New Jersey Devils: Bankrupt?

nobody

This wouldn't be good for the league.

Devils skate to verge of bankruptcy

It wouldn't necessarily be the worst thing to happen.

If they went to bankruptcy they could emerge with a functional owner rather than the dysfunctional consortium they have. That might as good a reason as any for the bank to call the loan.

Everyone read the above post about Marchand before it gets deleted! :)

On the Devil front:

"Per Twitter: Ledger_NJDevils Rich Chere

by SpectorsHockey

Devils issue statement saying team is not "facing bankruptcy" and calling NY Post story inaccurate."

So I guess that means that the Devils will close shop before the season starts. :)

This is bad for the league no doubt. Despite the league's rebound since the lockout, they can not have two teams failing financially in the biggest sports market in the country (obviously talking bout the Devils and Islanders, not the Rangers.)

Being bankrupt is like being pregnant. Either you are or you are not.

Unless the bank calls the loan, or it is declared, it is business as usual.

I can't say I'm surprised. I've been to quite a few Devils games over the years, and the arena is usually about half empty -- even when the Devils are a top 3 EC team. Bottom line is that for most commuters (even if you live in NJ and work in NYC) it's just too inconveniently located for weeknight games.

That sounds like a toxic situation. The article didn't give enough detail on the financing, but I doubt a buyer is going to come in with enough money to assume the debt and pay much (if anything) for the equity. The most likely outcome is that the banks have to take a haircut on the loans and the seller gets an inferior NJ bagel for his equity.

I can't say I'm surprised. I've been to quite a few Devils games over the years, and the arena is usually about half empty -- even when the Devils are a top 3 EC team. Bottom line is that for most commuters (even if you live in NJ and work in NYC) it's just too inconveniently located for weeknight games.

That sounds like a toxic situation. The article didn't give enough detail on the financing, but I doubt a buyer is going to come in with enough money to assume the debt and pay much (if anything) for the equity. The most likely outcome is that the banks have to take a haircut on the loans and the seller gets an inferior NJ bagel for his equity.

Ouch!

Lifetime Sabres fan here, but living in Raleigh now so I can feed my family.

So we've got the NYI and the NJD in big financial trouble. This is in the hotbed of US hockey. Last year they were two of the bottom six teams in attendance. FLA, CAR, TB, and NSH had better attendance.

Maybe we should all think twice before jumping on the southern teams. ATLs gone now and FLA takes over the bottom spot on southern team attendance, if you dont count CBJ.

The Isles play in a shack and have iced bad teams for years, so no surprise there. It's highly doubtful that they will get a new bldg. They should win the race to QUE or KC even before PHO. I dont know what to say about the Devils. New building and a tradition of winning and they still cant cut it. Not looking good for them.

Interesting... What are you thinking here?

I could buy into this. IMO NJD went with a dull-to-watch style of hockey to maximize the influence Brodeur has in any given game. It is awful hockey to watch, not unlike some of those Sabres teams with Hasek in net. 2-1 games don't excite the masses unless they are in the playoffs. When Brodeur moves on they are going to have to ice a more talented group of skaters, and play a game that takes advantage of those skaters if they want to succeed. More talented skaters playing a more uptempo style = more entertaining games, which in theory should mean more fan interest in the regular season.

My $0.02 anyway.

I could buy into this. IMO NJD went with a dull-to-watch style of hockey to maximize the influence Brodeur has in any given game. It is awful hockey to watch, not unlike some of those Sabres teams with Hasek in net. 2-1 games don't excite the masses unless they are in the playoffs. When Brodeur moves on they are going to have to ice a more talented group of skaters, and play a game that takes advantage of those skaters if they want to succeed. More talented skaters playing a more uptempo style = more entertaining games, which in theory should mean more fan interest in the regular season.

My $0.02 anyway.

I don't see much of a change happening soon. Most likely I think they'll try to find the replacement for Brodeur and stick to the operators manual: Trap - Score off of transition - defense stays home and disciplined - wait for powerplays - play for the point first.

Interesting... What are you thinking here?

What weave said. My thinking is that basically NJs fanbase is tired of the current team much like many of us were tired of the leftovers from the 06-07 season. Start moving out more old parts, bring in some new, dynamic players, and pull the same thing the Caps did.

I don't see much of a change happening soon. Most likely I think they'll try to find the replacement for Brodeur and stick to the operators manual: Trap - Score off of transition - defense stays home and disciplined - wait for powerplays - play for the point first.

Miller + Pomminstein to NJD for Kovalchuk + Eric Boulton (E3)

Miller + Pomminstein to NJD for Kovalchuk + Eric Boulton (E3)

Speaking of Pominville... have you seen him lately? The dude is huge. Looks like he's wearing shoulder pads.

No, I don't mean he's gonna fight or anything like that but definitely stronger and more muscle.

Archived