Around the NHL 2011-2012

spndnchz

Cheaper than Dustin Penner will likely be and about the same player, right? Hmmm......

They're definitely similar in a lot of ways. Penner is a little bigger, but Stewart is a much better skater, particularly in the top-end speed department. He's also younger and fights more. On the other hand, Penner is much better at using his frame to maintain puck possession and at cycling in the offensive zone. Stewart had his best success in a breakout attack in Colorado than in a structured, possession-based system like St. Louis runs. I'd much rather have Stewart, and it's not even really close for me...but I'm a Penner hater, so there's that (and yes I saw him in the playoffs, but I have no confidence he'll play like that on a regular basis).

They're definitely similar in a lot of ways. Penner is a little bigger, but Stewart is a much better skater, particularly in the top-end speed department. He's also younger and fights more. On the other hand, Penner is much better at using his frame to maintain puck possession and at cycling in the offensive zone. Stewart had his best success in a breakout attack in Colorado than in a structured, possession-based system like St. Louis runs. I'd much rather have Stewart, and it's not even really close for me...but I'm a Penner hater, so there's that (and yes I saw him in the playoffs, but I have no confidence he'll play like that on a regular basis).

Wait, you'd rather have Stewart even though he struggles in a puck-possesion system, which the Sabres are trying to play?

Wait, you'd rather have Stewart even though he struggles in a puck-possesion system, which the Sabres are trying to play?

Yes, for several reasons. First, if you have the physical size to do it, I think shielding the puck and protecting it along the boards is a skill which can be taught...plus he's still young, so there's a better chance he can expand his game than Penner. Also, the risk is lower. 1 year $3 million....do you think Penner is signing for only 1 year anywhere? I don't. The problems Stewart seemed to have in St. Louis were adapting to Hitchcock's system (and while Ruff's system isn't exactly free-wheeling, it is certainly more open than Hitchcock's), it was never an effort thing. Whereas with Penner, you always have to question what you're going to get out of him effort-wise. And lastly it comes down to a speed issue. I think the Sabres are already on the wrong side of the team speed equation, and the absolute last thing I want to see them do at this point is get any slower.

once again I am in agreement with TrueBlue. But to me the biggest thing is the effort. We don't need more players who's effort is questioned. I would rather take the player that might struggle with the system but give me his full effort then the one that might fit it better but who's effort is questioned

once again I am in agreement with TrueBlue. But to me the biggest thing is the effort. We don't need more players who's effort is questioned. I would rather take the player that might struggle with the system but give me his full effort then the one that might fit it better but who's effort is questioned

Brad Boyes.

Per David Pagnotta@TheFourthPeriod

NAS deal Lindback, F Kyle Wilson & a '12 7th RD pick to TB for 2 '12 2nd RD picks (37th/50th overall), a '13 3rd RD pick & G Sebastien Caron

Nashville loads up on picks, which they need (see Goose trade) and Tampa gets their #1 goaltender. I like Lindback a lot. He can play.

Per David Pagnotta@TheFourthPeriod

NAS deal Lindback, F Kyle Wilson & a '12 7th RD pick to TB for 2 '12 2nd RD picks (37th/50th overall), a '13 3rd RD pick & G Sebastien Caron

Nashville loads up on picks, which they need (see Goose trade) and Tampa gets their #1 goaltender. I like Lindback a lot. He can play.

Tampa will add someone else in net. Lindback is 24 and has only 38 NHL games on his record. They're not going to pin their hopes to someone with that little experience.

Tampa will add someone else in net. Lindback is 24 and has only 38 NHL games on his record. They're not going to pin their hopes to someone with that little experience.

Agreed.

The trade was pricey for them in terms of future's, but they are aggressively addressing some of their issues early on this June.

I disagree. I like what Lindback has shown in the past. I bet there's a good chance he's their starter this fall.

Fixed it for you. :thumbsup:

Could we really get 2 second round picks this year and a third next year, PLUS a journeymen backup goaltender for Miller?

Wow, How could Darcy screw up getting such an amazing deal, this could be the last straw for him :doh: :wallbash:

Yzerman had said he would be looking for his goaltender via trade or RFA. It took us less time to determine that Enroth was the second coming in net and would allow us to deal away Miller, so 38 games for Lindback should be enough to prove hes a HOFer

going back again, huh? wow, figured he might actually stick around :doh:

Apparently one of the KHL clubs is prepared to make him the highest paid hockey player in the world. If I could live in my native country and play the game I wanted to play (wide-open, no back-checking, etc.) and get paid $10 million per year...I'd be all over it too.

Apparently one of the KHL clubs is prepared to make him the highest paid hockey player in the world. If I could live in my native country and play the game I wanted to play (wide-open, no back-checking, etc.) and get paid $10 million per year...I'd be all over it too.

A very small detail that I overlooked :P

So this is what we could expect for Enroth eh?

Surprised nobody has mentioned Hasek in this.

Hasek said he would return to Buffalo, Tampa or Detroit.

This makes it a tad less likely for Tampa.

Why not take a whirl at Dom/Enroth for a year or two if you can get 2 top 6 forwards for Miller? Even if Dom flops.....how much worse can the results be from the past 5 years by hitching the cart to Enroth?

Why not take a whirl at Dom/Enroth for a year or two if you can get 2 top 6 forwards for Miller? Even if Dom flops.....how much worse can the results be from the past 5 years by hitching the cart to Enroth?

In the last 20 seasons, only four goaltenders under 6 foot have won the Cup. Brodeur (3), Osgood (4), and Richter (1), Thomas (1). However, they do make up 9 of the last 20 Cups.

The trend in this league is towards larger goaltenders, anyone over 6 foot.

Enroth is 5'10".

I guess the question is, can Enroth be the next Brodeur, Osgood, Thomas or Richter?

If you answered no, then having Enroth as this team's starter is a terrible idea.

Have you watched Steve Mason attempt to stop a puck recently? Chicago has the talent to win the Cup, but can't get out of the first round because Crawford stinks. Of the bottom 10 teams in the league, only 3 have a legitimate starter (Anaheim, Montreal, Carolina). Having a legit starter certainly doesn't guarantee a long playoff run, but not having one almost certainly dooms your team to failure.

I'm not against dealing Miller for the right package (and two legitimate top-6 players would have to be enticing, although I don't think we'd get that return), but I'm wholeheartedly against the plan in net being "see what Enroth can do over 60 games!" If I'm to be convinced trading Miller is the right move at this time, I need a significantly more stable option in net to replace him.

Archived