Drury Retires

BuffaloSoldier2010

Pretty good article on Puck Daddy: check it out.

We can only hope that TP and his group have overcome the bad karma inflicted on us by TG and LQ in letting Drury and others go, and jerking them around in the process.

Drury's goal with 7 seconds left in the playoffs against the Rangers was maybe the most emotional moment of my sports fan life.

Farewell Chris. Thanks for the memories.

We can only hope that TP and his group have overcome the bad karma inflicted on us by TG and LQ in letting Drury and others go, and jerking them around in the process.

Drury's goal with 7 seconds left in the playoffs against the Rangers was maybe the most emotional moment of my sports fan life.

Good post, I have to agree with everything here. I remember being in my apartment with a bunch of Rangers fans during that game, and just the goosebumps that I got when that happened. Great memories.

I rarely wear the slug, but the slug Drury with the "A" on it like he was wearing when he scored that goal is in the rotation. For all the games they won despite sleepwalking through that season, they deserved to win that game and the fact they were down 1-0 anyway just cranked up the emotion when he scored that goal all the more.

I still get chills when I see youtube video of Game 5 against the Rangers. Drury was my favorite Sabres player at the time, and I had liked him for a long time even when he was in Colorado. I remember when Darcy made the trade involving Warrener and Reinprecht for Drury, I was absolutely thrilled. And, he did not disappoint as a Sabre. I was disappointed when he left, but I held no ill will towards him as I don't believe it was his fault for leaving.

To me, he will always be remembered as the clutch player who elevated his game in the playoffs with Colorado and Buffalo. In fact the 2001 Colorado playoffs, he absolutely shined especially after Forsberg got hurt and did not return after the Kings series. After Forsberg's season ended, the top 6 that season consisted of Sakic and a bunch of young forwards (Tanguay, Hejduk, Drury, Reinprecht, Nieminen). And, they still won the Stanley Cup with Drury delivering 16 points and 11 goals that playoffs.

Nonetheless, a celebration of a great career for Chris Drury.

so does that mean that Adam will be the 3rd line center now?

In all seriousness, Chris Drury was one of the most clutch and best hockey players. It really is a shame that his knee injury may have ended his career and I am somewhat surprised that no team wanted to sign him to a 1 year contract. :beer: to Drury, a great player and captain.

I still get chills when I see youtube video of Game 5 against the Rangers. Drury was my favorite Sabres player at the time, and I had liked him for a long time even when he was in Colorado. I remember when Darcy made the trade involving Warrener and Reinprecht for Drury, I was absolutely thrilled. And, he did not disappoint as a Sabre. I was disappointed when he left, but I held no ill will towards him as I don't believe it was his fault for leaving.

To me, he will always be remembered as the clutch player who elevated his game in the playoffs with Colorado and Buffalo. In fact the 2001 Colorado playoffs, he absolutely shined especially after Forsberg got hurt and did not return after the Kings series. After Forsberg's season ended, the top 6 that season consisted of Sakic and a bunch of young forwards (Tanguay, Hejduk, Drury, Reinprecht, Nieminen). And, they still won the Stanley Cup with Drury delivering 16 points and 11 goals that playoffs.

Nonetheless, a celebration of a great career for Chris Drury.

Well yeah but ... I mean ... Sakic was a Hall of Famer and they had at least two Hall of Fame defensemen (Blake and Bourque) and a Hall of Fame goalie (Roy) ... just sayin' ...

Not trying to start an argument or hijack the thread ... I just feel that while he was clutch almost everywhere he went and is definitely appreciated for that, he is under-appreciated for changing the culture in Buffalo. I understand why -- they never won it all and he left on one of the worst days in team history -- but still ... it could be argued he was in the right place at the right time in Colorado. He was decidedly NOT in the right place at the right time when he arrived in Buffalo but he was a huge part of turning the Sabres into true contenders.

I couldn't stand all of the hype he was getting as a senior at BU, but once he came to Buffalo, I was able to see why. The goal against the Rangers with 7.7 seconds left epitomizes his career - a great leader and clutch performer. It's too bad he didn't finish his career in Buffalo, but he finished it with the team he dreamed of playing for.

Good luck, Chris and congrats on a great career. The NHL would be lucky to have players with half the heart that you have.

Not trying to start an argument or hijack the thread ... I just feel that while he was clutch almost everywhere he went and is definitely appreciated for that, he is under-appreciated for changing the culture in Buffalo. I understand why -- they never won it all and he left on one of the worst days in team history -- but still ... it could be argued he was in the right place at the right time in Colorado. He was decidedly NOT in the right place at the right time when he arrived in Buffalo but he was a huge part of turning the Sabres into true contenders.

+100000000000

Well yeah but ... I mean ... Sakic was a Hall of Famer and they had at least two Hall of Fame defensemen (Blake and Bourque) and a Hall of Fame goalie (Roy) ... just sayin' ...

It was a bit more than right place/right time with that team. Remember, they had Bourque the season before, but did not win it, and they did win a Stanley Cup with Deadmarsh and Aaron Miller (both guys involved in the Rob Blake deal), so it was more than just Rob Blake. And, after Forsberg's spleen ruptured, who legitimately gave them a chance of even beating St. Louis? Sure, he was on a great team, but he did deliver the goods for that team during the playoffs and he did step up his game after Forsberg left. He was a second line centerman that elevated his game in the clutch in Colorado. He was a clutch leader that elevated the team in Buffalo. That's how I'd describe the difference. But, he was also a very good player in Colorado and not just because of the team around him, that was my point.

I love that Chris Drury Moment against the Rangers. He was a great player and the NHL will miss him.

One thing that always bothered me about that goal was I don't think that Vanek gets enough credit. He tied up two Rangers in front and had the presence of mind to open his legs wide enough to give Drury a lane to shoot the puck into.

Archived