The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Just finishing bottling in time for the weekend is a blond ale I made 3 gallons of, and then split into 3 for secondary. First is the Dumb Blonde, which is just the blond straight, second is the Dirty Blonde, which was dryhopped w/ Citra, and third is a Strawberry Blonde, which, as you can imagine, had strawberries in the secondary. Saturday is brew day, and I'm making a Blackberry Black Lager, which should be fun and new for me.

I do mostly Brew in a Bag, which means I can do the the All-grain stuff with less time and A LOT less equipment. I don't this there's much a difference with extract vs all grain, except the grains give you a ton more options; with the extracts you can be limited some for your base malts. I still do extract stuff when I have a recipe I know I want a lot of, because I can only do 3-4 gallons of BIAB as opposed to the ~5.5 I can do with extract, which is all based on my kettle size.

Also, that gingered ale sounds awesome. I made a winter warmer with cloves and ginger and it was fantastic.

I can honestly say that I've never considered splitting my brew into two secondaries. I brew 5.5 at a time which gives me two cases. I can dry hop in one and finish or do whatever in the other. You've given me a new angle full of new possibilities. Thanks.

Stopped by BoTW this afternoon and picked up my favorite German beer: Schneider Weisse Original Tap 7. Cheers everyone  :beer:

If you fancy a better overall location that's nearby you should check out AJ's Beer Warehouse on Clay Rd in Henrietta.  Walk-on temperature controlled beer rooms, 30 or so taps.. better prices and staff.

If you fancy a better overall location that's nearby you should check out AJ's Beer Warehouse on Clay Rd in Henrietta.  Walk-on temperature controlled beer rooms, 30 or so taps.. better prices and staff.

Odd, because I actually stopped there first and they were closed even though they should have been open according to their hours posted. Is it nice inside? The exterior has a pretty unassuming look to it. 

They were closed?  Was it Sunday?  Strange.

Anyway, it's nothing fancy.  It's a beer warehouse.  But they keep the vast majority of beer at about 50 degrees.

Nope, it was 2 days ago, Friday. In fact, 2 other cars pulled into the parking lot and tried going in and realized it was closed so I wasn't the only one haha but I will have to give it another try on my next beer run

Edited by TheDominator

Nope, it was 2 days ago, Friday. In fact, 2 other cars pulled into the parking lot and tried going in and realized it was closed so I wasn't the only one haha but I will have to give it another try on my next beer run

The power went out here and a lot of the businesses along Jefferson ended up closing early. We tried to go to Dibella's and it was shut up tight.

I can honestly say that I've never considered splitting my brew into two secondaries. I brew 5.5 at a time which gives me two cases. I can dry hop in one and finish or do whatever in the other. You've given me a new angle full of new possibilities. Thanks.

B-) Glad to help. I get bored quick, so I do a lot of weird stuff with my beer, haha.

I've never been able to get behind a shandy, but every summer I end up trying a new one, to see if someone can make it work. Maybe this summer I'll try shocktop's.

It's going to suck. You know it's going to suck. It's a faux craft beer made by Anheuser Inbev.

I'm close to that. But I stop short in the face of a small handful of adult beverages -- shandys (shandies?) among them.

I judge those beverages as unpalatable. No need to judge those who drink them.

My available time for alcohol consumption these days is limited, so I can't be bothered to waste it on something like a shandy. There's too much good beer out there.

Would you drink cat pee on a gooseberry bush?

Cat pee is sometimes used to describe flavors in wine and beer. Why its desirable I have no idea.

My favorite is with some of the earthier hop varieties people will say that the beer has a "horse blanket aroma". You mean crap. Your beer literally smells like crap.

Edited by sabills

Cat pee is sometimes used to describe flavors in wine and beer. Why its desirable I have no idea.

My favorite is with some of the earthier hop varieties people will say that the beer has a "horse blanket aroma". You mean crap. Your beer literally smells like crap.

"Horse blanket" is the product of beers fermented with brettanomyces bacteria.  It doesn't smell like horse crap.  It does have a smell not unlike being around horses (crap excluded) though.  You find it in some Belgian styles.  Not ones I prefer.

My favorite is with some of the earthier hop varieties people will say that the beer has a "horse blanket aroma". You mean crap. Your beer literally smells like crap.

The horse blanket character typically comes from using brettanomyces yeast.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.