Darcy moves and

trades from a position of strength.

Absolutely. Morrison is still an NHL player and Rochester is loaded. McNabb, Schiestel, Brennan, Biega, Persson.

Once poor starting teams are ready for that December shake-up - I wouldn't be surprised if Darcy moves and

trades from a position of strength.

Of course Morrison, though I find it interesting he had no takers. I wasn't thinking of the kids in Rochester, as they're very cap-friendly now.

I was thinking out of the group of MAGs, Sekera, Leopold, and Weber. Any chance one of those guys will go? I would think MAGs and Sekera are the most expendable from the group. I would add Leopold, but if LR had a "C" on him for preseason, well, I think we all know about LR's man-love for D-men; he won't go.

I guess regardless of the scenario, I absolutely agree that Darcy will have the upper hand no matter what once the other teams start looking for trades.

Of course Morrison, though I find it interesting he had no takers. I wasn't thinking of the kids in Rochester, as they're very cap-friendly now.

I was thinking out of the group of MAGs, Sekera, Leopold, and Weber. Any chance one of those guys will go? I would think MAGs and Sekera are the most expendable from the group. I would add Leopold, but if LR had a "C" on him for preseason, well, I think we all know about LR's man-love for D-men; he won't go.

I guess regardless of the scenario, I absolutely agree that Darcy will have the upper hand no matter what once the other teams start looking for trades.

Actually I would think the most likely move would be Sekera or Gragnani as the puckmovers have the most value on the market when teams realize theirs isn't working.

If you moved Sekera there is room for Morrison under the cap. ......

Actually I would think the most likely move would be Sekera or Gragnani as the puckmovers have the most value on the market when teams realize theirs isn't working.

If you moved Sekera there is room for Morrison under the cap. ......

Assuming Morisonnnnnnn clears on re-entry.

Someone is still giving himself +1's :lol:

... :thumbsup: aww its ok, i'll still be negative for another year or so, dont worry your obsessive trolling efforts have not been in vain... o wait :oops:

Anyways. I think Weber adds a grit to the blueline that left when jay mckee did. There is something awesome about seeing a guy who will stand up and toss ppl off his goaltender and also his ability to be strong in the corners helps. Positioning and experience I think are the two improvements that Weber needs. (If he learned to use all of his strength and channel it into a ridiculously hard shot that would be awesome too.)

Truth is Weber is still young and learning, and will now have the opportunity to learn from the "master", Regehr, and will continue to improve again this year. He is exactly what this, or any other team for that matter wants and needs. The Sabres would be wise to send him out there every night, as playing is the only way for him to improve. We have lots of offensive d-men, which of course is great, but Weber is unique being a tough, stay at home d-man and is young. Rather see Grags and Sekera split ice time.

Archived