Around the NHL 2011-2012

spndnchz

Interesting reaction from WaPo columnist Boswell.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/post/boswell-dale-hunter-stepping-down-seems-out-of-character/2012/05/14/gIQApmS4OU_blog.html

Suggests that part of the decision was Hunter's comfort zone in London, Ont. Also raises the prospect that there "are still a few Caps that Hunter just doesn't want to have to live with every day of his life." That comment points to Ovi.

Hunter steps down as interim HC in Washington

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=395920

Cue the band with the "Fire Lindy and bring in Hunter" replies

I don't think that's necessary. The guy obviously does not want to coach, and if he did, I'm sure he would rather coach the team he just led to within a goal of the ECF than the Buffalo Sabres.

Interesting reaction from WaPo columnist Boswell.

http://www.washingto...mS4OU_blog.html

Suggests that part of the decision was Hunter's comfort zone in London, Ont. Also raises the prospect that there "are still a few Caps that Hunter just doesn't want to have to live with every day of his life." That comment points to Ovi.

According to the revised TSN article, he just wants to go back with his family to London and stay there. But of course there will always be those that think he was driven away becaue of Ovi........................

I really don't see the big deal in all this. Hunter did an OK job.. they went 30-23-7 and barely snuck into the playoffs. He has gotten so much praise for "limiting Ovechkin's minutes," but I saw no indications that Ovechkin was causing any problems over it -- he accepted it and performed admirably for the most part. Now Hunter steps down and it just has to be Ovechkin's fault? Even though he did more than he's ever been asked to do before by blocking shots, playing a two-way game, and spending more time on the bench during critical situations? I don't see how OV is to blame for this.

Furthermore, I believe the playoffs are a crap shoot, and that was/is doubly true this year as we saw teams like the Capitals, Panthers, & Senators make waves in the East, and now have teams like the Kings & Coyotes still alive in the West. There were plenty of unexpected surprises. And while I'm sure Hunter's system did play some role in the Capitals success, how much of it was really his coaching, and how much of it was just the Capitals being the Capitals and accidently winning a series? If we're talking the Kings who snagged 8th place and then rolled through the first two rounds, then sure, obviously their coaching staff is doing something right. But the Capitals won a seven-game series and lost a seven-game series. They finished .500, just like they did in the regular season under Dale Hunter. He is not some kind of god send.

Just heard that Dale Hunter won't be behind the bench for the Caps next season. Not much detail yet, but it sounds like he wants to go back to London, Ont.

I don't think that's necessary. The guy obviously does not want to coach, and if he did, I'm sure he would rather coach the team he just led to within a goal of the ECF than the Buffalo Sabres.

I really don't see the big deal in all this. Hunter did an OK job.. they went 30-23-7 and barely snuck into the playoffs. He has gotten so much praise for "limiting Ovechkin's minutes," but I saw no indications that Ovechkin was causing any problems over it -- he accepted it and performed admirably for the most part. Now Hunter steps down and it just has to be Ovechkin's fault? Even though he did more than he's ever been asked to do before by blocking shots, playing a two-way game, and spending more time on the bench during critical situations? I don't see how OV is to blame for this.

Furthermore, I believe the playoffs are a crap shoot, and that was/is doubly true this year as we saw teams like the Capitals, Panthers, & Senators make waves in the East, and now have teams like the Kings & Coyotes still alive in the West. There were plenty of unexpected surprises. And while I'm sure Hunter's system did play some role in the Capitals success, how much of it was really his coaching, and how much of it was just the Capitals being the Capitals and accidently winning a series? If we're talking the Kings who snagged 8th place and then rolled through the first two rounds, then sure, obviously their coaching staff is doing something right. But the Capitals won a seven-game series and lost a seven-game series. They finished .500, just like they did in the regular season under Dale Hunter. He is not some kind of god send.

don't share this opinion at all. Very much Washington's loss . |It speaks well for Hunter he has chosen family and the building of young players and family business or his own of being a coaching pinnacle of NHL. Hunter is one Buffalo fans in my opinion would love and be most fortunate to have.

As far as being a God send, he and family most certainly are in London, both as owners of franchise and people within the community.

Since they have been in London, franchise has been nothing but excellence. on all levels. Hunter now will re join family at Memorial Cup. Good for he.,

al liittle more on he and decision\

http://www.lfpress.c...4/19756421.html

I think Hunter did a good job with the Caps...but I don't think he was a good fit for them long-term. Hunter would be a really nice fit on a team without much offensive talent that needed to find a way to squeeze as many wins as possible out of a relatively weak roster. I just don't think you can pay Ovechkin $9.5 million and Backstrom $6.7 million (which I think is actually a steal of a contract for the Caps) for the next 8 years to play 15 minutes in an offense-stifling system. And before anybody claims it was working....it really depends on what you define as working, since the team got exactly as far as they did playing fire-wagon hockey.

According to the revised TSN article, he just wants to go back with his family to London and stay there. But of course there will always be those that think he was driven away becaue of Ovi........................

I can't imagine Hunter giving a crap about dealing with Ovi. I just don't think that's his makeup.

I'm pretty sure it was because he owns the London Knights.

I just have another question to add on top of that, who gets the pick they lose?

No-one. It is punishment for cap circumvention with the whole Ilya signing. They lost a 3rd that year, a first between now and 2014 i think? and £3 million dollar fine.

So pick 30 is a 2nd round pick

Does anyone know if/when the Devils can chose to lose their 1st round pick? As this year would probably be the best one!

You're right that it's 2011-14, their choice, for the 1st rounder. It's hard to imagine that they wouldn't choose this year, as they will pick no earlier than 28th (if they were to lose in this round, they would have had a better regular season record than the WCF loser, so they would pick before only they SCF loser and the SC champions.)

So, it looks like the Sabres will have the #12, #22* #21, #41, and #43 overall picks.

* I've seen some sources show them at #21 with Florida picking several places after them, but I'd be surprised if the division win ranking (putting Florida in the #3 in the East slot and Nashville the #4 in the West slot) actually plays a role. Nashville had a far better regular season record than Florida.

Edit: it seems that the division winners losing in the first two rounds do, in fact, come after all other losers in the first two rounds. So, the Sabres do get #21.

Torres had his hearing with Bettman today. No word on the appeal.

I wish it was possible for the hearing to go something like this:

"You want to appeal your suspension? Upon further review, I have decided to give you 50 games."

Archived