Will the Sabres sign Brad Richards?

nfreeman

Now do you believe?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Well, it worked yesterday with Ehrhoff, so here we go again! Will the Sabres sign Brad Richards, the runaway star of this year's UFA class?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If the Sabres do sign him, when will it happen?

• Today (July 1)
    • Tomorrow (July 2)
    • After July 2
    • Will not sign him
  3. 3. Richards just turned 31. He has played 10 full NHL seasons. He's won the Cup, the Conn Smythe, the Lady Byng and has 62 pts in 63 playoff games. If you were DR/TP/TB, what is the maximum you would pay for him?

• $6MM x 5 years
    • $7MM x 6 years
    • $7MM x 7 years
    • $8MM x 7 years
    • More than $8MM x 7 years

Do we really want Brad Richards on our books for 8-9 years?

Hence the front loaded deal. He has little incentive to keep playing if he is only going to make 1 or 2 million a year, and its also cheap to buy out if we no longer want him around. The length is to bring down the cap hit.

An 8 or 9 year deal is the price of admission - You have to pay to play.

Hence the front loaded deal. He has little incentive to keep playing if he is only going to make 1 or 2 million a year, and its also cheap to buy out if we no longer want him around. The length is to bring down the cap hit.

An 8 or 9 year deal is the price of admission - You have to pay to play.

True, but is he REALLY the guy to take us to the promised land?

And yes front loaded deals I get that, but still even with a buyout part of the cap hit stays and its stretched out longer.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, I have always like Richards, but do we want him for that price?

I just don't understand how we could make the cap space for Richards. We only have around 5.7 mil left to throw around AND we need to resign at least two of the three: Grags, Weber, Sekera. We also haven't locked up Enroth. I assume there is something I don't know that makes everyone think we will sign Richards. Could someone set me straight?

I just don't understand how we could make the cap space for Richards. We only have around 5.7 mil left to throw around AND we need to resign at least two of the three: Grags, Weber, Sekera. We also haven't locked up Enroth. I assume there is something I don't know that makes everyone think we will sign Richards. Could someone set me straight?

You're allowed to go over the cap by 10% (6 millionish). So we have close to 12 million. Just have to get back under over the summer. Trades and/or sending guys to AHL.

You're allowed to go over the cap by 10% (6 millionish). So we have close to 12 million. Just have to get back under over the summer. Trades and/or sending guys to AHL.

Ah okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

OT: Pegula COULD do it... I don't really know though. I'd love to see Richards in blue and gold, but it's really up to how he perceives Buffalo.

True, but is he REALLY the guy to take us to the promised land?

And yes front loaded deals I get that, but still even with a buyout part of the cap hit stays and its stretched out longer.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, I have always like Richards, but do we want him for that price?

He's the only free agent available this year or next who can be called a first line center. Obtaining a first line center via trade will involve moving significant assets. All BR costs is money. Pegula's not worried about money.

LOL Dregger reporting that Leafs are waiting for a call on time to meet with Richards. With Pegs there, bet he won't leave till Richards signs, the Leafs will still be waiting.

Burkes gonna blow a gasket. He's already been complaining about front end loading contracts and cap circumvention. It takes away the leafs advantage over small markets when they have an owner like Pegs.

Considering that we just signed Ehrhoff, maybe the Sabres move Leopold and his 3M dollar contract to fit Richards in?

Considering that we just signed Ehrhoff, maybe the Sabres move Leopold and his 3M dollar contract to fit Richards in?

Darcy builds G, D, C, then W. I don't see them pulling 1 of the top 4 D out to make room for Richards, and I don't see them needing to either.

If they work the cap hit to be around $6.5M or so they should have enough room without moving anyone other than Kotalik & Morrisonn on waivers.

He's the only free agent available this year or next who can be called a first line center. Obtaining a first line center via trade will involve moving significant assets. All BR costs is money. Pegula's not worried about money.

I don't mind moving assets to get a better fit that we won't have to overpay for. I mean, I'll be pretty happy if we land him and will continue to drink the Peugl-Aid, but he's not the only guy that's out there and I'm willing to move pieces to get a Stastny/Spezza/Kopitar/Zajac who is younger and has a fantastic skillset. And maybe part of that is defending myself against him not getting signed, but... I don't know. The idea of "The Sabres signing Brad Richards, and what it means," has much more allure than the idea of "Brad Richards, Sabres Center."

Burkes gonna blow a gasket. He's already been complaining about front end loading contracts and cap circumvention. It takes away the leafs advantage over small markets when they have an owner like Pegs.

Not a lot of 'small market' teams have a guy like Mr. Pegula. Burke's horse to beat into the ground is offer sheets, but he lost the high ground there when he threatened to offer on Kessel to force the trade.

But, yeah. I don't think they'll do it and I don't care one way or the other. If they get him, great, if they don't, possibly better. I have faith in Darcy, Ted Black and Mr. Pegula.

I love how we still don't even get a slot in the Richards poll on TSN. It's Rangers, Leafs, Lightning, Kings, Canadiens, and Elsewhere.

All the "experts" don't yet know the persuasive ways of our staff and deep pockets of our beloved owner.

That gives us more of an edge anyway…. Gotta love it… because we DO know about our little known advantages.

I love how former players help persuade perspective signings that this is the new place to be.

GO SABRES!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived