Around the NHL 2011-2012

spndnchz

All I know is that he didn't impress anyone in Washington, which this trade reinforces. I truly think Florida's system did help his numbers and he couldn't come in and be the man in Washington's loose offensive system.

I think they just wanted to get something for him while they could; he was a pending free agent. I thought I remember reading he had issues with the front office, didn't hear much more about it.

That never made any sense to me either. When are teams allowed to make trades? I mean the trade deadline wasn't that long ago, at what date is that lifted? I would seem to think moves wouldn't be allowed until after the playoffs.

Teams can make trades as soon as their season has ended.

Yeah, but everyone here can agree that Miller had a pretty horrible year himself, so comparing those two really says nothing.

I can't. That's a pretty average year for Miller. Pretty close to his career averages really. Nearly exactly average for his career.

Are you sure? I thought that the trade freeze lasted until a day or two after the finals are over, but that players' right could be traded before then.

No, I guess I am not sure. My memory sez it is that way but I can't say I know for sure.

Boston made a trade last week but for the life of me I can't remember who it was and I'm just too damn lazy to look it up while I watch L.A. take a 3-0 lead in game 3 and potentially a 3-0 lead in the series. Can you say done like dinner ?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397660

The Montreal Canadiens are expected to name Michel Therrien as the team's next head coach, with an announcement coming in the next 24 to 48 hours.

-so says TSN

also interesting number on Coyotes Ownership Arrangement

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397652

Details of a tentative US$170-million deal to sell the Phoenix Coyotes to prospective owner Greg Jamison include a 20-year lease that will pay Jamison's group an average of $15 million a season to manage Jobing.com arena.

-so much for Patrick Roy in Montreal . And my goodness does it ever pay to have friends.......

Therien now officially named the Habs coach

How often do you see a team recycle a fired coach like that? This whole "he has to be french thing" may have gone a bit too far here.

Not very often we see a recycled coach ... especially in Montreal.

It was me that was the only one that really went with the French Canadien and Roy binge ... I apologize for that. That said, I am somewhat surprised at the move to Therrien (who is a Quebecois from Montreal). Really thought it would have been Roy.

Paul Hamilton@pham1717

Former Sabre Dominic Moore's wife fighting a rare liver cancer.

Calgary Flames@NHLFlames

Jacques Cloutier has been named the #Flames associate coach. Details here ~

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=633900

CALGARY, AB -- The Calgary Flames announced today that they have named Jacques Cloutier as associate coach. Cloutier joins the Flames coaching staff following a championship season alongside Bob Hartley with the ZSC Lions of Switzerland’s National League A.

Cloutier was selected in the 3rd round of the 1979 NHL Entry Draft by the Buffalo Sabres with the 55th pick overall where he played up until the end of the 1988-89 season. He spent the 1989-90 season and part of the 1990-91 season with the Chicago Blackhawks before finishing his goaltending career after four years with the Quebec Nordiques.

Paul Hamilton@pham1717

Former Sabre Dominic Moore's wife fighting a rare liver cancer.

Yikes... here's hoping she can beat it.

also interesting number on Coyotes Ownership Arrangement

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397652

Details of a tentative US$170-million deal to sell the Phoenix Coyotes to prospective owner Greg Jamison include a 20-year lease that will pay Jamison's group an average of $15 million a season to manage Jobing.com arena.

I wonder why the extra provision for a name change? Arizona Coyotes sounds odd.

Yikes... here's hoping she can beat it.

I wonder why the extra provision for a name change? Arizona Coyotes sounds odd.

Don't pretend to know , but a good guess is that '"Arizona Coyotes" simply a more inclusive name,

Not picking on anyone but went throught the first 10 pgs of the the thread. Most notables:

Devils are still committed to mind-numbing, boring, lets kill the game of hockey approach to filling the building.....they hire DeBoer

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=372047

DeBoer - the most Dickensian name in Hockey.

I'm putting the over/under on his tenure at 54 games.

I'll take 41. :rolleyes:

Huh

I think this is lost on many folks. The Devils will be a much better team with him. He is a clutch player and you just can't have enough of those.

Parise

I have to agree. Nolan is so far past his prime. He could help them in certain situations but it smacks of being a little desperate on the part of Mike Gillis and maybe he's starting to worry about replacing the parts he's lost this summer.IMO that team has taken a step back this off season.

10th place for Nolan and Latvia.

Does Andre Kostitsyn want out of Mooontreeal?

It really has become quite rare for players to criticize coaches.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=373617

yes. he also wants to go party with Radulov.

Myers is going to cost you more than that. 5 mil a year is minimum.

7 years 5.5 cap hit

Two deaths in one offseason. What a bad year for the NHL.

These did suck last year.

Not sure if this was posted.

http://thehockeywrit...ns-for-2011-12/

Buffalo Sabres: Five Bold Predictions for 2011-12

"With the additions the Sabres made, I don’t think it’s too farfetched to say Miller could very easily put up career numbers this season. 2011/12 Fearless Forecast: 40 wins 2.15 GAA .931 SV%"

"Nathan Gerbe will crack the 20-goal marker."

"Christian Ehrhoff won’t lead Sabres defensemen in points."

Luke Adam will play an essential role for the Sabres...

When it’s all said and done, Adam could wind up being one of the unsung heroes of this hockey season. 2011/12 Fearless Forecast: 13 goals 19 assists 32 points +11"

etc...

1 out of 5

"If Ennis has an equal, or better, season in 2011-12, he’ll likely command more than whatever the Bruins pay Marchand, the Globe reports."

Only if he also is "a catalyst in the ... playoff run"

Marchand gets 2.5 million.

Bruins' GM today on Savard:

"Based on what I see, what I hear, what I read, and what I'm told, it's very unlikely Marc will play again," Chiarelli said. "Now, knowing the uncertainty of this injury, there's always a chance [he could play]. But based on what I'm told, it's very unlikely he'll play. As an employer, I support him and hope he gets back to living a healthy life."

Story of the year...concussions.

(On Connolly) Yes, he should have been held out forever.

As to your second question, the likely answer is yes. An alternative explanation is that he finally found Pat Quinn's secret stash of booze.

On another topic, I find this link to be an interesting one...it's a fantasy report of players they wouldn't touch with a 10ft. pole. Funny thing is they have Jordan Leopold on it, saying:

Jordan Leopold – Defense – Buffalo

Leopold had his best NHL season last year with Buffalo, but he still only scored 35 points. This year he will have a much harder time replicating that success with the budding Marc-Andre Gragnani in the lineup. Gragnani is a much more lethal offensive weapon and should emerge as one of Buffalo’s top scoring defensemen in 2011-12.

Also there are a couple disgruntled top draft picks from 2008 that should be traded this year and make a significant impact this year with their new teams:

Interesting RFA’s still unsigned: Zach Bogosian and Josh Bailey. Both are solid up-and-coming players who don’t seem to fit into their current teams’ future plans. I expect both to be traded this year and make impacts fairly quickly in their new homes. A change of scenery will only rejuvenate the disgruntled skaters. Both are top 10 picks from the 2008 draft with plenty left to prove.

http://www.dobberhoc...elli&Itemid=101

:rolleyes:

So some jackass threw a banana at Wayne Simmonds: http://aol.sportingn...during-shootout

This is disgusting. There are other reasons to hate Wayne Simmonds (he's a Phlyer, FFS!); do we really need to bring race into this?

And I'll note this, too: I think every one of the hockey rink banana-throwing incidents with which I'm familiar have happened in Canada.

“@mirtle: Tim Connolly is day-to-day with an upper body injury. Wilson said he wants to get Lombardi and Brown into a game this weekend.”

laugh.gif

Doughty has what an extra year in the leauge than Myers? I thought he would be a good comparable in terms of what Myers is worth in the open market. Looks like our cap hit is quite a bit better than Drew but I'm not sure how this deal is structured. I'm sure giving Myers a ton of money up front helped keep the total dollar value lower. I know 8 years is a long time and our ownership will hopefully be smart enough to keep Myers here for life (if he progressing like we think he will) but that would be an interesting summer in the NHL eight years from now because Myers and Doughty's contract's expire at the same time and both should still be in their prime at that point in time.

Bit of a story there. Dolan, who owns MSG, is looking to maximize revenue in the newly refurbished MSG. They don't mind and actually asked to have the Europe games be away so that they can have the full 41 home games at MSG. Now the LA Kings company, AEG, owns both the Arena in Stockholm and the Arena in Berlin where they will be playing their home games. It's a win-win in the corporate world.

through pg 25.

Archived