The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Waaaaaay too much work. When I consider the idea I multiply the PITA for my 5 gallons by X gallons and realize that it would be an monumental PITA. Fun. Yessir. Profitable? I don’t see how.

It can be profitable, but its so much work. I know some brewers, 92% of the job is cleaning. No thanks. I'll stick to my couple gallons 4 times a year.

I'd rather just win the lotto, open up a small brew pub, pay someone else to do the brewing, and plan on operating the place at a loss. So much better!

It can be profitable, but its so much work. I know some brewers, 92% of the job is cleaning. No thanks. I'll stick to my couple gallons 4 times a year.

I'd rather just win the lotto, open up a small brew pub, pay someone else to do the brewing, and plan on operating the place at a loss. So much better!

Lord, is it so much work. Mostly cleaning. And often cold and wet, too.

Saranac/FX Matt has a Haus Lager, a 4.9% regular old beer in pint cans. I would describe it as better PBR. Which is perfect. I hope this is what we get from CBW with Iroquois.

Yaassss

If any of you folks ever find yourself in yhe Letchworh State Park area, The Silver Lake Brewing Projectin Perry has surprisingly good beers. Their IPA 6 is a juicy hop bomb. And their Belgian Golden Strong Ale is terrific. They rotate through cask ales. And are starting a barrel aged series.

Nice find in the middle of nowhere.

If any of you folks ever find yourself in yhe Letchworh State Park area, The Silver Lake Brewing Projectin Perry has surprisingly good beers. Their IPA 6 is a juicy hop bomb. And their Belgian Golden Strong Ale is terrific. They rotate through cask ales. And are starting a barrel aged series.

I’m glad more and more people are finding this place :)

My family is from that part of town. I’ve stopped in several times. I would keep going back even if their beer sucked just because I have a special connection to the owner/head brewer. But the beer is fantastic. Hoping they continue to build it out and add food options.

You at the bowling alley?

Nope.  Place actually has a decent tap list.

Strikers in Orchard Park proves the two aren't mutually exclusive: http://strikers.biz/beer-menu/

Thanks for the tip! I pass through there on my visits to Buffalo.

Nice.  I was aware of their brewery but I didn't have the desire to seek it out.  I can probably alter my drive from Rochester to Franklinville to put that at least close enough to the route to stop in and check it out.

Nice.  I was aware of their brewery but I didn't have the desire to seek it out.  I can probably alter my drive from Rochester to Franklinville to put that at least close enough to the route to stop in and check it out.

Short detour off 20A.

I missed the launch event yesterday, but here's some more info on the new Iroquois Beer:

https://www.facebook.com/communitybeerworks/posts/2033166203376558

Earlier today and prior to our Iroquois Beer release event, we hosted a press conference at which we discussed much of what follows. Naively, we thought more of it would make it into local news broadcast segments and articles, but we were given the ten second news segment treatment. We'd like to share this and hope you'll read it and provide your feedback.

------

When we were first approached and asked to brew Iroquois Beer, we were honored to take on the brewing legacy of one of America’s historic regional breweries. The beer and its place in Buffalo's entrepreneurial and brewing history is unparalleled, its place in local culture is iconic.

At one point in time, Iroquois Brewing Company sold upwards of 40% of the total beer consumed in Buffalo. The company employed thousands and brewed millions of barrels of beer that were shared in family rooms and corner taverns throughout Western New York.

Beer is ingrained into the culture of this town and frankly, our city loves beer.

As a company, we believe that if we build community in everything we do, good things will happen. We seek to make the beer that you share as you discuss an idea, or catch up with an old friend, or to celebrate a special occasion. We think beer, especially local beer, can be a force for good and bring people together to celebrate what we have in common and discuss our differences. In person, not on the Internet. And at Community Beer Works we invest a significant amount of our time and resources into helping our neighbors in need, drawing broader attention to issues that affect them, and generally trying to do the right thing. Our progressive positions and support for our neighbors is a cornerstone of who we are as people and as a company.

Thus, while honored to brew this beer and reintroduce it to Buffalo and Western New York, we were also troubled by the legacy of stereotypical and appropriative imagery of indigenous people associated with the brand. Even the word Iroquois is considered offensive by many as it was a colonialist name given to the Haudenosaunee people by the French.

So, as a team, we decided to take steps to address this shameful past while looking to the future and celebrating the community and tavern culture that was often inspired by Iroquois Beer. We also realize this use of appropriative imagery in the brewing industry is not in the past. Local taverns and pubs are festooned with the legacy merchandise of Iroquois and other appropriative beer brands. We'll encourage and incent our local partners and customers to replace that legacy merchandise and consider the impact it has when displayed on a wall in a public establishment.

Our Pledge:

- We will not use imagery of indigenous people or appropriative cultural items in the marketing, promotion, or sale of this beer.

- Our focus will be on rebranding Iroquois Beer with the term “Have an Iri!” as part of our effort to distance ourselves from the past.

- CBW will offer both an online platform and host offline events for local indigenous organizations, activists, and allies to discuss how appropriation and stereotypical/racist imagery has harmed people over time. Stories are powerful and sharing them as a means to promote broader cultural understanding will be our focus.

- As a company, we will transparently gather constant feedback on our actions and actively encourage discussion about how we can collectively create a broader understanding of historic cultural inequities.

- We're still working out the final details, but we are committed to donating a portion of our proceeds to local indigenous rights organizations as a means to build community and show support for our neighbors.

Thank you,
ChrisEthan, and the entire CBW Family

Edited by sabelvilhelm

Interesting. Would you meddle?

In this dream world I've created, I'd have some discussions with the brewer during interviews to make sure we had similar thoughts on the type of beer I was interested at having at my place, and I'd give some ideas for future beers or whatnot, but the brewhouse would be his/hers. It would be like an owner/GM sort of relationship; if you are terrible I reserve the right to replace you, and I'll definitely have suggestions, but you're the hockey/football/beer person, I'll let you make the calls until I think you shouldn't anymore.

This is not the first time I've thought about this.

EDIT: An owner/GM relationship where the owners last name isn't Wilson or Pegula  :nana:

Edited by sabelvilhelm

• 3 weeks later...

Rohrbach Cookies and Milk Stout.

Now, this is not a beer I would normally buy, but it's my birthday and I'm feeling lucky.

Let me tell you what. This beer isn't messing around. It legit tastes like Chips Ahoy cookies. It's uncanny valley.

This is a recommendation.

That's some scary crap.. drinking a  Chips Ahoy.  And Happy BDay

Rohrbach Cookies and Milk Stout.

Now, this is not a beer I would normally buy, but it's my birthday and I'm feeling lucky.

Let me tell you what. This beer isn't messing around. It legit tastes like Chips Ahoy cookies. It's uncanny valley.

This is a recommendation.

My dad has sent me pictures of him drinking Cookies and Milk.. Very cruel of him!! Unfortunately that’s as close to trying it as I’ve gotten! He typically stays away from stouts/porters, but he really enjoyed this one.

Glad you enjoyed it too! You’re not allowed to drink bad beer on your birthday :D

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.