So how do you like "Hockey Heaven Darcy" so far?

dudacek

So the biggest question for me surrounding the Sabres this summer was “what will Darcy do with Terry’s money?”

Overall, I was very impressed with the following:

* The Regehr heist was sheer genius —Regehr is exactly what the team needed most, Kotalik is money out of Terry’s pocket, not the hockey department budget, Butler and Byron had no significant future with this team and we got a high second-rounder for our troubles.

* He improved the power play and the defensive breakout by signing arguably the best free agent defenceman out there in Ehrhoff and got him at a very cap-friendly number that makes him easily tradable at the back half of the deal.

* He used a similar money-up-front tactic to get Sekera signed to a deal that makes him great value if he emerges as a top-four kind of guy for us and attractive trade bait even if doesn’t

* And he got our young guys like Weber, Enroth and especially Gerbe quickly signed to reasonable deals.

I will reserve judgment on the Stafford deal, except to say that it is good value for the player Stafford was last year and add that the quick signing sent a good message about the new “Hockey Heaven” that may have helped the subsequent deals.

The Leino contract was an overpayment for what he has done so far in his career. That said, we desperately needed a good centre and he was the best option available. I’m happier we have the player than the $4.6 million. Personally, I think Leino has upside he hasn’t shown yet because of his role in Philly, and this could be a Briere-type acquisition for us. And the door remains open for further upgrades through trade.

All in all, Leino, Erhoff and Regehr are a big improvement from Connolly, Butler and Montador. We kept our best prospects and picks and lost just one player from our core — one most here are happy to be rid of. And we have cap room available for further upgrades next year.

Maybe it's the rosy glow of summer, but I’d say it was good start.

What are your thoughts?

For the most part I agree with your assessment. My one issue is with Leino. Without ever seeing him play center, it's hard to say he was the best option available. (Richards was the best option available, even at the time the Sabres decided to pull out and signed Leino. And yes, I'm still a bit irked by that, but not to the point I'm upset about it.) I hope that the Sabres have done some scouting and have possibly had Leino on the radar for some time, rather than just saying "hey this guy had a decent series against us, let's nab him." If he can actually play center and be productive on the first or second line, then I'll be a big fan of his. But if he plays center for two weeks and gets shifted to wing only to put up 19 goals and 53 points (his totals last year), then there's NFW he's worth the term or money we gave him. We already have depth wingers who can potentially score 20 goals. I guess all I'm saying is that he BETTER PLAY CENTER.

Other than that, though, I'm very impressed with the off-season acquisitions. I'm not expecting the world from Regehr or Ehrhoff either, but I know that even if they're half the player they were last season, it's an improvement. But more than likely, it will be a BIG improvement... just gonna wait until I actually see a few games before I can say with certainty.

I like what we did this summer.

Richards was not worth it. Another version of Ernie No D. And how many points did he have during his best season?

We are a good bit better. Not cup contenders but a team that no one will want to play in the first or second round.

We are positioned for further improvement next year.

Go Sabres!

Hoo Ray for Terry Pegula!

I like the "idea" that we aren't a money strapped team. I'll reserve judgement on what I like/don't like until I've seen the product on the ice for 20ish games.

I know the goal is to make us another Detroit. We could just as easily become another NY Rangers. I want to see what this Summer has brought before I get giddy.

Well Philadelphia had plenty of options at center last year and personally I think that may be why they had him playing the wing. Maybe Darcy has video scounting evidence that the kid can center well for him.

Personally I think its funny that we have pint sized centers.

For the most part I agree with your assessment. My one issue is with Leino. Without ever seeing him play center, it's hard to say he was the best option available. (Richards was the best option available, even at the time the Sabres decided to pull out and signed Leino. And yes, I'm still a bit irked by that, but not to the point I'm upset about it.) I hope that the Sabres have done some scouting and have possibly had Leino on the radar for some time, rather than just saying "hey this guy had a decent series against us, let's nab him." If he can actually play center and be productive on the first or second line, then I'll be a big fan of his. But if he plays center for two weeks and gets shifted to wing only to put up 19 goals and 53 points (his totals last year), then there's NFW he's worth the term or money we gave him. We already have depth wingers who can potentially score 20 goals. I guess all I'm saying is that he BETTER PLAY CENTER.

Other than that, though, I'm very impressed with the off-season acquisitions. I'm not expecting the world from Regehr or Ehrhoff either, but I know that even if they're half the player they were last season, it's an improvement. But more than likely, it will be a BIG improvement... just gonna wait until I actually see a few games before I can say with certainty.

I highly doubt that management would think your statement in quotes. I mean, they are getting paid to run a professional hockey team. I know, the Isles show time and again how disfunctional a team can be but come on, they had to have put some thought into the signing.....right :blink:

I highly doubt that management would think your statement in quotes. I mean, they are getting paid to run a professional hockey team. I know, the Isles show time and again how disfunctional a team can be but come on, they had to have put some thought into the signing.....right :blink:

You're probably right. I'm sure they've done their due diligence on him.. but excuse me for being a little worried that our biggest off-season need, that elusive #1 center, was addressed by adding a 20 goal scorer who has never played center in the NHL.... and for an absurd price tag, at that. I don't want it to come off as though I'm dissing Leino, he's a good player; it just seems like an odd signing and if things don't work out at center, he's just another overpriced 20 goal winger.

Unless of course... he gets moved to wing and has a 30/40 goal season. Then I'm on board! :thumbsup:

I agree with the original post. Obviously the team has improved.

Having said that, I'm not convinced Ehrhoff will be everything people think he will be. He has been known to take some games off and consider that between Bieksa and Ehrhoff, Vancouver chose Bieksa. Still, our D is improved with his addition.

It seems obvious to me that both Darcy and Lindy believed that Leino was a much better player than his playing record showed. Sure, they would have rather have had Richards, but it seems that Richards wasn't serious about Buffalo. Failing that, they wasted not a moment in snapping up Leino to a very lucrative deal - one he almost had to accept. Obviously they feel he's worth every dollar. I wasn't as high on him as they were, but I trust their hockey acumen and so am really looking forward to see what Leino can really do.

The Sekera signing was important. Sekera could become a top four Dman. He has that potential and this is his opportunity to step up.

Signing Myers and Ennis to long term deals is essential. I'm sure the start of agent negotiations are already marked in Darcy's calendar.

First line center? I wouldn't worry about that just yet. Let's take the team out for a spin and see how it performs with all these new parts before we decide to overhaul the engine.

In this case, I'd say the change is a welcome one.

On paper, I agree the team looks better, although I still would've like to see another center brought in through trade.

With regards to the actual team, I'll reserve any judgement and expectations until I can actually see them play.

I agree with everything here that has been posted.

This team is better than last years, by far.

But lets see how they perform.

We acquired three big guys, not no names coughberniercough.

We have an owner who wants to win and a GM who KNOWS what to do.

He always has.

BUT lets see how preseason goes, just to see what they do, how they flow with team.

Its also like a gift from above.

For those that have played on big teams that travel and have seen guys come and go, know that the best way to get best acquainted and gain better chemistry is to go on a road trip.

Buffalo goes to Europe to start the season, so they are gonna be living and touring Europe together.

They wont be in Buffalo, with their own families.

So getting to talk while over there and be WITH the team at all times will help us a lot.

Plus, the last two Cup winners started playing overseas ;)

Eager for this season, LETS GO BUFFALO :D

So the biggest question for me surrounding the Sabres this summer was “what will Darcy do with Terry’s money?”

Overall, I was very impressed with the following:

* The Regehr heist was sheer genius —Regehr is exactly what the team needed most, Kotalik is money out of Terry’s pocket, not the hockey department budget, Butler and Byron had no significant future with this team and we got a high second-rounder for our troubles.

* He improved the power play and the defensive breakout by signing arguably the best free agent defenceman out there in Ehrhoff and got him at a very cap-friendly number that makes him easily tradable at the back half of the deal.

* He used a similar money-up-front tactic to get Sekera signed to a deal that makes him great value if he emerges as a top-four kind of guy for us and attractive trade bait even if doesn’t

* And he got our young guys like Weber, Enroth and especially Gerbe quickly signed to reasonable deals.

I will reserve judgment on the Stafford deal, except to say that it is good value for the player Stafford was last year and add that the quick signing sent a good message about the new “Hockey Heaven” that may have helped the subsequent deals.

The Leino contract was an overpayment for what he has done so far in his career. That said, we desperately needed a good centre and he was the best option available. I’m happier we have the player than the $4.6 million. Personally, I think Leino has upside he hasn’t shown yet because of his role in Philly, and this could be a Briere-type acquisition for us. And the door remains open for further upgrades through trade.

All in all, Leino, Erhoff and Regehr are a big improvement from Connolly, Butler and Montador. We kept our best prospects and picks and lost just one player from our core — one most here are happy to be rid of. And we have cap room available for further upgrades next year.

Maybe it's the rosy glow of summer, but I’d say it was good start.

What are your thoughts?

Great post man. I like it.

Pretty much agreed all in all, it was important for us to part with Connelly especially. I can't see much wrong other than that. Leino will be an interesting one but I think, as you said, it could work out pretty sweet for us. I think if we'd done much more it would have been to much change for one season, Ruff and the team still need time to work together, get to know each other.

Our AHL situation is vastly improved in my opinion as well.

EDIT: Talking of Ruff, Darcy's proven he can do the job, lets see if my faith in Ruff pays off. As the 30-in-30 on NHL.com said, time to show us what he can do.

In this case, I'd say the change is a welcome one.

On paper, I agree the team looks better, although I still would've like to see another center brought in through trade.

With regards to the actual team, I'll reserve any judgement and expectations until I can actually see them play.

There could be a mid-season trade or a trade deadline deal that will bring in the center that we need. That's a possibility.

On paper we are definitely improved. What I want to see before I really get too giddy is the chemistry of the team, and how the lines mesh.

Agreed, as well as with all the other posts.

I am hoping that with this lineup, they will be rolling the lines.

For those that have played on big teams that travel and have seen guys come and go, know that the best way to get best acquainted and gain better chemistry is to go on a road trip.

Buffalo goes to Europe to start the season, so they are gonna be living and touring Europe together.

They wont be in Buffalo, with their own families.

So getting to talk while over there and be WITH the team at all times will help us a lot.

Plus, the last two Cup winners started playing overseas ;)

Eager for this season, LETS GO BUFFALO :D

I really like this point. At first I was disappointed because Game 1 is on a Friday afternoon so I'm going to have to take a half day off of work. But as far as the team goes, this will hopefully help with that early chemistry.

I really like this point. At first I was disappointed because Game 1 is on a Friday afternoon so I'm going to have to take a half day off of work. But as far as the team goes, this will hopefully help with that early chemistry.

A few days ago, I was talking with Jussi Saarinen on Facebook chat. He's a sports reporter over at YLE in Finland. He's really looking forward to the Sabres coming to Helsinki.

There could be a mid-season trade or a trade deadline deal that will bring in the center that we need. That's a possibility.

Yup, you never know.

At any rate, I think this team should be better an improvement over last season, but like I said, I'll have to watch them play before I know what to expect.

At lot of new faces at once sometimes takes a while to absorb.

Archived