So how do you like "Hockey Heaven Darcy" so far?

dudacek

I am going to defer any comments regarding Regier until next off-season. I don't feel there were many options available this off-season to properly address the issues at the forward positions. I hope with some additional contracts coming off the books next off-season that some much needed changes to the forwards can take place.

The Sabres like the goalie they have. They built a potential wall on the blue-line. Next step towards being a Stanley Cup contender if getting some talent at the center position and some size, grit and consistent scoring on the wings.

I am going to defer any comments regarding Regier until next off-season. I don't feel there were many options available this off-season to properly address the issues at the forward positions. I hope with some additional contracts coming off the books next off-season that some much needed changes to the forwards can take place.

The Sabres like the goalie they have. They built a potential wall on the blue-line. Next step towards being a Stanley Cup contender if getting some talent at the center position and some size, grit and consistent scoring on the wings.

The potential is there for that size and grit to come in the form of Foligno and Kassian as soon as next year. Then again, there's the chance both will flame out and have minimal to no impact in the NHL. I think the former has a better chance of happening, but it's definitely not a sure thing.

The potential is there for that size and grit to come in the form of Foligno and Kassian as soon as next year. Then again, there's the chance both will flame out and have minimal to no impact in the NHL. I think the former has a better chance of happening, but it's definitely not a sure thing.

Let's hope the trend of having rookies enter the lineup and making an impact continues. Talented players on entry level contracts are pure NHL Gold.

While the Sabres do have some contracts ending after this season(Boyes, Gaustad & Hecht = 10. 5 mil cap it), Roy is due for a new contract after the 12-13 season, and Ennis & Myers will be RFA's and looking for multiple year deals at a significantly higher price than their current cap hits. I can't see them letting Roy walk as the scoring line center depth in the organization continues to be lacking.

While the Sabres do have some contracts ending after this season(Boyes, Gaustad & Hecht = 10. 5 mil cap it), Roy is due for a new contract after the 12-13 season, and Ennis & Myers will be RFA's and looking for multiple year deals at a significantly higher price than their current cap hits. I can't see them letting Roy walk as the scoring line center depth in the organization continues to be lacking.

Regehr and Leopold come off the books in 2013, that's $7 mil right there.

Roy is going to be an interesting contract. With the NHL cupboards bare as far as centers go, Roy may be looking at a hefty pay raise.

I think there is a good chance that Stafford will deliver the goods at forward. Others will need to step up as well, or be replaced.

I appreciate the open mind on Darcy.

Separately: I am pretty sure Gaustad will be back. Hecht and Boyes are doubtful though without very strong seasons this year and in any case they will need to take sizable pay cuts.

I think there is a good chance that Stafford will deliver the goods at forward. Others will need to step up as well, or be replaced.

Separately: I am pretty sure Gaustad will be back. Hecht and Boyes are doubtful though without very strong seasons this year and in any case they will need to take sizable pay cuts.

I agree with this. Our locker room is growing up, we saw evidence of it last year, and added to it with our off season pick ups. There will be grown ups in the locker room who have serious aspirations of contending for a Stanley Cup - they won't put up with players coasting through games and prolonged slumps. I think the players in this locker room will hold each other accountable. Long term success can't come from external motivation - it has to come from inside. The Sabres are building that.

I can't wait for the season to start.

I agree with this. Our locker room is growing up, we saw evidence of it last year, and added to it with our off season pick ups. There will be grown ups in the locker room who have serious aspirations of contending for a Stanley Cup - they won't put up with players coasting through games and prolonged slumps. I think the players in this locker room will hold each other accountable. Long term success can't come from external motivation - it has to come from inside. The Sabres are building that.

Dear me. I'm a bit flushed.

I'm more confident about Boyes, if he's allowed to play wing, than I am with Staph.

This is an excellent point. I hadn't given this much thought until now. This is another thing that comes back to Pegula. With Quinn/Golisano, players didn't have to worry about there being consequences for a lack of effort. With the dedication that ownership is now showing, not to mention the players that were brought in through free agency, I don't think there will be a problem at all with players being held accountable for their play.

I'm more confident about Boyes, if he's allowed to play wing, than I am with Staph.

Interesting. I didn't really see much from Boyes last year. I know he popped in a few goals at the end of the regular season, but I felt like these were mostly tap-ins that were right-time-right-place goals as opposed to intensity/talent goals. Then he disappeared in the playoffs. OTOH, I felt that Stafford really took it to the net consistently all year last year and just generally seemed more mature and determined. I recognize that Stafford didn't score enough in the playoffs, but I thought he continued to drive it to the net and produce chances, whereas Boyes was just invisible.

I also recognize that Stafford's history doesn't exactly inspire confidence that he won't prove to be a contract year flash in the pan. Still, I liked what I saw last year, and not just the numbers.

I'd love to see Boyes have a strong year, but I didn't see enough from him to be confident that it will happen.

This is an excellent point. I hadn't given this much thought until now. This is another thing that comes back to Pegula. With Quinn/Golisano, players didn't have to worry about there being consequences for a lack of effort. With the dedication that ownership is now showing, not to mention the players that were brought in through free agency, I don't think there will be a problem at all with players being held accountable for their play.

Well, I think Korab is right on about this group of players holding each other accountable more than previous groups, but I don't think I've seen anything to suggest that Pegula (or for that matter DR or LR) will be more inclined to hold players accountable than TG/LQ. Was there something specific you had in mind?

Interesting. I didn't really see much from Boyes last year. I know he popped in a few goals at the end of the regular season, but I felt like these were mostly tap-ins that were right-time-right-place goals as opposed to intensity/talent goals. Then he disappeared in the playoffs. OTOH, I felt that Stafford really took it to the net consistently all year last year and just generally seemed more mature and determined. I recognize that Stafford didn't score enough in the playoffs, but I thought he continued to drive it to the net and produce chances, whereas Boyes was just invisible.

I also recognize that Stafford's history doesn't exactly inspire confidence that he won't prove to be a contract year flash in the pan. Still, I liked what I saw last year, and not just the numbers.

I'd love to see Boyes have a strong year, but I didn't see enough from him to be confident that it will happen.

Well, I think Korab is right on about this group of players holding each other accountable more than previous groups, but I don't think I've seen anything to suggest that Pegula (or for that matter DR or LR) will be more inclined to hold players accountable than TG/LQ. Was there something specific you had in mind?

My thinking here is that the new attitude ownership has brought into this organization has/will have a major impact on the attitude of the players in the locker room. With the complacent attitude of previous ownership, players were less likely to lay it all on the line, and teammates were less likely to hold each other accountable knowing that ownership was not fully committed to winning. Now that players know ownership's #1 goal is to win, they, in theory, should be more willing to bring their teammates to task when the effort is not there on a nightly basis.

I could be giving ownership too much credit here, and this team could finally be maturing into the team Darcy had envisioned.

Also, I believe Robyn Regehr will have just as much impact in the locker room as he will have on the ice.

Article on MAGS but it's in French, taken from Dobbs Fantasy Hockey.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/201108/24/01-4428462-les-sabres-ont-rassure-gragnani.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers& utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B13b_hockey_194509_section_POS1

Basically, in the interview,Gragnani said that he was worried at first after the acquisitions of Ehrhoff

and Regehr, but the organization called him to tell him that his role wasn't going to change, and that he will still play on the PP. He was told that Ehrhoff was mainly seen as the shooter and that Gragnani was the passer. He also recognizes that the team has doubts about his defensive play, which could mean less ice time 5 on 5.

This makes sense to me. Like I've mentioned before, MAGS needs 58 games to prevent his becoming a UFA after this season. So it looks like Weber will be the odd man out.

I wouldn't say that anyone is the odd man out. Those bottom 3 will start out the year on some sort of rotation and then injuries are going to happen. They started the year with 8 d-men and minus Rivet, they all still hit 50 games played (ok, Butler played 49, close enough). The games will be there for these guys. Whether or not they hit the 60+ mark is going to depend on how they play and if they earn their spot.

I wouldn't say that anyone is the odd man out. Those bottom 3 will start out the year on some sort of rotation and then injuries are going to happen. They started the year with 8 d-men and minus Rivet, they all still hit 50 games played (ok, Butler played 49, close enough). The games will be there for these guys. Whether or not they hit the 60+ mark is going to depend on how they play and if they earn their spot.

Competition is a beautiful thing. Play your @ss off or take a seat in the pressbox.

I'll bet anyone a six pack of one of those crazy beers being discussed on that other thread one of the seven is injured and unavailable for the opener. If they are healthy, we are all going to read a lot into the lineup for the opening few games, but even the guy getting scratched is going to play a big role in the grand scheme of things. I would not be stunned if MAG got his 58 games just because of injuries (assuming he doesn't also get hurt at some point).

I'll bet anyone a six pack of one of those crazy beers being discussed on that other thread one of the seven is injured and unavailable for the opener. If they are healthy, we are all going to read a lot into the lineup for the opening few games, but even the guy getting scratched is going to play a big role in the grand scheme of things. I would not be stunned if MAG got his 58 games just because of injuries (assuming he doesn't also get hurt at some point).

I'll take that bet. :)

We are talking the season opener, not the home opener, right?

I feel like TG would say "Wow, pommers is off this year, but hey, they put up signs on the 190 that say welcome to pominville and he's making money by all of the jerseys they bought of his so what the hell"

TP, being the hockey fan, would says(hopefully) "Man, pommers really sucks. This better not keep happening"

I'm not saying the outcome will be an different but I feel like TP will have his hands in on everything top to bottom. I also feel like he will be there to listen to the people that know what they are talking about and not just make a decision and have everyone else spin it off for him.

Archived