Around the NHL 2011-2012

spndnchz

His dad says he would love to go to the Rangers

The Rangers will have the cap space if they want him.

That's also because a lot of bruin fans think this gives them extra money to go after someone like Parise. Unfortunately for them, Thomas pulling this stunt will leave a bunch of dead money on their cap.

My first thought when I read this is that Thomas is giving the Bruins a big middle finger because of that White House situation that came up.

His dad says he would love to go to the Rangers

Good for his dad?

It just seems silly to me that the Parise would want to go anywhere else. He's NJs captain and has a lot of years ahead of him. He should be a pillar of NJs presumable upcoming rebuild.

If he leaves Jersey then he must seriously hate it there, or think that after this run it'll be 5-7 years of mediocrity.

The Rangers will have the cap space if they want him.

My first thought when I read this is that Thomas is giving the Bruins a big middle finger because of that White House situation that came up.

I don't know what to make of Thomas....last year of contract? Looking to go politics? Just tired?

As for Parise and the Rangers....his dad had to backtrack from all the talk, but the original sounded like he had a pretty good inkling that's where he is looking.

Guess what one of the reasons was? He loved working with Torts so much in the olympics and loves his style.

That gets me to thinking.......when Lindy Ruff turned down the Team Canada coaching job this spring, did he not also turn down a chance to showcase himself and Hockey heaven to 25 potential, talented free agents down the road? You get a full month with other teams' very good players and get to know them....who would be good character to come to Buffalo...you'd get to learn some of the strengths of other players and how you can defend against them or beat them in an NHL game.....it really seems like that was a huge missed opportunity by Ruff. I figured he was just dodging pressure of being the favorite and being in a no win position after a horrible couple seasons. I didn't even think of all the other ramifications of not wanting to coach.

Good for his dad?

It just seems silly to me that the Parise would want to go anywhere else. He's NJs captain and has a lot of years ahead of him. He should be a pillar of NJs presumable upcoming rebuild.

If he leaves Jersey then he must seriously hate it there, or think that after this run it'll be 5-7 years of mediocrity.

He won't have to move, he'd probably get more money, and with so many free agents like you said....who knows what that team will look like.

His dad admitted he has a big mouth and had to backtrack, but it sounds like he is thinking hard about the Rangers.

I don't know what to make of Thomas....last year of contract? Looking to go politics? Just tired?

As for Parise and the Rangers....his dad had to backtrack from all the talk, but the original sounded like he had a pretty good inkling that's where he is looking.

Guess what one of the reasons was? He loved working with Torts so much in the olympics and loves his style.

That gets me to thinking.......when Lindy Ruff turned down the Team Canada coaching job this spring, did he not also turn down a chance to showcase himself and Hockey heaven to 25 potential, talented free agents down the road? You get a full month with other teams' very good players and get to know them....who would be good character to come to Buffalo...you'd get to learn some of the strengths of other players and how you can defend against them or beat them in an NHL game.....it really seems like that was a huge missed opportunity by Ruff. I figured he was just dodging pressure of being the favorite and being in a no win position after a horrible couple seasons. I didn't even think of all the other ramifications of not wanting to coach.

He won't have to move, he'd probably get more money, and with so many free agents like you said....who knows what that team will look like.

His dad admitted he has a big mouth and had to backtrack, but it sounds like he is thinking hard about the Rangers.

What a shock, instead of looking at the offer as a sign of respect, you choose to look at him turning it down as something negative.

Not really ...

While he does speak french very well, he is from Upper Canada.

suppose it a moot point but Hartley in every way a French Canadian, not Quebec French Canadian as he born Hawksbury , Ontario, which in right on the Quebec Ontario border. Anyone listening to the man speak would hear a very distinct French accent, as his first language is French.

It was very much a surprise to hockey people that if he did have truly the choice between teams given the current rosters and portended futures Montreal with a few tweaks and good drafts in playoff mix in near future, where Calgary impatient at best appear to be one with older players at rebuild stage. Unless Hartley has got some nice contract options in terms of having say in player personal and a degree of security , it very much a surprise he chose Calgary. It was said his European team did not want to allow him out of contract, it very possible Calgary was able to make an agreement that Montreal was either not able to or did not wish to pay for.

What a shock, instead of looking at the offer as a sign of respect, you choose to look at him turning it down as something negative.

Oh..it's a sign of respect.....which he turned down.

Really though, I figured he was burnt out at best, and wanted to avoid further possible disaster.

Hey....look at what I just referenced. The biggest name in free agency is leaning towards a team because of the time he spent with their coach in the same type of setting. Would just the chance of that alone not be worth coaching for?

A bigger question is, how much credibility does Lamoriello lose if his Captain and fan favorite just walks away?

The Devil's have no goaltending in the pipeline and relies on a near-retirement Brodeur. Half the team is going to free agency, a boatload of money is tied up in Kovalchuk. If Parise walks and Brodeur retires, do the Devils become a laughing stalk?

A bigger question is, how much credibility does Lamoriello lose if his Captain and fan favorite just walks away?

The Devil's have no goaltending in the pipeline and relies on a near-retirement Brodeur. Half the team is going to free agency, a boatload of money is tied up in Kovalchuk. If Parise walks and Brodeur retires, do the Devils become a laughing stalk?

I don't really know. If you substitute Regier/Drury+Briere/Vanek for Lamoriello/Parise/Kovy.....then they probably sell out the next 5 years.

It's NJ though.

Parise/Callahan/Richards that's a pretty sweet Apple Pie trio of leaders

I don't really know. If you substitute Regier/Drury+Briere/Vanek for Lamoriello/Parise/Kovy.....then they probably sell out the next 5 years.

It's NJ though.

Parise/Callahan/Richards that's a pretty sweet Apple Pie trio of leaders

Parise/Callahan/Richards is downright frightening.

not to be argumentative but taking a look at what Lou Lamoriello has accomplished over his career I would think that most teams would kill to have him managing their teams. Lamoriello has over his career, built and rebuilt the Devils, last season being a classic example of them not being in playoffs this year in Cup final. If anyone deserves trust based on what he has accomplished it is he. At present its my opinion Lamoriello the very best of all team general managers. Most unfortunate he managing Devils and not a team another team we might be rooting for.

not to be argumentative but taking a look at what Lou Lamoriello has accomplished over his career I would think that most teams would kill to have him managing their teams. Lamoriello has over his career, built and rebuilt the Devils, last season being a classic example of them not being in playoffs this year in Cup final. If anyone deserves trust based on what he has accomplished it is he. At present its my opinion Lamoriello the very best of all team general managers. Most unfortunate he managing Devils and not a team another team we might be rooting for.

I always find it laughable whenever someone downplays Lamoriello or Brodeur. Especially when it's a Ranger fan.

I don't think the prospect of losing all of his goaltending and his team captain is very funny.

What's not funny is Lou Lamoriello with 28 million of Cap Space. I can easily see Brodeur coming back for one more year and Ryan Suter ending up a Devil.

I can also see a deal for Radulov being made. Seeing how Kovalchuk has thrived with the Devils, the Devils may just be what Radulov needs.

I think that it probably had something to do with Leopold breaking a few of his ribs a month or two before they offered it to him. Old guy, rough season, personal injury. I can't really blame Ruff for turning the job down. I also think that coaching the Internationals is a different beast than coaching the olympics. I don't know how much of a report any coach can build with players during a tournament that North Americans don't really care about.

He's under contract. I hope the team doesn't have to pay his salary. If he takes a year off and doesn't officially retire the team should be able to retain his rights, he shouldn't have to be paid and the salary shouldn't be held against their cap.

He's under contract. I hope the team doesn't have to pay his salary. If he takes a year off and doesn't officially retire the team should be able to retain his rights, he shouldn't have to be paid and the salary shouldn't be held against their cap.

If it didn't count against the cap, what would stop teams and players from secretly arranging something like this instead of retiring? Personally, this whole thing seems really fishy to me and I wouldn't put it past them to be trying to pull something. Either way, Thomas has become quite the enigma this year.

If it didn't count against the cap, what would stop teams and players from secretly arranging something like this instead of retiring? Personally, this whole thing seems really fishy to me and I wouldn't put it past them to be trying to pull something. Either way, Thomas has become quite the enigma this year.

If it's somebody with a big enough salary where it would become an issue, it's probably going to be a bigger name player. I don't think any player would be willing to just sit out a season to help a team with their cap space. But there would have to be stipulations such as if a player decides to sit out he is not allowed to come back at any time during the season. I never really thought about any specific details I just don't think he should be earning a paycheck if doesn't fulfill his contract obligations. I don't think any of us would get paid if we decided to just take time off. But yeah I can see where the possiblity of abusing the rule might come up and this whole thing does seem kinda fishy.

If it's somebody with a big enough salary where it would become an issue, it's probably going to be a bigger name player. I don't think any player would be willing to just sit out a season to help a team with their cap space. But there would have to be stipulations such as if a player decides to sit out he is not allowed to come back at any time during the season. I never really thought about any specific details I just don't think he should be earning a paycheck if doesn't fulfill his contract obligations. I don't think any of us would get paid if we decided to just take time off. But yeah I can see where the possiblity of abusing the rule might come up and this whole thing does seem kinda fishy.

It will count against the cap; only way to stop Kovalchuk sitting out the last few seasons of his contract ;)

It does seem weird - but i can't see any gain from it.

The Bruins have the option of releasing his rights next year, or asking him to complete the last season of the contract.

Thomas is a weird one.

It's not about sitting out one year to save the team cap space. That's not the angle I'm talking about here. What I'm suggesting is that a player who intends to retire could instead do something like what Thomas is doing. If that actually did take the money off the cap, you'd have an escape clause for every one of these players who signed a contract over the age of 35. The rule is in place for a very good reason. To let Boston off the hook on this one would eliminate that rule completely and open up a huge ugly loop hole. Boston knew the risks they were taking when they signed that contract and now they're going to be stung by it (something I'm sure they won't mind 5 or so years from know when they look back).

38, Kovalchuk's deal is different. They tweaked the rules a bit thanks to his deal, but his money will come off the books when he retires since he was younger than 35 when signing the deal.

From Boston.com:

If the Bruins can’t move Thomas, they will designate the goalie a suspended player next season. Thomas will not collect his salary, but the Bruins will be responsible for his $5 million cap hit. Thomas has the third-highest cap hit on the team, and it would be a considerable amount of cap space applied to a non-roster player.

I wonder if they could waive him to Providence and avoid the cap hit? Bruins already have the 3 highest cap # for next season, and they'll have to sign 1 or 2 goalies and at least 1 more forward to put them at roster minimums. Then if they want to keep around an extra forward or defenseman...

Archived