Kotalik & Morrisonn waived?

All NHL teams are above the cap floor.

Colorado is really close. If Mueller is not healthy or they send Landeskog back to Juniors, they will be below the floor. My hunch is they will keep Landeskog around, but the verdict on Mueller is iffy right now given his concussion history. So, Colorado basically needs everyone healthy just to hit the floor. Some other teams in similar situations. I would not be surprised if someone like the Isles took a flyer on Morrisonn or Washington did (not because they are in cap floor issues but because they know what he brings).

Did they both clear waivers?

I believe we won't know until noon today.

Colorado is really close. If Mueller is not healthy or they send Landeskog back to Juniors, they will be below the floor. My hunch is they will keep Landeskog around, but the verdict on Mueller is iffy right now given his concussion history. So, Colorado basically needs everyone healthy just to hit the floor. Some other teams in similar situations. I would not be surprised if someone like the Isles took a flyer on Morrisonn or Washington did (not because they are in cap floor issues but because they know what he brings).

I believe we won't know until noon today.

Colorado can keep Mueller on the roster, and have him count against the cap, even if he's not healthy. There's always three guys on the roster who can't play anyway.

still ours?

As per Mike Harrington's Buffalo News blog ...

There is no word on the waiver status of Ales Kotalik or Shaone Morrisonn as of yet, although they are not at the Rochester Amerks first practice today. Kevin Oklobzija of the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle has the full list of players on the ice.

Zack Kassian, Luke Adam, Marcus Foligno and Corey Tropp all remain with the Sabres for now. The Rochester defense looks a little more settled with the likes of T.J. Brennan, Alex Biega, Brayden McNabb and tryout signee Joe Finley.

Derek Whitmore and David Leggio are on the ice and they were both on waivers, so they have apparently already cleared and reported.

---Mike Harrington

As per Mike Harrington's Buffalo News blog ...

There is no word on the waiver status of Ales Kotalik or Shaone Morrisonn as of yet, although they are not at the Rochester Amerks first practice today. Kevin Oklobzija of the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle has the full list of players on the ice.

Zack Kassian, Luke Adam, Marcus Foligno and Corey Tropp all remain with the Sabres for now. The Rochester defense looks a little more settled with the likes of T.J. Brennan, Alex Biega, Brayden McNabb and tryout signee Joe Finley.

Derek Whitmore and David Leggio are on the ice and they were both on waivers, so they have apparently already cleared and reported.

---Mike Harrington

Per the report on the Sabres homepage, Kassian, Tropp and Foligno were designated to Roc, but 18 forwards remained up...I only counted 16 when I was going through based on these guys being sent down...clarification from someone would be fantastic...while I sit here and work on getting a quote together for my customer... :D

There are two differences between Morrisonn and Wade Redden. First, the Salary Cap Floor is extremely high this year, so some teams may just take a flyer on Morrisonn just to hit the cap floor. Second, Morrisonn makes significantly less money than Redden does, so he is fairly affordable for some cash strapped teams that will be forced to hit the Cap Floor.

Redden should not be in the AHL either, and I suspect that if he gets waived again and nobody picks him up, he's going to Europe.

Doesn't Redden have 3 years left on his contract as well. That would be the biggest difference. Morrison is a one year, short term need guy.

Fair to say, then, that there was no trade available for Morrisonn. If no GM picked him up for free, no GM was going to give up even a 7th-round pick.

There may be someone who would dumb a bad contract for him though. Obviously we can't take much on there, but there could be something out there.

They both cleared waivers.

Considering that Montreal has some defensive issues with Markov being a maybe and some of their other guys being very young, I would have thought they might have picked up Morrison. He would only cost relatively little and he would be gone in a year. Even without Markov on IR they would have the capspace.... I don't think campoli is better, at least morrison is a solid vet who can block shots and eat some minutes... just some thoughts on this calm monday

Also guess I was wrong about Kotalik vying for Boyes job... :oops:

Assigned to Ra-Cha-Cha

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/hockey/nhl/wires/09/26/2040.ap.hkn.sabres.moves.1st.ld.writethru.0353/

"BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - The Buffalo Sabres assigned forward Ales Kotalik and defenseman Shaone Morrisonn to their American Hockey League affiliate in Rochester after both high-priced veterans cleared waivers on Monday."

Kotalik hasn't reported to Amerks yet.

Looks like he's trying to get a gig in Europe.

I'd like to see him in Rochester. He did a good job in the minors last year.I would think he'd much rather be in Europe though.

can't say i agree with the bolded piece above. his numbers may have been good in the minors last year (i have no idea), but what do you actually gain with mr. engima mcfloaty on your farm team? maybe a few more wins, courtesy of shoot-out goals -- but you're not doing your player development efforts any service. in fact, i suspect you'd be doing sabres university a disservice by rostering him in the Roc.

can't say i agree with the bolded piece above. his numbers may have been good in the minors last year (i have no idea), but what do you actually gain with mr. engima mcfloaty on your farm team? maybe a few more wins, courtesy of shoot-out goals -- but you're not doing your player development efforts any service. in fact, i suspect you'd be doing sabres university a disservice by rostering him in the Roc.

While I see the point about not wanting to teach your youngsters to float, he most likely wouldn't be bumping any kids out of the lineup. I haven't looked at the Amerks roster recently, but I'd be surprised if they don't have at least the league max of dressable vets in Ra-cha-cha. So, he'd be bumping a career vet not a kid.

And while you don't want to teach the kids to float, might you not be using him as an example of what happens when you DO float? Look kids, this guy's got one of the best 1 timers in ALL of hockey and he's riding a bus with you. Whhhhy? I think you all know why. And it isn't that Lindy Ruff doesn't like Ruskies.

Archived