So how do you like "Hockey Heaven Darcy" so far?

dudacek

I like the "idea" that we aren't a money strapped team. I'll reserve judgement on what I like/don't like until I've seen the product on the ice for 20ish games.

I know the goal is to make us another Detroit. We could just as easily become another NY Rangers. I want to see what this Summer has brought before I get giddy.

I'm expecting it'll take more like 40 games to get a 'true' feel for where this particular version of the Sabres (give or take a late training camp / early season trade) will shake out. I fully expect it to take 20 games or so for the D-pairings to gel. That next 20 games will give a good indication how solid the D truly is.

I'd expect we'll know a bit sooner than that whether the Leino experiment will be a hit, a bust, or something in between.

To your other point: the fact that they were willing to walk away from Richards instead of breaking the bank for him when it became clear his heart was in NYC and settle for their 'plan b' gives me hope that there won't be 2 absolutely clueless big budget teams in the Empire State. (As long as Wang's crew lives in Cuomo country, there'll always be at least 2 clueless teams here but at least 1 won't be big budget. ;))

I've also noticed that the Strangers have never shown any interest in trying to improve ice quality (but in fairness, I don't know if the set up they're in could even be broken apart from the other floors well enough to only try to dehumidify the level the ice rink is on) or any other conditions; which is neither here nor there regarding how the Sabres are proceeding in and of itself, but the fact the Sabres top management seems to be looking at all aspects of what affects and effects the final product on the ice in the Mmarena also lends room for hope.

I'm expecting it'll take more like 40 games to get a 'true' feel for where this particular version of the Sabres (give or take a late training camp / early season trade) will shake out. I fully expect it to take 20 games or so for the D-pairings to gel. That next 20 games will give a good indication how solid the D truly is.

A slow start wouldn't surprise me at all. Especially with the D.

I'd expect we'll know a bit sooner than that whether the Leino experiment will be a hit, a bust, or something in between.

I expect Leino will get his numbers without needing much flash, just by working the puck to the high percentage areas.

He really makes defense-men work. Which I suspect will often go unnoticed.

I expect Leino will get his numbers without needing much flash, just by working the puck to the high percentage areas.

The more time that passes since this move was made, the more intrigued I am to see how/if it pans out.

Especially if they still have 1 more roster altering move to be made. If they find a way to bring another #2 center (I don't even dare think about getting a #1 at this time) they would have a very reasonable replica of the forward lines coming out of the lockout except the 4th line would be more of a true 'energy line.' They also should, by the middle of the season, have an upgraded D compared to those teams.

I am definitely looking forward to seeing how they look.

The tunnel of death doesn't start slow. Forwards slow down when approaching his side of the ice.

+1 on Leino.

Darcy's done a great job so far with the signings.You would think there should be a trade coming before the start of the season to bring the cap down and he has lots of trade bait on the right side and on D. Add NHL ready Netminder Drew Mac Intyre to seal a deal to add to another of Terry's need for couple of more peices in the forum of a #1 center or #2 with a heathy Roy returning.

Darcy's done a great job so far with the signings.You would think there should be a trade coming before the start of the season to bring the cap down and he has lots of trade bait on the right side and on D. Add NHL ready Netminder Drew Mac Intyre to seal a deal to add to another of Terry's need for couple of more peices in the forum of a #1 center or #2 with a heathy Roy returning.

From an article on the Sabres site:

Sabres GM Darcy Regier met with the media afterwards, and said he’d like to address the team’s salary cap issues through trades rather than just send a veteran down to Rochester.

“Hopefully that’s not the case. Hopefully we’ll be able to make some moves to address that prior to the start of the season.”

So far all he has shown is that he can spend money, and that he needs help to close a deal

Getting Reghr was a nice trade.

Erhoff is a move I would have to see on the ice before I judge. Canucks fans didn't seem that sad letting him leave

Leino is another one that I would have to see on the ice before I say it was a good or bad move, when your big offseason move for a top centre is a guy who hasn't played centre in the NHL, you can't say its a good move until its seen on the ice

He still has to dump some salary, and the moves will be straight salary dumps (moving some players for low level prospects or draft picks) to get under the cap or he will have to move some good players to get something a little less back because the other team would be helping him out by taking on additional salary. I would almost bet against seeing a great move made that brings them under the cap that involves Morrison and Kotalik. Kotalik could have been had for free before, and no one wanted him

So far all he has shown is that he can spend money, and that he needs help to close a deal

Erhoff is a move I would have to see on the ice before I judge. Canucks fans didn't seem that sad letting him leave

Leino is another one that I would have to see on the ice before I say it was a good or bad move, when your big offseason move for a top centre is a guy who hasn't played centre in the NHL, you can't say its a good move until its seen on the ice

He still has to dump some salary, and the moves will be straight salary dumps (moving some players for low level prospects or draft picks) to get under the cap or he will have to move some good players to get something a little less back because the other team would be helping him out by taking on additional salary. I would almost bet against seeing a great move made that brings them under the cap that involves Morrison and Kotalik. Kotalik could have been had for free before, and no one wanted him

Agreed. We need to see how the product performs first, but the moves so far are definately an upgrade. A lot of areas have been addressed.

Everyone is clamoring for another top center, but with the current lineup, I do not foresee that happening. I dont think the brass plans on paying both Roy and Leino the type of money they are getting to have one of them be a third line center. Unless, of course, a new center comes in and Leino moves back to wing, OR either Leino or Roy are traded.

Regier has made moves, but how much of it has been his own call/decision? There are a lot of us that could just as easily have followed orders and let the cash flow.

Kotalik can still potentially be moved to one of the teams needing to get to the cap floor.

I could be wrong on this because there are board members here from out west but have you really spoken to several Canucks fans to get the feeling that they weren't upset to see him go? Yes, stats can be misleading but last year the guy was second on the team in ice time and blocked shots. Oh ya, that was playing with the President's Trophy winner. He's missed no more than 5 games per year over the past five seasons and is a combined +55 over the past two seasons! No this isn't Lidstrom in his prime but it's a darn good hockey player that I think will help our PP immensely. I honestly haven't followed the Nucks offseason too closely but maybe they weren't overly upset (if true) is because fans knew there was no cap room to sign him.

The Leino signing has considerably more risk IMO.

ummm if I give you $1...you give me 4 quarters?

disregard it all together? :thumbsup:

But two of those quarters are Canadian quarters.

I could be wrong on this because there are board members here from out west but have you really spoken to several Canucks fans to get the feeling that they weren't upset to see him go? Yes, stats can be misleading but last year the guy was second on the team in ice time and blocked shots. Oh ya, that was playing with the President's Trophy winner. He's missed no more than 5 games per year over the past five seasons and is a combined +55 over the past two seasons! No this isn't Lidstrom in his prime but it's a darn good hockey player that I think will help our PP immensely. I honestly haven't followed the Nucks offseason too closely but maybe they weren't overly upset (if true) is because fans knew there was no cap room to sign him.

Leino will be a fan favorite in no time.

Regher will be one of those players we just plain love.

Erhoff has the potential to be the next whipping boy. Big contract, PP potential, etc. Expectations are elevated due to the contract and cat and mouse game played to sign him.

All in all, how can you not be stoked for the start of a season. Amerks back in the fold. High priced free agents coming to town. Owner, President, GM and Coach all seem to be on same wavelength. Winning attitude...

Let's get it started...

Leino will be a fan favorite in no time.

Regher will be one of those players we just plain love.

I agree completely with these. I get what the Leino detractors are saying; he has not had an successful regular season as of yet even though he's played with some great linemates. This has me thinking of what this franchise did with Briere in terms of turning around his career. On top of that during the philly series this guy created chances almost every shift. When I heard we landed him I was thrilled. Realistically, if he has a subpar regular season but a decent playoffs isn't he still worth it?

The only move this offseason I didn't get was the Ehrhoff move as I think it was spending money just to show we could. I know he'll help but I just didn't find that pickup addressing a major need. This has been a memorable offseason for sure.

Since he needs to dump salary and has gone on record as looking for a trade, I would think the logical trade partners would be Colorado or LI. Both are below the cap.

Now if he's truly as good as we would like to believe he is, he might be able to combine our need for a top center with a salary dump. It sounds incongruous, but this would have to be a big trade, probably involving Vanek.

I agree completely with these. I get what the Leino detractors are saying; he has not had an successful regular season as of yet even though he's played with some great linemates. This has me thinking of what this franchise did with Briere in terms of turning around his career. On top of that during the philly series this guy created chances almost every shift. When I heard we landed him I was thrilled. Realistically, if he has a subpar regular season but a decent playoffs isn't he still worth it?

The only move this offseason I didn't get was the Ehrhoff move as I think it was spending money just to show we could. I know he'll help but I just didn't find that pickup addressing a major need. This has been a memorable offseason for sure.

Hahahah, if you told me two years ago that I would one day read this complaint then I'd feel exactly as I do today, unbelievably pumped for this season to start!!

At no time was this more evident than in the series against the Sabres. He exhausted our D to the point of distraction. Glad he's on our team.

GO SABRES!!!

Leino is another one that I would have to see on the ice before I say it was a good or bad move, when your big offseason move for a top centre is a guy who hasn't played

centre in the NHL, you can't say its a good move until its seen on the ice.

He still has to dump some salary, and the moves will be straight salary dumps (moving some players for low level prospects or draft picks) to get under the cap or he will

have to move some good players to get something a little less back because the other team would be helping him

out by taking on additional salary. I would almost bet against seeing a great move made that brings them under

the cap that involves Morrison and Kotalik. Kotalik could have been had for free before, and no one wanted him

The dark side is strong in this one.

At no time was this more evident than in the series against the Sabres. He exhausted our D to the point of distraction. Glad he's on our team.

GO SABRES!!!

Leino was indeed good vs the Sabres, but it was much more than just him. Philly's forwards consistently got the better of the Sabres' defense.

The dark side is strong in this one.

very nice.

I am in canuck country out here and I can tell you Erhoff was absolutely gushed about when still a Canuck. The canucks and their fans have always been known to eat their own after they leave the team( except for T.Linden ) and Erhoff is no different. I watched a lot of their games and imo he will make this team a much better team. He played in one of the biggest pressure cookers in Vancouver as far as hockey citys go and he thrived under that pressure. An injury to his shoulder didn't help his performance in the playoffs but I'm stoked for the season to start so we can see how these additions do. Go Sabres.

I think the move to get ehrhoff shows that Darcy does have some skill as a GM. He saw him traded to the Islanders and even if they called him, he was smart enough to pull the trigger and bring Ehrhoff here. The key to this was that clearly darcy had an idea for a contract in mind and was able to sell that to Ehrhoff who I think was looking for security. Yes he will be making a lot of money but he could have made more if he hit UFA, especially considering that Wisniewski was signed b4 july 1 as well.

Bottom line is that if you look at the top 3 potential UFA defenders for this past summer Ehrhoff and Wisniewski topped the list and both were signed b4 and the sabres got 1 of them... so :thumbsup: Darcy has done well but I would like to see what else he can do moving forward besides spending money. It is still to early to tell but I figured that Ehrhoff's press conference in some ways showed his character. The guy basically said, "I want to play for a contender and Buffalo is one" I think this season should be pretty fun.

Well, had you known the full story about how Darcy wouldn't release his mother from slavery even though he was the best pod racer in the known galaxy, you'd understand the animosity. ;)

If you've never seen the prequal reviews by redlettermedia... I'd highly recommend them. Take quite a bit of time to get through, but are hilarious.

Here's the first part of the review for episode I if anyone is interested.

If you've never seen the prequal reviews by redlettermedia... I'd highly recommend them. Take quite a bit of time to get through, but are hilarious.

I second this recommendation for anyone who is even remotely interested. :thumbsup:

Someone literally asked me this week if Regier went and got Regehr because they are related.

I did not have an immediate response.

Were they from Boston? Because i would totally understand it then.

"...a cartoon rabbit in it, that steps in the poopie..."

:lol:

Archived