Drury Retires

BuffaloSoldier2010

It was a bit more than right place/right time with that team. Remember, they had Bourque the season before, but did not win it, and they did win a Stanley Cup with Deadmarsh and Aaron Miller (both guys involved in the Rob Blake deal), so it was more than just Rob Blake. And, after Forsberg's spleen ruptured, who legitimately gave them a chance of even beating St. Louis? Sure, he was on a great team, but he did deliver the goods for that team during the playoffs and he did step up his game after Forsberg left. He was a second line centerman that elevated his game in the clutch in Colorado. He was a clutch leader that elevated the team in Buffalo. That's how I'd describe the difference. But, he was also a very good player in Colorado and not just because of the team around him, that was my point.

Well I don't remember making an official prediction, but I did, since they still had Sakic and Roy, whom you forgot to mention. I mean ... St. Louis' counterparts were Pierre Turgeon and Roman Turek ... I would not call it an upset, regardless of Forsberg's status.

Well I don't remember making an official prediction, but I did, since they still had Sakic and Roy, whom you forgot to mention. I mean ... St. Louis' counterparts were Pierre Turgeon and Roman Turek ... I would not call it an upset, regardless of Forsberg's status.

That was during the clutch and grab era of hockey and St. Louis had a very stout defensive team. I'm not sure you are giving them enough credit and they had some decent players beyond Turgeon such as Keith Tkachuk, Pavol Demitra, Cory Stillman, Al MacInnis, Chris Pronger, and Scott Young was pretty good back then as well. They had a very good defensive team and matched up well against Colorado especially after Forsberg got hurt, especially when you consider they were coming in Red hot sweeping the Dallas Stars in 4 games and Colorado coming in fighting the Kings to the death in an extremely close 7 game series. Given the scenario, I think the Blues could have and should have beaten Colorado.

Nonetheless, this is a total digression from the topic at hand and totally irrelevant. Chris Drury is a good player and a great Sabre, and his career should be remembered as such.

Edit: I'm pretty sure in my original post I mentioned Sakic and five young guys as their top 2 lines.

Am I the only one that doesn't have hero worship for Drury? He was a very good hockey player for us. But I don't think he was a great Sabre. He had some really terrific moments for us and lent the right amount of leadership and attitude for a young team. I respect his level of compete but I can't elevate him to where some of the Sabre greats are.

I wish him well in his retirement. He was a respected player around the league. if he wants it, I hope there is a hockey career for him post-playing days

Am I the only one that doesn't have hero worship for Drury? He was a very good hockey player for us. But I don't think he was a great Sabre. He had some really terrific moments for us and lent the right amount of leadership and attitude for a young team. I respect his level of compete but I can't elevate him to where some of the Sabre greats are.

I wish him well in his retirement. He was a respected player around the league. if he wants it, I hope there is a hockey career for him post-playing days

Not in terms of pure skill, but in terms of overall impact on his team -- he was a great Sabre. It's not a coincidence that the team completely fell apart immediately after he left.

a friend of mine pointed out the following:

His trophy case contains the following:

-A Little League World Series Trophy (He threw a complete game 5-hitter in the championship).

-An NCAA Hockey Championship.

-A Hobey Baker Award.

-Rookie of the Year in the NHL (Only player ever to win the Calder AND the Hobey)

-A Stanley Cup Championship ring.

-An Olympic Silver Medal.

-A Second Olympic Silver Medal.

The man had 11 game winning goals in 4 straight years of playoff games for the Colorado Avalanche and he is the only BU player to finish a college career with 100 goals and 100 assists--and he was voted the best defensive forward in Hockey East history on the 25th anniversary of the league. He is also one of only 4 other players to be elected captain of 2 different NHL teams.

pretty cool.

Spot on.

Not in terms of pure skill, but in terms of overall impact on his team -- he was a great Sabre. It's not a coincidence that the team completely fell apart immediately after he left.

Of course, the rules of the NHL changing could have had something to do with that as well.

I don't think most people (aside from true hockey purists) who aren't Sabres or Avs fans can fully comprehend just how good Drury was. His stats aren't up there like some other players.

We could sit here and name drop TONS of players with great stats, that lacked the hustle, heart, drive, and compete level that Drury always brought. What made him even better, was how much that level elevated at important junctures of a game, or in a playoff race, or in the playoffs themselves. Every article I read, and responses I read, use the word 'clutch.' And for good reason.

It is very unfortunate that his career had to end the way that it did, but as another poster pointed out, he collected some very nice hardware and medals for his efforts.

He definitely goes down as a Sabres legend, just on his efforts alone, let alone being a great person on and off the ice.

He is one of those players you can tell your kids about someday, but they won't fully understand his impact without having seen him play.

This is the first I've heard that he'd need to sit out all of this upcoming season:

"Drury reportedly is suffering from a degenerative condition in his left knee that would have caused him to sit out the entire 2011-12 season."

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2011/08/drury-retires-after-12-nhl-seasons.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fbuffalonews%2Fsabres+%28Sabres+Edge%29

That's my favorite Buffalo sports moment of all time. Thanks Druuuuuuuuuuuu for giving us a moment to be proud of.

Your screen name is Sabres'70, which implies you're a bit older than KTN and THAT is your favorite Buffalo sports moment?

That's better than Sanderson's goal against Dallas?

That's better than Stu's goal against Dallas?

That's better than Peca's check coming out of the box against Domi and better than Ray's make it a crazy big lead in the same series?

That's better than any of the 20 great moments in 51-3?

That's better than 2003 yards, a space oddity?

That's better than the comeback in the greatest football game ever played?

That's better than 76 goals and coming back out wearing a sombrero after scoring a hat trick?

That's better than back to back shutouts in Moe-ray-all in '83?

That's better than 'Brad May making Ray Bourque look like Phil Bourque?'

That's better than so much that happened in '74-75?

That's better than 9/7/80?

That's cool that you enjoyed that moment. It was a great one and I was there for it. But, I'd put it behind those moments listed above and several others.

One thing that we ALL want to forget is that in the 1st period of Game 7 of the '06 conference final CD missed a wide open net from a tough angle in the 1st period. If he sinks that, maybe we have that monkey off our collective backs.

Your screen name is Sabres'70, which implies you're a bit older than KTN and THAT is your favorite Buffalo sports moment?

That's better than Peca's check coming out of the box against Domi and better than Ray's make it a crazy big lead in the same series?

That's better than 76 goals and coming back out wearing a sombrero after scoring a hat trick?

That's cool that you enjoyed that moment. It was a great one and I was there for it. But, I'd put it behind those moments listed above and several others.

One thing that we ALL want to forget is that in the 1st period of Game 7 of the '06 conference final CD missed a wide open net from a tough angle in the 1st period. If he sinks that, maybe we have that monkey off our collective backs.

CD also scored the game winner in Game 1 against Ottawa that year, which really set the tone for the series after Ottawa dominated us all season long... that was a huge momentum swing. If the Sabres don't lose Game 7 to Carolina, that goes down as one of the most important goals in Sabres history...

Drury was a winner and I respect the hell of him. His "clutch" factor may have been a little over rated, but there is no doubt he was a leader and a winner. Five years ago I would take him over almost anybody else to be my team captain... crazy what 5 years can do to a guy. IDK where he ranks as a Sabres all time great, as I was still very young when most of the perceived "greats" played. Drury is definitely one of the best I got to watch since I was really old enough to understand the game.

CD also scored the game winner in Game 1 against Ottawa that year, which really set the tone for the series after Ottawa dominated us all season long... that was a huge momentum swing. If the Sabres don't lose Game 7 to Carolina, that goes down as one of the most important goals in Sabres history...

Drury was a winner and I respect the hell of him. His "clutch" factor may have been a little over rated, but there is no doubt he was a leader and a winner. Five years ago I would take him over almost anybody else to be my team captain... crazy what 5 years can do to a guy. IDK where he ranks as a Sabres all time great, as I was still very young when most of the perceived "greats" played. Drury is definitely one of the best I got to watch since I was really old enough to understand the game.

Yep, after Timmy saved their butts. Fortunately the Zamboni drivers in Otterland are roughly as competant as the ones down in Houston. If not for the huge puddle near the blue line, the puck probably clears the zone.

I am thinking a Hiaku would be relevant.

Chunky world champion

Hoisting the silver Chalice.

Enjoying hefty rewards

Time running down fast

Captain Clutch gets puck and shoots

RJ goes crazy

His last game as a Sabre, 05/19/07.

He takes a puck in the mouth, and comes back out for the OT.

The look in in eyes as he waved goodbye to the crowd.

The writing was on the wall for him to go play for his childhood favorite team.

Wear #23 in NYC, just like his idol Mattingly.

That list someone posted about his trophy case says it all.

Humble. Clutch. Winner.

and I am leaving out a number of other great things to say about Captain Clutch.

He also missed a partial breakaway in that period, if my memory serves me right?

Great Sabre, but will I remember him like I do the likes of Dom, Perreault, and LaFontaine in 7-10 years, only time will tell.

No, you're not the only one. This is about how I feel. I also think he fit in very well here--he didn't carry the team on his shoulders IMO, it was symbiotic.

a friend of mine pointed out the following:

His trophy case contains the following:

-A Little League World Series Trophy (He threw a complete game 5-hitter in the championship).

-An NCAA Hockey Championship.

-A Hobey Baker Award.

-Rookie of the Year in the NHL (Only player ever to win the Calder AND the Hobey)

-A Stanley Cup Championship ring.

-An Olympic Silver Medal.

-A Second Olympic Silver Medal.

The man had 11 game winning goals in 4 straight years of playoff games for the Colorado Avalanche and he is the only BU player to finish a college career with 100 goals and 100 assists--and he was voted the best defensive forward in Hockey East history on the 25th anniversary of the league. He is also one of only 4 other players to be elected captain of 2 different NHL teams.

pretty cool.

That's pretty darn impressive. Only thing that seems to be missing is an Olympic Gold and a World Juniors medal.

awesome. That brought back a ton of good memories.

Not really. Let's sign him to a one-day contact so he can retire as a Sabre.

PTR

I'm with you..

You're kidding, right?

Nope, but I think the Avs will get first crack at it.

My most memorable Drury moment is him getting crushed by Neil... and the ensuing black eye....

Here's a question: has anyone seen anything to support the bald statement in the BN today that Drury was trying to hook on with another team but nobody wad interested, so he retired? The article just kinda stated this early on but then didn't really follow up on that point.

Just curious.

Here's a question: has anyone seen anything to support the bald statement in the BN today that Drury was trying to hook on with another team but nobody wad interested, so he retired? The article just kinda stated this early on but then didn't really follow up on that point.

Just curious.

My understanding of what happened was that the Rangers planned to buyout Drury back in June. However, because of his knee problem, he could have challenged the buyout due to medical grounds. However, he decided to accept the buyout because I think (my speculation, nothing confirmed from sources) he knew he wasn't wanted there and thought he might be able to catch on with another team during the free agency period. But, it appears his knee problem is worse than thought and that he was unable to catch on with a team due to the injury. I read somewhere that he would have had to sit out the entire 2011-2012 season because of the injury (I'll see if I can find the URL), so no team would have been willing to sign him if he couldn't play at all during the season. So, I suspect that's why he likely retired.

If his knee is recovered, I would not be terribly surprised if he had the itch to try again and perhaps go into Training Camp on a Tryout with a team next offseason if he is fully healed. But, I think he's done for good. What's left to prove? Look at his accomplishments and the money he's made, he's set for life and has had every team success and individual success as a hockey player. What's left?

My understanding of what happened was that the Rangers planned to buyout Drury back in June. However, because of his knee problem, he could have challenged the buyout due to medical grounds. However, he decided to accept the buyout because I think (my speculation, nothing confirmed from sources) he knew he wasn't wanted there and thought he might be able to catch on with another team during the free agency period. But, it appears his knee problem is worse than thought and that he was unable to catch on with a team due to the injury. I read somewhere that he would have had to sit out the entire 2011-2012 season because of the injury (I'll see if I can find the URL), so no team would have been willing to sign him if he couldn't play at all during the season. So, I suspect that's why he likely retired.

If his knee is recovered, I would not be terribly surprised if he had the itch to try again and perhaps go into Training Camp on a Tryout with a team next offseason if he is fully healed. But, I think he's done for good. What's left to prove? Look at his accomplishments and the money he's made, he's set for life and has had every team success and individual success as a hockey player. What's left?

Playing the sport you love. Look at guys like Howe, Jagr, Hasek, Forsberg, Sakic, Foote. These guys didn't (and don't) know when to quit. I think the idea of Drury taking a year off and trying to make a comeback is more likely than not. He just strikes me as the kind of guy who wont give up if he still has something left in the tank. Sometimes you just need that break to let your body actually heal, especially as you get older, which Chris has.

It doesn't seem that unlikely. Who knows, maybe he gets another season or two out of his body before he really has to retire for good.

Archived