The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Wait for a super hot day and then go nuts and try a sour. Sometimes it just hits the spot.

The thing with sours is that no one is drinking them correctly. You're not supposed to drink sours straight, you're supposed to mix them with a flavored syrup.

Personally, I like using Chambord because it's also booze. 

The thing with sours is that no one is drinking them correctly. You're not supposed to drink sours straight, you're supposed to mix them with a flavored syrup.

I believe this only applies to BerlinerWeisse.  These days, breweries that make Berliners usually mix in the fruit flavor to begin with.  The traditional BerlinerWeisse is given either red or green depending on which syrup you want.

snape-thoughtful.gif

(The use of the potions master is intentional, btw.)

I'd like to take this opportunity to share that I was the one in our little life together that decided to cut a sour-ish beer with Chambord. It was Cayuga Cruiser, I found it not to my taste, and threw some Chambord in there. Made for a pretty good little sipper. 

ac310f812264ad20a6196c6e094b0e9c.jpg

This is correct. Adding flavord syrups to sours is a Berliner Weisse thing.

I feel like you can probably just do it with all of them or else what is the point?

I'd like to take this opportunity to share that I was the one in our little life together that decided to cut a sour-ish beer with Chambord. It was Cayuga Cruiser, I found it not to my taste, and threw some Chambord in there. Made for a pretty good little sipper.

ac310f812264ad20a6196c6e094b0e9c.jpg

Credit where it's due!

I feel like you can probably just do it with all of them or else what is the point?

That’s not the same as what you posted though. You claimed noone is drinking them “right” when the only style that is intended to be flavored by the drinker is a Berliner Weisse

Which is a sour. What's the difference?

Berliner Weisse is one type of sour. There are many other beer styles that fall under that category. I think the Berliner is the only one that has TRADITIONALLY had syrups added to them, though of course you could do it to any that you like. 

Most Belgian style beers have a sour hit to them because of the yeast that comes from there.

Berliner Weisse is one type of sour. There are many other beer styles that fall under that category. I think the Berliner is the only one that has TRADITIONALLY had syrups added to them, though of course you could do it to any that you like. 

Most Belgian style beers have a sour hit to them because of the yeast that comes from there.

Are there? I feel like you're being generous.

I feel like if you're making a sour and you're not calling it a Berliner Weisse it's only because you're sick of people asking what that means. 

Are there? I feel like you're being generous.

I feel like if you're making a sour and you're not calling it a Berliner Weisse it's only because you're sick of people asking what that means. 

nooooo no no no

Lambics, geuze (gose), wild ales, Flanders red all also fall under the sour mantle, and there are others. Most came about separately from each other and are from all over west central Europe. You could even toss saisons and other farmhouse styles into there, they have a sourness to them as well. 

Plus at this point beer has become so widespread and varied that there are new styles all the time, and putting them in small boxes can be troublesome. The BJCP adds new styles every year because of the constant new innovations in beer and styles. There are certainly sour beers that, besides tasting sour, hold no real resemblance to a Weisse.

Edited by sabills

nooooo no no no

Lambics, geuze (gose), wild ales, Flanders red all also fall under the sour mantle, and there are others. Most came about separately from each other and are from all over west central Europe. You could even toss saisons and other farmhouse styles into there, they have a sourness to them as well. 

Plus at this point beer has become so widespread and varied that there are new styles all the time, and putting them in small boxes can be troublesome. The BJCP adds new styles every year because of the constant new innovations in beer and styles. There are certainly sour beers that, besides tasting sour, hold no real resemblance to a Weisse.

I feel like "having sourness" and "being a sour" are two different things. 

If you want to get technical, what makes a sour a sour is the presence of one of two different bacteria strains, lactobacillus or pediococcus, both of which eat sugars and then release lactic acid instead of alcohol. That lactic acid is what gives the beer its sourness. Some people put Brett beer (beer that uses brettanomyces instead or in addition to saccharomyces yeast, which is the standard beer yeast) in the sour list as well, but thats more "funky" than sour, and generally has its own category.

As Levar Burton would put it, you don't have to take my word for it:

https://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf

Section 23 European Sour Ales. Lists those ones I mentioned as well as Oud Bruin as sours. They're the authority, here. And that doesn't take American Wild Ales into consideration, which the beer world also considers sours, depending on the beer.

One thing I don't like to mix with my beer is pedantry.

HE BROUGHT THIS ON HIMSELF

It's not an accurate assessment.  If you really want to dig down into it you can read about the Beer Judging Certification Guidelines, you'd find Style Category 28 "American Wild Ale" and Category 23 "European Sour Ales".

There are sours that use Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, etc.

There are sours that use wild yeast that carry natural souring agents.

And so on..

Categories being:

Brett Beer

Mixed-Fermentation Sour Beer

Wild Specialty Beer

BerlinerWeisse

Flanders Red Ale

Oud Bruin

Lambic

Gueuze

Fruit Lambic

Haaaaave you met craft beer? It's like 100% pedantry. 

It's not really.  There categorizations in beer just as there are in other things.  There are those who care more about them as well.  However, that said, it's not pedantic to point out the different in sour ales and that they are not all intended to be blended with a syrup.  It's educational and nothing more.  It's not judgmental in any way.  I'm never judgmental about it.  It's a taste thing.  If you want to mix a beer, go for it.

It's not really.  There categorizations in beer just as there are in other things.  There are those who care more about them as well.  However, that said, it's not pedantic to point out the different in sour ales and that they are not all intended to be blended with a syrup.  It's educational and nothing more.  It's not judgmental in any way.  I'm never judgmental about it.  It's a taste thing.  If you want to mix a beer, go for it.

Right. Saying you're drinking sours wrong because you're not adding syrup is like saying you're drinking whiskey wrong because you're not adding ice. Drink what you like, how you like.

Section 23 European Sour Ales. Lists those ones I mentioned as well as Oud Bruin as sours. They're the authority, here. And that doesn't take American Wild Ales into consideration, which the beer world also considers sours, depending on the beer.

Never knew that............. must have stopped at Section 22..............

Which is a sour. What's the difference?

Berliner is one of many types of sour beers, but LTS has already corrected you on that.

Don't make me make you a Venn diagram.

Dude, you were wrong.  it is OK to admit it.  Even on the internet.

Haaaaave you met craft beer? It's like 100% pedantry. 

It's not even a craft thing.  Europeans have been making more styles of sour beers longer than US has been a country.

Fair.

I’ve taken to calling beer, beer.

Which is great... and music is music, cars are cars, a hockey team is a hockey team, and your mom is... nah.. not going there. :)

It's not wrong, it's just not descriptive.  Depending on the conversation a different level of description is needed.  If this were "The Official Alcohol Appreciate Thread" it might be expected to say I like beer.  Although someone would probably ask which style and brand..  but this is already the beer thread... we're a level down in the descriptions.

• 1 year later...

Been awhile on this one.  Had a great happy hour with a couple of great work friends on Friday at the Walrus in Columbus.  Tried to mix it up a bit, I like variety.

Started out with a good scotch.  Forget what it was, I'm not a scotch drinker, but it was good.  May have been Macallan 12?

Then switched to the excellent craft beer selection.  50% off during happy hour.  Hell yes!

Started with the SweetWater 420 Strain G13 IPA.  Pint smelled just like a bag of weed.  Smelled great and tasted better!

Then went with a Truth IPA from Rhineghist.  Delicious and from just down I71 (Cincinnati) from Cbus.

Next was the Elvis Juice from Brewdog.  Awesome!  U.S. headquarters in Canal Winchester, about 15 minutes from my house.

Then as the night cap(s), 2 Golden Monkeys from Victory Brewing (MattPie approved?).  Excellent!

Overall a great night, and was happy to try some new to me stuff.  Was very comfortable upon leaving.  ?

Went out and picked up some Hop Stoopid for tonight, and really enjoying that too.  Beer on, dudes!

I was up in the Old Forge area of the Adirondacks last week. A brewery called Fulton Chain Craft Brewery opened there a couple years ago, and their beer has gotten stronger (like better, not more alcoholic) each year. They had a double IPA on tap this time that was super good. A throw back to the west coast IPAs of a few years ago with that real bitter hop kick without being a palate wrecker.

I've been missing that a bit recently. I do love the juicy/hazy NE style IPAs and was very happy when they started coming out, but I could use a bit more hop burn in my life.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, sabills said:

I was up in the Old Forge area of the Adirondacks last week. A brewery called Fulton Chain Craft Brewery opened there a couple years ago, and their beer has gotten stronger (like better, not more alcoholic) each year. They had a double IPA on tap this time that was super good. A throw back to the west coast IPAs of a few years ago with that real bitter hop kick without being a palate wrecker.

I've been missing that a bit recently. I do love the juicy/hazy NE style IPAs and was very happy when they started coming out, but I could use a bit more hop burn in my life.

Yes! The NE style craze has gone too far. Everywhere I go it's all I find. I like the style, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I just want to be punched in the face by some bitter hops. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.