Around the NHL 2011-2012

spndnchz

Looks like Lidstrom is announcing his retirement at a presser tomorrow.

So how long until the Wings retire his number?

Lidstrom played 20 years all with the Wings and has a whopping +450 and only has 1 year with a negative +/- (-2) add to that 1564pts along with his mass of trophys and you can argue he is easily 1 of the greatest defenders in history. Congratulation to Lidstrom on one hell of career.

Still a surprise to me.

The buzz for three weeks was Hartley to Habs as a done deal.

IMO, the Habs will hire a real French Canadien.

Again, IMO, at a pr event in about a week they will welcome as coach ... Patrick Roy.

So how long until the Wings retire his number?

Lidstrom played 20 years all with the Wings and has a whopping +450 and only has 1 year with a negative +/- (-2) add to that 1564pts along with his mass of trophys and you can argue he is easily 1 of the greatest defenders in history. Congratulation to Lidstrom on one hell of career.

Point one ... home opener.

Point two ... hopefully in 17 years you will be posting the same thing about Myers with the Sabres.

IMO, the Habs will hire a real French Canadien.

Again, IMO, at a pr event in about a week they will welcome as coach ... Patrick Roy

Only if they have no other option, right now the front runners for the position are Crawford and Therien.....

May have spoken too soon, looks like TSN just put up an article saying Roy could be back in the mix

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397361

Only if they have no other option, right now the front runners for the position are Crawford and Therien.....

May have spoken too soon, looks like TSN just put up an article saying Roy could be back in the mix

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397361

Crawford, although his first name is spelled the French way (there must be some heritage there) is another Upper Canadian.

Therrien is a re-tread and I don't think the new regime would want to do that.

Mark my words ... it will be Roy ... I will add IMO ... not pulling a Messier here. I would be surprised if it isn't Roy ... enough time has passed since the rather smelly way he left the Habs.

The Canadains only require that the coach speak french fluently, he doesn't have to actually be from Quebec. Crawford, Therien, and Hartley all were fluent in French, thats why they were the top choices.

I don't doubt your reasoning and you are likely correct about the french fluency.

My wife is from Montreal and I am very familiar with the culture in Quebec. It is unique. I feel strongly that the preference would be for a Quebecois. While Therrien is from Montreal and, obviously a French Canadien, they went down that road before and, IMO, would prefer to go with another candidate of similar heritage ... especially one with a history with the team as storied as Roy's.

I still am confident that in the end it will most likely be Roy, IMO.

I don't doubt your reasoning and you are likely correct about the french fluency.

My wife is from Montreal and I am very familiar with the culture in Quebec. It is unique. I feel strongly that the preference would be for a Quebecois. While Therrien is from Montreal and, obviously a French Canadien, they went down that road before and, IMO, would prefer to go with another candidate of similar heritage ... especially one with a history with the team as storied as Roy's.

I still am confident that in the end it will most likely be Roy, IMO.

just curious, but did Roy say he was interested in that job? also, is he currently coaching? I don't follow many coaches. I know some of the popular ones obviously, but that's it.

just curious, but did Roy say he was interested in that job? also, is he currently coaching? I don't follow many coaches. I know some of the popular ones obviously, but that's it.

He is coaching a team in the juniors, his sons played for him, there were some incidents a few years ago with him and his kids and some fights I believe. I thought he said he wasn't interested and it was the media going after it thinking its the most logical choice for the team.

As for them looking for someone from Quebec, That might be your opinion Sabres Fan in NS, but the issue they had with the last coach was that he didn't speak fluent french. There was no issue with him not being from Quebec, they have had multiple other coaches not from Quebec. They just want someone who can speak fluent french to the media after games and not need a translator/interpreter to talk to reporters.

I have not heard of public reports that he wants the job, but it does seem obvious ... the media has had a field day with the speculation. He is everything ... part owner (I believe), GM and coach of the Quebec Remparts in the QMJL.

He has a temper (as our friend with the Geico avatar mentioned) and some not very flattering stories have followed him around over the years. He completely lost it a few times in the Q playoffs this year ... his Remparts lost in OT of game 7 in the second round after leading 3 games to none ... against our Nathan MacKinnon led Halifax Mooseheads no less.

I have not heard of public reports that he wants the job, but it does seem obvious ... the media has had a field day with the speculation. He is everything ... part owner (I believe), GM and coach of the Quebec Remparts in the QMJL.

He has a temper (as our friend with the Geico avatar mentioned) and some not very flattering stories have followed him around over the years. He completely lost it a few times in the Q playoffs this year ... his Remparts lost in OT of game 7 in the second round after leading 3 games to none ... against our Nathan MacKinnon led Halifax Mooseheads no less.

I think it would be cool for MTL to tab him as the next coach, but if he really does have a bad temper, is that a trait that they are going to look down upon? Don't get me wrong, I know he has fire, but I think the big question is can he keep it controlled?

I think it would be cool for MTL to tab him as the next coach, but if he really does have a bad temper, is that a trait that they are going to look down upon? Don't get me wrong, I know he has fire, but I think the big question is can he keep it controlled?

They'll have to bring in a goalie that can fight.

It's not safe for a goalie to have a job like that ;)

The Bruins fans I know are all pretty okay with it. A lot of Rask fans excited for him to get his chance.

That's also because a lot of bruin fans think this gives them extra money to go after someone like Parise. Unfortunately for them, Thomas pulling this stunt will leave a bunch of dead money on their cap.

That's also because a lot of bruin fans think this gives them extra money to go after someone like Parise. Unfortunately for them, Thomas pulling this stunt will leave a bunch of dead money on their cap.

They'll have to put Savard on LTIR

Also, on the topic of Parise, I can't believe I hadn't noticed it before but almost half of NJ's roster is going to UFA this offseason. They're going to have a lot of work to do to keep their team from walking away from them.

Is there really any question that Parise re-signs with New Jersey?

They'll have to put Savard on LTIR

Also, on the topic of Parise, I can't believe I hadn't noticed it before but almost half of NJ's roster is going to UFA this offseason. They're going to have a lot of work to do to keep their team from walking away from them.

Is there really any question that Parise re-signs with New Jersey?

His dad says he would love to go to the Rangers

Archived