The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

To your first question: The nano's and micro's in the region -- Resurgence, Big Ditch, Community Beer Works, etc. -- will be standing in line to buy locally-sourced hops. There are some popular hop varieties (especially the ones used for American IPAs) that you can't get for a fair price unless you're willing to wait 9 months -- the supply is not meeting demand.

In addition to which, there's a big malting operation that opened somewhere just outside Buffalo's downtown core -- down Larkinville way maybe. It's gonna be hella cheaper, I think, for the local brewers to get their malt supply in that way.

To your second question: I think that's' a fair point and concern. We'll hafta to wait and see how the locally grown stuff turns out. I think it promises to be quality stuff. In addition, we have the chance to develop a "local flavour," if you will.

1) Yup, especially with the NYS thing that allows them (specifically CBW who is just a brewery, not a brewpub) to sell beer on premises if they buy X amount of NYS produce for their stuff.

2) Tim Herzog mentioned this when I was on a tour of Flying Bison. Consistency is very important, especially to him, where he's producing the same beers over and over and expects them to be, well, consistent. Until the local hops shake themselves out a bit, I think he and other large brewers will wait.

Edited by sabills

So there is a significant difference in hops grown in any batch of soil.  Think of it like grapes and wine.

The local hops aren't a problem when you want to brew one off batches.  It's when you want the consistency of a year round label that it becomes more of a problem.  Although if you are using those hops in a year round and keep using them then you should be okay.

Thanks for all the response.... I'd seen them grown in N. Idaho, in much larger areas than here. But with homebrewing taking off the way it has, and micro/nano brews everywhere, I guess it makes some sense. Can't wait to sample a local product with local hops!

Drank a few The Kimme, The Yank , and the Holy Gose last night. Canned Gose by Anderson. If you like the style,akin to a Berliner weise to my taste buds, it was very nice. 4.2% ABV, which is perfect for summer drinking.

I've had the Blood Orange Gose from Anderson Valley.  Good stuff.

Drank a few The Kimme, The Yank , and the Holy Gose last night. Canned Gose by Anderson. If you like the style,akin to a Berliner weise to my taste buds, it was very nice. 4.2% ABV, which is perfect for summer drinking.

So far I have been unable to get into the Gose stuff. My cousin bought some cans of TKTYATHG for the fourth on accident, and hated them, so I tried one, and could barely get through it. Of course, a couple years ago I couldn't handle sours, and now they at least have a place on the shelf for me. 

Maybe he's just too blue collar (in the mold of Eichel and Murray) to drink all that fancy pretentious stuff. Some of us commoners don't have a sophisticated enough palate to spend money on the fancy stuff.

Obviously you're just allowing your taste buds to be lazy. Not only are they Hodgson in the defensive zone, but you're telling them it's okay to be Hodgson in the defensive zone.

You lack compete.

You cut me to the quick, TBPhD.

I have other palate deficiencies as well. But sours is the only one to which I am copping for now.

Maybe he's just too blue collar (in the mold of Eichel and Murray) to drink all that fancy pretentious stuff. Some of us commoners don't have a sophisticated enough palate to spend money on the fancy stuff.  

Ha - I have plenty of pretentiousness. Rest assured. 

But I will also drink most anything, if need be.

I have a NASCAR sorta family member - related by marriage - whom I love dearly. He knows I love craft beer, but he has no earthly idea what that means for me, specifically. He is also very generous - he regularly buys me a 6-pack, bomber, or whatever when I am rolling over his way. Four times out of five, it is something I do not really like. It's amazing, really, given how much good stuff is out there. I'll drop subtle hints about the sort of things I do like - just mentioning good breweries, mostly - but that has not changed the dynamic, yet.

There are far worse problems to have.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Obviously you're just allowing your taste buds to be lazy. Not only are they Hodgson in the defensive zone, but you're telling them it's okay to be Hodgson in the defensive zone.

Jack Eichel and Tim Murray disagree. They ooze hard work and proudly drink yellow cornwater and everyone here is ready to make them dual Popes with Mr. O'Reilly waiting in the wings for backup Pope. Hodgson is much more likely to be the microbrew type. I hear Gary Roberts brings it in by the truckful.

Jack Eichel and Tim Murray disagree. They ooze hard work and proudly drink yellow cornwater and everyone here is ready to make them dual Popes with Mr. O'Reilly waiting in the wings for backup Pope. Hodgson is much more likely to be the microbrew type. I hear Gary Roberts brings it in by the truckful.

I think you missed the analogy. :)

What's an example of one?

Duchesse de Bourgogne is a favorite of mine. Love it.  Rodenbach as mentioned.  Goose Island barrel aged Flanders Red, Russian River Consecration, Russian River Supplication are all interesting beers.  Check out the Belgian beer section at Consumers Beverages.

Duchesse de Bourgogne is a favorite of mine. Love it. Rodenbach as mentioned. Goose Island barrel aged Flanders Red, Russian River Consecration, Russian River Supplication are all interesting beers. Check out the Belgian beer section at Consumers Beverages.

Another great domestic sour is La Folie from New Belgium. I went on the tour in Colorado a few years ago and they had samples of the base brown ale and then the fantastically complex soured version afterwards. Awesome.

Another great domestic sour is La Folie from New Belgium. I went on the tour in Colorado a few years ago and they had samples of the base brown ale and then the fantastically complex soured version afterwards. Awesome.

That is a very nice, and the Rodenbach Flemish Brown as has been mentioned. Local beer palace in Richmond had a sour night month or so ago..$40 but well worth it. Love the sours.

Found some Cigar City Vanilla Madura last week.  Very smooth and very delicious.  A bit heavier than I like my summer beers but it was a mouth watering treat for my mouth.  The vanilla was subtle and this is a brown ale so it just adds a little bit of sweetness to it. I recommend trying some if you can find it.  Cigar City does some really good beers and I hope to drink some more of their stuff.

http://cigarcitybrewing.com/beer/vanilla-maduro/?age-verified=1751222f00

Found some Cigar City Vanilla Madura last week.  Very smooth and very delicious.  A bit heavier than I like my summer beers but it was a mouth watering treat for my mouth.  The vanilla was subtle and this is a brown ale so it just adds a little bit of sweetness to it. I recommend trying some if you can find it.  Cigar City does some really good beers and I hope to drink some more of their stuff.

http://cigarcitybrewing.com/beer/vanilla-maduro/?age-verified=1751222f00

This sounds right up my alley. I can't find a local location distributing it though. Is it only in the south?

Stopped by the bottle shop near work during lunch and picked up a Gratzer beer by New Belgium / Three Floyds.  I've only had this style as a homebrew before, but I enjoyed it a lot.  It's a very rare style that originated in Poland.. a smoked beer that is light in color, hops and alcohol (~ 4%). I'll be enjoying it on the porch later tonight.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.