All About July 1 wishes

LGR4GM

I don't know what the Regehr trade is saying just yet. Is it just a micro move to add a sturdy veteran D? Or is it the start of admitting this team could use a change of strategy and build tougher and with more leadership? We don't need a team full of goons, but if you could somehow find a way to bring in a guy like Hanzal and maybe Doan with him, and sign a Talbot in UFA.....all of a sudden you don't need a giant name #1 center. You build your team a lot like USA in the olympics....hard working guys that are smart and have grit, and enough talent to keep the other team on their toes all game.

Phoenix is a nice partner because they are out west, need a goalie, and their ownership and $$ is a big question. Enroth, Sekera, Adam, Boyes, pick for Hanzal and Doan? I don't think Hanzal is available, but this team would turn badass with a trade like that. Then you resign Montador and a decent backup....pick up Talbot in FA....let Kassian get some time here.....D-O-N-E.

I want to see this team stop worrying about assignments on the ice, and start taking the game to the other team. I think this D will be fine with Montador back. The forwards are still way too soft and that is the key now in my opinion. You should be able to trust your goalie...and now you should be able to trust your D if you can ship out Sekera. Lindy needs to have guys he can trust up front. Let them take that extra run, or let them cycle and not have to worry about getting back at the first sign they don't have 100% possesion.

Having a stay at home D-man on each pairing and having a Center on each line that can get the puck out of the zone, so you aren't having to pinch a D-man up each time to create offensive pressure but still can when the situation warrants it would go a long way towards getting there.

Monty could be the 3rd stay at home guy but it sounds like the Sabres are looking to upgrade his slot on the depth chart. I'm fine w/ that. I had 4 shopping items on my wish list heading into this off-season. They've picked up 1 of them. I'm 99% certain they'll get at least 1 more in the off-season and likely 2 of them. Get all 4 and it's party time.

IMHO, a LOT of the focusing on assignments vs "taking it to the other team" was an acknowledgement that there were weaknesses that the other team would exploit given the chance. Keep filling out that shopping cart and the weaknesses aren't there.

Having a stay at home D-man on each pairing and having a Center on each line that can get the puck out of the zone, so you aren't having to pinch a D-man up each time to create offensive pressure but still can when the situation warrants it would go a long way towards getting there.

Monty could be the 3rd stay at home guy but it sounds like the Sabres are looking to upgrade his slot on the depth chart. I'm fine w/ that. I had 4 shopping items on my wish list heading into this off-season. They've picked up 1 of them. I'm 99% certain they'll get at least 1 more in the off-season and likely 2 of them. Get all 4 and it's party time.

Montador has been chirping he wants to be back, so maybe Darcy lays low and sees what else is out there. I am peachy with Regehr/Myers, Weber/Leopold, Montador/Grags. That is playoff pairing right there.

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Hecht-Hanzal-Doan

Ennis-Talbot-Pominville

Gerbe-Gaustad-Kassian

It fits under the cap....you have the parts to make that trade......

And the main reason I have been so vocal about Darcy/Ruff is that the combo of the two seemed to set up that weakness. If Ruff is truly willing to let guys he trusts play, and Darcy has admitted we need grit...then all will be well. That is not what has been on display for the better part of a decade though.

I want to see this team stop worrying about assignments on the ice, and start taking the game to the other team. I think this D will be fine with Montador back. The forwards are still way too soft and that is the key now in my opinion. You should be able to trust your goalie...and now you should be able to trust your D if you can ship out Sekera. Lindy needs to have guys he can trust up front. Let them take that extra run, or let them cycle and not have to worry about getting back at the first sign they don't have 100% possesion.

Some interesting ideas here. I've often wondered what Buffalo would look like if they dumped and chased more - or even mixed it up where the top 2 lines played possession entries and the bottom 2 dumped to punish.

But, getting centers pretty much solves the D pinching like mad all the time - and there would be less worry about getting caught deep if you have Regehr back there.

I'd rather take my chances on Sekera and Gragnani than resign Montador. If Buffalo signs an additional top 4 D man, I think they are in great shape to trade prospects.

At his best Monty was very good, but the vacation his brain took from Christmas to March 1st was enough to make me want to look elsewhere.

Montador has been chirping he wants to be back, so maybe Darcy lays low and sees what else is out there. I am peachy with Regehr/Myers, Weber/Leopold, Montador/Grags. That is playoff pairing right there.

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Hecht-Hanzal-Doan

Ennis-Talbot-Pominville

Gerbe-Gaustad-Kassian

It fits under the cap....you have the parts to make that trade......

And the main reason I have been so vocal about Darcy/Ruff is that the combo of the two seemed to set up that weakness. If Ruff is truly willing to let guys he trusts play, and Darcy has admitted we need grit...then all will be well. That is not what has been on display for the better part of a decade though.

I'd be fine w/ that lineup. (Though I don't think Kassian will be ready for full time duty this season.)

With Darcy's interview this morning talking about getting one more experienced defenseman for the team, I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on Kaberle? Production wise, he did not seem to do much after the trade to Boston. I'm not sure he helped his stock on the UFA market even though he did win a Stanley Cup in the process. But, he might not be a bad fit at $3.5-$4 million/year cap hit if the Sabres can find a taker for Morrisson (which may not be all that hard as a bunch of teams need to get to the salary cap floor).

Like I said in another thread, I'd rather see the Sabres going after a top line centerman instead of adding to the defense core as I think the blueline is good with the young guys they have and Leopold and the addition of Regehr. With the money left after the Regehr trade according to capgeek, the Sabres have about $12.4 million to spend on re-signing free agents and getting one more impact player. Given that, I'd rather that one more impact player be a centerman at a higher dollar value of say $6-7 million/year than a mid-range center like Laich and another defenseman like Kaberle. But, I see the merits in both, especially if the goal is build from the goalie out. It will be more 2-1 games than 4-3 games. But, it can work.

Some interesting ideas here. I've often wondered what Buffalo would look like if they dumped and chased more - or even mixed it up where the top 2 lines played possession entries and the bottom 2 dumped to punish.

But, getting centers pretty much solves the D pinching like mad all the time - and there would be less worry about getting caught deep if you have Regehr back there.

I'd rather take my chances on Sekera and Gragnani than resign Montador. If Buffalo signs an additional top 4 D man, I think they are in great shape to trade prospects.

At his best Monty was very good, but the vacation his brain took from Christmas to March 1st was enough to make me want to look elsewhere.

I think Montador's problem is that he is a 4-6 DMan but he has probably felt the pressure of void of leadership and has tried to do too much at times. His heart is in the right place. If Weber can step up and be a little more consistant and emulate the big dog in Regehr....Montador will be a great low end filler who can still skate.

I REALLY want Sekera out of here. I don't care about his offensive upside. He is weak minded. Tim Horton and Larry Robinson can't change his character.

I think if the Sabres focus on more of a balanced attack with guys finishing checks instead of circling back....the energy level at the arena will double and these young guys will really start to blossom. My ears are pricked to see what comes next.

I have a hunch that Sekera is the key to making a good trade. Personally I love the guy. Yes, he makes mistakes, but so does every puck rushing defenseman. (I've seen Orr get burnt more than once) If no trade, I'd love to see him improve even more this year. Regehr can help steady him but he has offensive talent that you can't teach.

He'd be a fine addition to another team, which is why I think he is the key to any trade.

I have a hunch that Sekera is the key to making a good trade. Personally I love the guy. Yes, he makes mistakes, but so does every puck rushing defenseman. (I've seen Orr get burnt more than once) If no trade, I'd love to see him improve even more this year. Regehr can help steady him but he has offensive talent that you can't teach.

He'd be a fine addition to another team, which is why I think he is the key to any trade.

I hope you meant Colton.

The Flyers just traded Powe to the Wild for a third round pick.

Looks like they're priming themselves for Richards!

Philly won't be in the Richards sweepstakes. They still have to re-sign Voracek, Carcillo and Simmonds. Also, if they want Ville Leino to stay, they'll cost them around $4 million per season.

Then that's a lot of number 2.

I would rather ship my 10 year old son to "Mass Wine Sampling Weekend" at the Boston seminary than mention those two in the same breath.

I wasn't saying that they are comparable in terms of talent, but both have/had offensive skills and that increases mistakes. If you are concerned about minimizing errors on D, always play it safe ala Tim Horton.

I'd be fine w/ that lineup. (Though I don't think Kassian will be ready for full time duty this season.)

Sorry, you are going way overboard with the grit. Ted Nolan would love this line up but In this NHL you need at least 2 top line centers. Having guys like Talbot and hansel is great but counting on them as your 2nd and 3rd line centers isn't working.

Sorry, you are going way overboard with the grit. Ted Nolan would love this line up but In this NHL you need at least 2 top line centers. Having guys like Talbot and hansel is great but counting on them as your 2nd and 3rd line centers isn't working.

I don't think that lineup is a SC winner, but it's closer than where the Sabres are now and there is still a lot of 'skill' on the wings and each D-pairing has a puck mover. I'd probably swap the 2nd and 3rd line wingers.

That would be a fun team to watch and depending upon deadline acquisitions would be a contender.

My preference is still to get a true top line center and have the other parts to possibly even move Roy to wing. (I definitely don't see them bringing in enough centers to do that, but in an ideal world ....) I don't know that the top line guy will come in and if Roy ends up your top center, that lineup could work.

Archived