All About July 1 wishes

LGR4GM

There is one guy out there that might take a mint to get, but could fit into the style that might be brewing now. Martin Hanzal. Weave talked of a Peca type.....different build of player alltogether, but he could be your 2nd line shutdown, physical center with enough skill and upside to be a beast for the next decade. He probably isn't available....but I would rather go that way than a Spezza type.

I love Max Talbot in FA, and even though you have Gaustad, both those guys could play some wing as well. A Gerbe-Gaustad-Talbot line would have the other team looking for their fly swatter if those 3 started feeding off of each other.

There is one guy out there that might take a mint to get, but could fit into the style that might be brewing now. Martin Hanzal. Weave talked of a Peca type.....different build of player alltogether, but he could be your 2nd line shutdown, physical center with enough skill and upside to be a beast for the next decade. He probably isn't available....but I would rather go that way than a Spezza type.

I love Max Talbot in FA, and even though you have Gaustad, both those guys could play some wing as well. A Gerbe-Gaustad-Talbot line would have the other team looking for their fly swatter if those 3 started feeding off of each other.

Yes. This is where I've (you too i think) been for a while now, but i'm a little scared that DR and company seem to be there as well. We got the 31-32 year old shut down vet I mentioned earlier in this thread. Now we go after Ehrhoff and one of the tough-nosed centers you've mentioned and my entire plan from the first 5 pages of this thread comes to fruition.

BTW, props to you for picking Regher as the "veteran shutdown" target several weeks ago.

If they could get Connolly to sign for between 1 and 2 million a season, they'd be fools not to do it. Fools.

Connolly being healthy as he did last season was an anomaly.

Signing anyone as injury-prone as he is an unwise move, to say the least.

For 1.5 mill, sure he'd be a steal if he played 75 games.

Only he won't.

Right now, sitting here today I'd be happy if we signed Brooks Laich to be our #2 center and re-signed Connolly to be on the 3rd line with Hecht and Pomminstein. Not ideal by any stretch but it would work.

Vanek - Roy - Stafford

Ennis - Laich - Boyes

Hecht - Tin Man - Pommer

McCormick - Goose - Kaleta

Gerbe is odd man out.

Jeez, I can't believe I just said I'd be OK with Connolly coming back.

I think I'd be more comfortable if you swapped Gerbe and Kaleta.

Yes. This is where I've (you too i think) been for a while now, but i'm a little scared that DR and company seem to be there as well. We got the 31-32 year old shut down vet I mentioned earlier in this thread. Now we go after Ehrhoff and one of the tough-nosed centers you've mentioned and my entire plan from the first 5 pages of this thread comes to fruition.

BTW, props to you for picking Regher as the "veteran shutdown" target several weeks ago.

I know.....it's scary.

I've posted a few times that I like Hanzal. I like Talbot too...but much like Kaleta I don't see him lasting long playing his style.

Can I just say that Martin Hanzal is everything they told us Gaustad was going to be.

I wish I could say I thought Hanzal was a good fighter......but......I don't think he's strong enough on his skates.

He does have better touch than Gaustad...and probably higher upside. But he has a tendency of getting lost on shifts.

I wish I could say I thought Hanzal was a good fighter......but......I don't think he's strong enough on his skates.

He does have better touch than Gaustad...and probably higher upside. But he has a tendency of getting lost on shifts.

I've seen Goose get lost plenty. He's gotten lost for months at a time and just started finding bodies with the other jersey on, again, last year. As for fighting, I'm really not that worried. You can find other guys that can smash faces.

Goose isn't a good fighter either. Capable is about the highest rating I'd give him. And he knows "capable" is where he's at. When he fights an accomplished fighter he's very defensve in style. He knows that if he's careless he'll end up with orbital bone surgery.

Has Hanzal got any more upside than 3rd line? I'm not very familiar with him.

so i was just watching msg's hockey night live post draft edition and they seem to think NYR and maybe TOR are the only teams in on Richards. They also think with the CBA set to expire after next season that some older guys will get less years just in case the CBA changes. Brooks Laich was high up on their list of UFA forwards and they said any team would be lucky to have him. Finally from what i gathered they seem to think Jagr is going to pittsburg or nyr, personally i am trying to figure out how the rangers will get under the cap if they are getting jagr and richards and keeping drury. Also the rangers have this philosophy now of going out and getting UFA's and not really building their team as much from within. Obviously they have some home grown talent but they seem to be a using a model that makes me think they are going to be marginal for awhile. Kinda Calgary overpaying every guy they have because they are simply idiots. Either way its a good time to be a sabres fan and maybe in 4 days it will get even better. Regehr was a good first step, but lets see if Pegula magic works on UFA's

There are about 25 teams that think they are in the Richards Derby yet only NY and Toronto get mentioned as if the hockey world revolves around them. That is why I said earlier that Richards will get a long term monster contract from someone. That kind of deal will many times come back to haunt the team in later years - especially since Richards is not a Gretzky, Lemieux, or Crosby. That is why I think the Sabres should make a sensible offer to him and let it go if someone gets carried away (and you know some team will).

I'd be okay with not adding a legit number 1 center if darcy can't get richards without a ridiculous 12 year deal and can't trade for one. I would rather see him stock up on defensemen (add 1 more top 2/4 dman + 1 top 6) and pickup a solid #2 center man this offseason than sell the farm for a number 1 this season.

EDIT: this forum keeps changing my avatar to my facebook profile picture. :censored:

Has Hanzal got any more upside than 3rd line? I'm not very familiar with him.

Hanzal is the kind of guy that can play 2nd or 3rd. He's big, likes to hit and is pretty effective in a dump and chase scheme. He's a pretty good skater and can eat up a lot of space.

There is a lot to like about him.

IIRC...he was the pick right after Zagrapan in the forgettable 2005 draft.

I'd be okay with not adding a legit number 1 center if darcy can't get richards without a ridiculous 12 year deal and can't trade for one. I would rather see him stock up on defensemen (add 1 more top 2/4 dman + 1 top 6) and pickup a solid #2 center man this offseason than sell the farm for a number 1 this season.

EDIT: this forum keeps changing my avatar to my facebook profile picture. :censored:

go to settings and its in there somewhere, it says like dont link to my FB picture.

I dont think we need 3 defense this summer. We have Leopold, Weber, Myers, Regehr, MAG, Sekera. Honestly if we resigned monty i would be good for now especially if that means you can get your #1 center. (we dont have unlimited cap space) Remember that we now have 2012 draft picks in play (they always were but teams will now be thinking that these are for the upcoming draft) so maybe that helps our cause a little. Spezza, Stastny, or Richards would be my targets. I think Spezza with Vanek would light teams up and even though we all hate him, hes got the ability to be a game changer. Last year he was bad because his whole team was terrible. He still had 57 pts and would immediately become a top 3 producer on this team if not 1st overall. Thats just my thoughts on him. I heard the deadline deal was Adams/Ennis/and a 1st or something like that and so we passed, hopefully ottawa will change their mind and trade him for something more palatable to the sabres organization.

go to settings and its in there somewhere, it says like dont link to my FB picture.

I dont think we need 3 defense this summer. We have Leopold, Weber, Myers, Regehr, MAG, Sekera. Honestly if we resigned monty i would be good for now especially if that means you can get your #1 center. (we dont have unlimited cap space) Remember that we now have 2012 draft picks in play (they always were but teams will now be thinking that these are for the upcoming draft) so maybe that helps our cause a little. Spezza, Stastny, or Richards would be my targets. I think Spezza with Vanek would light teams up and even though we all hate him, hes got the ability to be a game changer. Last year he was bad because his whole team was terrible. He still had 57 pts and would immediately become a top 3 producer on this team if not 1st overall. Thats just my thoughts on him. I heard the deadline deal was Adams/Ennis/and a 1st or something like that and so we passed, hopefully ottawa will change their mind and trade him for something more palatable to the sabres organization.

I don't disagree with most of your post but for me Spezza isn't the guy.There's something about his flakiness and lack of overall toughness. Granted he is what he is and I'm sure he would light it up but for me 3 first round picks with 2 ahl rookie of the year honourees is high. I believe adding Bieksa would give us the best d in the league. Throw in Miller and Enroth and we're stylin. Then work on the forwards.

I don't disagree with most of your post but for me Spezza isn't the guy.There's something about his flakiness and lack of overall toughness. Granted he is what he is and I'm sure he would light it up but for me 3 first round picks with 2 ahl rookie of the year honourees is high. I believe adding Bieksa would give us the best d in the league. Throw in Miller and Enroth and we're stylin. Then work on the forwards.

I wholeheartedly agree that some first rounders and 2 ahl rookies of the year are a huge overpayment for spezza. I wish there was a team that needed to move a guy for salary reasons that we could pounce on but that already happend.(philly) Spezza is a guy who can be the controlling force in a game or nothing at all but I think the nothing has come from being on a team where hes almost the only legitimate scoring threat. I just would like any top scoring center we could find or a decent 2nd line guy and we can put roy at #1.

However....if you go out and sign Pikanen....your D suddenly looks, well, formidable, and you have freed up some good D prospects to trade for centers.

Just dreaming here...

Pikanen-Myers

Regehr - Leopold

Sekera -Gragnani

Weber

However....if you go out and sign Pikanen....your D suddenly looks, well, formidable, and you have freed up some good D prospects to trade for centers.

Just dreaming here...

Pikanen-Myers

Regehr - Leopold

Sekera -Gragnani

Weber

... I love it. Might change it a little but I love it.

So i was just thinking that what if SJ wants to be a bit tougher and wants some defensive prospects because they are not the most deep team defensively... I am talking about Gaustad, Sheistal/Brennen and a pick for a center they have. I know it would be a long shot and I am not sure they would do it, however they seem like they are trying to get better and realize their current roster will not quite win them a cup.

I think SJ and others in the west might be our only trade options for a center this year. If someone in the east sends us a Center for anyone other than Vanek, Miller, or Myers, they'd be creating a beast of a team that they'd have to play at least 4 times and see again in the playoffs. With Regher on board, it's unlikely that an Eastern conference team would hand us something to fill the only missing piece we have left that we can't get in UFA.

I think SJ and others in the west might be our only trade options for a center this year. If someone in the east sends us a Center for anyone other than Vanek, Miller, or Myers, they'd be creating a beast of a team that they'd have to play at least 4 times and see again in the playoffs. With Regher on board, it's unlikely that an Eastern conference team would hand us something to fill the only missing piece we have left that we can't get in UFA.

If a deal makes a team better, they'll make it. It's that simple.

If a deal makes a team better, they'll make it. It's that simple.

If deal A makes the team 4 points better and Deal B makes the team 3 points better, but moves the good player out of conference, many teams will choose team B. I just seems to matter to the GMs.

but you're right, If the only deal is Deal A, they'll take it.

Hanzal is the kind of guy that can play 2nd or 3rd. He's big, likes to hit and is pretty effective in a dump and chase scheme. He's a pretty good skater and can eat up a lot of space.

There is a lot to like about him.

IIRC...he was the pick right after Zagrapan in the forgettable 2005 draft.

I don't know what the Regehr trade is saying just yet. Is it just a micro move to add a sturdy veteran D? Or is it the start of admitting this team could use a change of strategy and build tougher and with more leadership? We don't need a team full of goons, but if you could somehow find a way to bring in a guy like Hanzal and maybe Doan with him, and sign a Talbot in UFA.....all of a sudden you don't need a giant name #1 center. You build your team a lot like USA in the olympics....hard working guys that are smart and have grit, and enough talent to keep the other team on their toes all game.

Phoenix is a nice partner because they are out west, need a goalie, and their ownership and $$ is a big question. Enroth, Sekera, Adam, Boyes, pick for Hanzal and Doan? I don't think Hanzal is available, but this team would turn badass with a trade like that. Then you resign Montador and a decent backup....pick up Talbot in FA....let Kassian get some time here.....D-O-N-E.

I want to see this team stop worrying about assignments on the ice, and start taking the game to the other team. I think this D will be fine with Montador back. The forwards are still way too soft and that is the key now in my opinion. You should be able to trust your goalie...and now you should be able to trust your D if you can ship out Sekera. Lindy needs to have guys he can trust up front. Let them take that extra run, or let them cycle and not have to worry about getting back at the first sign they don't have 100% possesion.

I don't know what the Regehr trade is saying just yet. Is it just a micro move to add a sturdy veteran D? Or is it the start of admitting this team could use a change of strategy and build tougher and with more leadership? We don't need a team full of goons, but if you could somehow find a way to bring in a guy like Hanzal and maybe Doan with him, and sign a Talbot in UFA.....all of a sudden you don't need a giant name #1 center. You build your team a lot like USA in the olympics....hard working guys that are smart and have grit, and enough talent to keep the other team on their toes all game.

Phoenix is a nice partner because they are out west, need a goalie, and their ownership and $ is a big question. Enroth, Sekera, Adam, Boyes, pick for Hanzal and Doan? I don't think Hanzal is available, but this team would turn badass with a trade like that. Then you resign Montador and a decent backup....pick up Talbot in FA....let Kassian get some time here.....D-O-N-E.

I want to see this team stop worrying about assignments on the ice, and start taking the game to the other team. I think this D will be fine with Montador back. The forwards are still way too soft and that is the key now in my opinion. You should be able to trust your goalie...and now you should be able to trust your D if you can ship out Sekera. Lindy needs to have guys he can trust up front. Let them take that extra run, or let them cycle and not have to worry about getting back at the first sign they don't have 100% possesion.

Now this could lead to a better discussion.

The old "run 4 lines" vs "top heavy scores".

Sabres vs. the old Ottawa, Bruins vs Canucks...

Archived