Kotalik & Morrisonn waived?

But do they pay him the full amount? As I mentioned, I would have sworn that I had read (years ago) that they are only on the hook for the difference between the two salaries.

Please clarify for me - I can only imagine that the Sabres have to pay him anything at all because they consented to him going to Europe? If they didn't - how can they be made to pay a guy who is under contract to them who refuses to report to where they assign him to play? That makes no sense at all - especially when they don't have to pay a guy who wants to show up for the season but can't because of a heart problem.

You could say that Ales has a heart problem, too. <_<

Please clarify for me - I can only imagine that the Sabres have to pay him anything at all because they consented to him going to Europe? If they didn't - how can they be made to pay a guy who is under contract to them who refuses to report to where they assign him to play? That makes no sense at all - especially when they don't have to pay a guy who wants to show up for the season but can't because of a heart problem.

As I said in my original post (a few pages back), if the Sabres agree to loan him to a European team, then that's different than if he refuses to go to Rochester and signs in Europe instead. My question is related to the first case. Chz suggests that they pay him the full amount, which would be the same as he'd make in Rochester, but then he'd also receive a paycheck from his European team. I was under the impression that if the Sabres loaned him, then they would pay him the difference in the two salaries, so his total would be unchanged. If they feel that his contract from the other team is too low, then than could refuse to loan him. I checked the CBA, but didn't find the answer.

As I said in my original post (a few pages back), if the Sabres agree to loan him to a European team, then that's different than if he refuses to go to Rochester and signs in Europe instead. My question is related to the first case. Chz suggests that they pay him the full amount, which would be the same as he'd make in Rochester, but then he'd also receive a paycheck from his European team. I was under the impression that if the Sabres loaned him, then they would pay him the difference in the two salaries, so his total would be unchanged. If they feel that his contract from the other team is too low, then than could refuse to loan him. I checked the CBA, but didn't find the answer.

Don't know the answer to your question, but I'd expect it to work however Huet's deal worked. Google might be your friend there (or it might not ;)).

It's like you said. Sorry for the confusion. The Sabres actually do pay Kotes his 3million. The Czech team would be paying the Sabres. Naturally the Sabres are going to be negotiating a deal for the player. They hope it will be 3 million or more obviously. I'm not sure that there is a PTA in place right now.

Overall a pretty nice thing to do for an alumni. They could have really screwed him over.

It's like you said. Sorry for the confusion. The Sabres actually do pay Kotes his 3million. The Czech team would be paying the Sabres. Naturally the Sabres are going to be negotiating a deal for the player. They hope it will be 3 million or more obviously. I'm not sure that there is a PTA in place right now.

Overall a pretty nice thing to do for an alumni. They could have really screwed him over.

Perhaps the other issue is how many veterans you can skate in an AHL game due to the veteran limit

Stuart, Ryan, Morrison, for sure....not sure if Whitmore and Persson count but they are probably close.

Perhaps the other issue is how many veterans you can skate in an AHL game due to the veteran limit

Stuart, Ryan, Morrison, for sure....not sure if Whitmore and Persson count but they are probably close.

Whitmore and Persson are both 4th year players. I've never seen the official criteria for the AHL vet, but if they're that strict, those journeymen minor league vets would have very short careers.

The Czech team would be paying the Sabres. Naturally the Sabres are going to be negotiating a deal for the player.

Ah, so same basic end result, but the method makes a little more sense. They do pay the difference, but they get to negotiate directly with the European team on how much that is. Thanks, as usual. :thumbsup:

I think 240 games was the threshold at one time. I'm not sure when or how or if that is enforced.

What is the Veteran Rule?

Each AHL Club must dress for each regularly scheduled or play-off game, at least eleven (11) Players, other than goaltenders, who have played in a total of not more than two hundred and sixty (260) regular season games in the National Hockey League, American Hockey League, International Hockey League, or any European Elite League, prior to the start of the season, and one (1) player, other than goaltenders, who has played in a total of not more than three hundred and twenty (320) regular season games in the National Hockey League, American Hockey League, International Hockey League, or any European Elite League, prior to the start of the season. Any Player who participates in European Elite League games during a hockey season in which the Player would be eligible to play in the Canadian Hockey League (excluding an overage year) shall not have such games count in the calculation of the two hundred and sixty (260) regular season games. Players on loan from the National Hockey League for a first fourteen (14) day conditioning period shall not be affected by the aforesaid experience requirement.

In the event a Club dresses fewer than seventeen (17) skaters, the number eleven (11) shall be reduced accordingly. In the event the Member Clubs elect to dress eighteen (18) skaters, the development rule minimum number of eleven (11) shall be increased to twelve (12).

What is the Veteran Rule?

Each AHL Club must dress for each regularly scheduled or play-off game, at least eleven (11) Players, other than goaltenders, who have played in a total of not more than two hundred and sixty (260) regular season games in the National Hockey League, American Hockey League, International Hockey League, or any European Elite League, prior to the start of the season, and one (1) player, other than goaltenders, who has played in a total of not more than three hundred and twenty (320) regular season games in the National Hockey League, American Hockey League, International Hockey League, or any European Elite League, prior to the start of the season. Any Player who participates in European Elite League games during a hockey season in which the Player would be eligible to play in the Canadian Hockey League (excluding an overage year) shall not have such games count in the calculation of the two hundred and sixty (260) regular season games. Players on loan from the National Hockey League for a first fourteen (14) day conditioning period shall not be affected by the aforesaid experience requirement.

In the event a Club dresses fewer than seventeen (17) skaters, the number eleven (11) shall be reduced accordingly. In the event the Member Clubs elect to dress eighteen (18) skaters, the development rule minimum number of eleven (11) shall be increased to twelve (12).

So it looks like the Amerks can have up to SIX players with 260+ games of experience, and only ONE of those six may have 320+.

I don't have the patience to look up the aforementioned players of interest, but here's a recent potential Amerks roster. 14 forwards (including Adam and Ellis, but not Kotalik) and 7 defensemen are listed. Maybe someone can go through and see which of these players would reach anywhere near the 240+ (or 320+) mark this season?

So it looks like the Amerks can have up to SIX players with 260+ games of experience, and only ONE of those six may have 320+.

I don't have the patience to look up the aforementioned players of interest, but here's a recent potential Amerks roster. 14 forwards (including Adam and Ellis, but not Kotalik) and 7 defensemen are listed. Maybe someone can go through and see which of these players would reach anywhere near the 240+ (or 320+) mark this season?

All of players listed as in camp but not under contract are now under contract.

I am not sure where I read this yesterday, but it was rumored that Moorriissoonn is not happy about being sent down, and they may look to move him instead of having him be a disruptive influence on the young blueliners.

It's a tough sell at this point, unless they move him in the same way they moved Kotalik. Even if traded he still needs to clear re-entry waivers to play in the NHL. I'd have to think that someone would be interested in claiming him at a $1.04 million cap hit.

I am not sure where I read this yesterday, but it was rumored that Moorriissoonn is not happy about being sent down, and they may look to move him instead of having him be a disruptive influence on the young blueliners.

Doesn't seem like it, unless this is PR trying to get someone else to pick him up.

http://niagara-gazette.com/prosports/x1385484249/Morrisonn-embracing-opportunity-with-Amerks

Doesn't seem like it, unless this is PR trying to get someone else to pick him up.

http://niagara-gazette.com/prosports/x1385484249/Morrisonn-embracing-opportunity-with-Amerks

saying all the right things. For his sake (and ours) I hope he gets traded (and for good value :rolleyes: )

Archived