Will the Sabres sign Brad Richards?

nfreeman

Now do you believe?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Well, it worked yesterday with Ehrhoff, so here we go again! Will the Sabres sign Brad Richards, the runaway star of this year's UFA class?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If the Sabres do sign him, when will it happen?

• Today (July 1)
    • Tomorrow (July 2)
    • After July 2
    • Will not sign him
  3. 3. Richards just turned 31. He has played 10 full NHL seasons. He's won the Cup, the Conn Smythe, the Lady Byng and has 62 pts in 63 playoff games. If you were DR/TP/TB, what is the maximum you would pay for him?

• $6MM x 5 years
    • $7MM x 6 years
    • $7MM x 7 years
    • $8MM x 7 years
    • More than $8MM x 7 years

I'm in for the same as nfreeman. A few days ago I had my doubts as to whether the Sabres would even try to land Richards. Now there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that they will pursue him hard. The only question is whether the Pegula team can work it's Buffalo selling magic one more time.

Unfortunately, I agree with this. I think he'll end up in Manhattan. But, it sure is nice to be relevant in free agency this year!

if he lands in manhattan lets use that to our advantage and pry Dubinsky out of manhattan

Just think, in probably a half dozen other cities, fans are having the exact same convo. There are several teams that have made Richards their number one priority. Only one will land him. I think the Sabres' chances are as good as anyone else's but I don't want to get my hopes up. The worst case scenario I see is not being able to land Richards, nor being able to accomplish a trade for another top center, and giving Capt. Clutch Drury a 1-year deal to bridge the Sabres over to the next FA season which should have more to go around.

The one thing that makes me optimistic is that Pegula's vision of making the Sabres a marquis franchise that players want to go to has been given a feeling of concreteness with the signing of Erhoff and Rehger (yes, I need to learn to spell their names). For all the speculation by the sports pundits, their views were probably set prior to that activity. Only Richards knows whether or not the Sabres made the proper impression with them. It gives the Sabres obvious momentum, though, as portraying the team as the up-and-coming place to be. Even if Richards goes elsewhere, the recent acquisitions send the message to other players that might consider Buffalo that this is where they want to be.

The wait is going to be painful because you know nothing will be decided until tonight at the earliest. If he does not choose Buffalo, I certainly hope that it will be one phone call by Regier to target their #2 option via trade.....

There has to be contingency plans in place.

I don't know why but I'm getting uncomfortable with the level of insanity surrounding BR. You'd think he's Super Mario reincarnated.

I'll be thrilled if we land him, but I think the Sabres will manage to put a good team out on the ice this year without him. So far, Darcy is exceeding expectations since he's had T-Peg's checkbook to work with.

Good isn't good enough for TPegs. Go big or go home!

Yes he does sign with us. And he signs today at 6:02 edst via fax.

I don't care how much he signs for. He fills so many holes on the team and it's not my money.

Good isn't good enough for TPegs. Go big or go home!

That was an understated "good".

But really, I'm not sure T-Peg and D-Reg (kinda rhymes?) can keep hitting 'em outta the park like they have so far, so I would rather go with understated... until we sign Richards.

Archived