Kotalik & Morrisonn waived?

While I see the point about not wanting to teach your youngsters to float, he most likely wouldn't be bumping any kids out of the lineup. I haven't looked at the Amerks roster recently, but I'd be surprised if they don't have at least the league max of dressable vets in Ra-cha-cha. So, he'd be bumping a career vet not a kid.

And while you don't want to teach the kids to float, might you not be using him as an example of what happens when you DO float? Look kids, this guy's got one of the best 1 timers in ALL of hockey and he's riding a bus with you. Whhhhy? I think you all know why. And it isn't that Lindy Ruff doesn't like Ruskies.

fair deuce, all around.

Kotalik hasn't reported to Amerks yet.

Looks like he's trying to get a gig in Europe.

I'd like to see him in Rochester. He did a good job in the minors last year. I would think he'd much rather be in Europe though.

If he goes to Europe, does he still get payed by the Sabres? If not, if I was him, I take the 3 mil and spend the year in Rochester.

If he goes to Europe, does he still get payed by the Sabres? If not, if I was him, I take the 3 mil and spend the year in Rochester.

No he doesn't, and that's why these guys with big contracts sometimes choose to stick it out in the minors.

For some reason, I was under the impression that they were paid the difference by their NHL team. So, if he were to sign a $1M contract with a European team and the Sabres loaned him to them, then Buffalo would pay him $2M. However, if they didn't agree to loan him and he went to Europe, then he wouldn't get paid by the Sabres. The idea being that they'll let you go where you want if you get enough of a chunk paid by that team, otherwise you have to go to the AHL or you void your contract. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that's how it works.

For some reason, I was under the impression that they were paid the difference by their NHL team. So, if he were to sign a $1M contract with a European team and the Sabres loaned him to them, then Buffalo would pay him $2M. However, if they didn't agree to loan him and he went to Europe, then he wouldn't get paid by the Sabres. The idea being that they'll let you go where you want if you get enough of a chunk paid by that team, otherwise you have to go to the AHL or you void your contract. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that's how it works.

Can anyone confirm if this is true? Seems NHL teams would have to be on the hook for some portion of the contract, otherwise they'd be really pushing the sent down players to go to Europe. Personally I hope Kotalik does head there (just not to the KHL) and enjoys a satisfying year while also giving Buffalo one less issue to worry about.

Kotalik hasn't reported to Amerks yet.

Looks like he's trying to get a gig in Europe.

I'd like to see him in Rochester. He did a good job in the minors last year. I would think he'd much rather be in Europe though.

Any idea why Kotalik is still listed on the roster on the Sabres official web site ?????

Since he has cleared waivers does that not mean that he is no longer a roster player on the Sabres ?????

Any idea why Kotalik is still listed on the roster on the Sabres official web site ?????

Since he has cleared waivers does that not mean that he is no longer a roster player on the Sabres ?????

It means he beat out Boyes for the job. Boyes is such a meanie.

Sabres found Kotalik a team in Europe to play for. Bye bye Ales.

And to answer the old question, the Sabres pay him but he doesn't count towards any cap hits.

I wonder how that worked. Did the Sabres ask what he wanted to do, or tell him? It'd be an interesting decision: do you go to the AHL with hopes that you'll light it on fire and get called up, or go to Europe and play for a fully pro team but not have a shot at the NHL again.

Archived