Sylvester/Gare are the away announcers

sullim4

Out of the options they were considering that's probably the best case scenario.

Not a huge fan of Sylvester's work behind the desk, but thought he did a good job filling in for RJ in the past and better than RJ's kid did.

I'm gonna have to agree with you. i was really hoping RJ's kid would be more impressive, but he really didn't do it for me. Sylvester wasn't great, but he wasn't horrible either.

Love Gare, but I do not like the choice of Sylvester...at all. He is not a good PbP guy and I bet he will get on everyones' nerves faster than you will expect. Would have much preferred Hamilton.

Thought Sylvester did a great job last year. Much better than the other candidates, as I assume is the general consensus since he got the gig. :blink: Satisfied with the choice and I hope this helps RJ extend his career a few more years so he can call a cup winning goal for Buffalo.

Whoever fills is always going to have big shoes to fill with Ted Darling and RJ having their legacies. Although, not my first choice, they could have done worse. Much worse. I'm ok with it. Listening to alot of other teams PBP guys, he's not bad. He may get better as time goes on. As for Danny Gare, I've been hoping they would bring him back. Think he got shafted when they let him go last time.

Whoever fills is always going to have big shoes to fill with Ted Darling and RJ having their legacies. Although, not my first choice, they could have done worse. Much worse. I'm ok with it. Listening to alot of other teams PBP guys, he's not bad. He may get better as time goes on. As for Danny Gare, I've been hoping they would bring him back. Think he got shafted when they let him go last time.

Worse than Shafted, he ended up in Columbus. No word yet as to whether he got paid in tattoos..

I didn't mind Kev doing the play by play. Obviously it's a far cry from RJ, but his legacy will be nearly impossible to live up to. Kevin is different, but he's not bad at all.

And I'll take Danny Gare over harry Neal any day of the week.

This.

I thought Sylvester was better than most people thought. He's no Doc Emrick or RJ, but he works. I'm also happy with Gare - I was really hoping we'd seen/heard the last of Harry Neale, but if we get Danny half the time, I can live with it.

This.

I thought Sylvester was better than most people thought. He's no Doc Emrick or RJ, but he works. I'm also happy with Gare - I was really hoping we'd seen/heard the last of Harry Neale, but if we get Danny half the time, I can live with it.

Aside from the quality of the broadcast team...taking care of Danny Gare is just good business. He's got countless contacts throughout the league.

You guys don't like Neale? I do...I love his dry wit ("It looks like Crabb is pinching on that play.") which seems totally lost on RJ, who never responds. Plus Neale seems to get along with Rob Ray better than RJ on the air. BTW Ray is very good as an on-ice commentator. I always enjoy his insights.

I've been with the Sabres from Day One but I was never impressed with Darling. He's way overrated IMO. RJ is good, very good, but the best I've ever heard is Danny Gallivan. Since his death, his son has taken over as the voice of the Blues and he sounds almost the same. Too bad we can't get someone of that caliber here.

Which can't be said for RJ's son. God, he's awful! If you close your eyes you can imagine someone named Percy wearing a smoking jacket with a cigarette on a holder in front of his fireplace complete with a monocle. That's the image he gives me. No passion, no excitement, no nothing!

Sylvester is good...better than I expected, but shouldn't be the final choice. I haven't heard Hamilton or Gare as yet.

You guys don't like Neale? I do...I love his dry wit ("It looks like Crabb is pinching on that play.") which seems totally lost on RJ, who never responds. Plus Neale seems to get along with Rob Ray better than RJ on the air. BTW Ray is very good as an on-ice commentator. I always enjoy his insights.

I've been with the Sabres from Day One but I was never impressed with Darling. He's way overrated IMO. RJ is good, very good, but the best I've ever heard is Danny Gallivan. Since his death, his son has taken over as the voice of the Blues and he sounds almost the same. Too bad we can't get someone of that caliber here.

Which can't be said for RJ's son. God, he's awful! If you close your eyes you can imagine someone named Percy wearing a smoking jacket with a cigarette on a holder in front of his fireplace complete with a monocle. That's the image he gives me. No passion, no excitement, no nothing!

Sylvester is good...better than I expected, but shouldn't be the final choice. I haven't heard Hamilton or Gare as yet.

And RJ's son has that strange high pitched warble when he announces,' he scorrrrrrrrres! '

I haven't seen any mention of if Rob Ray will be part of the non-RJ away games. Any one see anything?

I thought I heard something like he will join them in the intermission or the booth or something like like that. I 'm not sure what I heard actually. But I heard it.

Archived