All About July 1 wishes

LGR4GM

I'll play along. Even if it's true, which it isn't, what in gods name would the Sabres have to give up?

WGR was talking this morning about an ecklund rumor that had the Sabres and a couple other teams going after stamkos. I thought Stamkos was on the verge of being resigned?

WGR was talking this morning about an ecklund rumor that had the Sabres and a couple other teams going after stamkos. I thought Stamkos was on the verge of being resigned?

Must be a sign and trade deal like the NBA. :)

Regeir says they offered Mancari a qualifying offer. I thought he was ufa and has stated he isn't going to sign here anyway.

I can't get the stupid CBA to open on this computer for some reason, so don't quote me on this one. I believe Mancari's in one of those strange classes of free agency where he can opt for UFA status. The team still needs to go through the motions of a qualifying offer even if in the end it is meaningless. I know he's in one of the strange free agent groups where he has played X amount of years without a Y games at the NHL level. I'm not so sure if the new CBA eliminated that opting out option though.

I can't get the stupid CBA to open on this computer for some reason, so don't quote me on this one. I believe Mancari's in one of those strange classes of free agency where he can opt for UFA status. The team still needs to go through the motions of a qualifying offer even if in the end it is meaningless. I know he's in one of the strange free agent groups where he has played X amount of years without a Y games at the NHL level. I'm not so sure if the new CBA eliminated that opting out option though.

Thanks. I started wondering what the hell he's talking about. So this is just Darcy doing teh proper work as a gm then.

We don't need you anyway Mark. We have Kotalik that can waste the same space lol

Does anyone think that the Lightning will have to get rid of Gagne and Lacavlier?

Lecavlier, no. Gagne, quite possibly. I always liked Gagne's game and his size. If he could still healthy, he's a top 10 player and would love to have him on the team.

That would be the biggest move in Buffalo sports history. Hands down.

He's a Group 6 UFA. Over 25, 3 yrs experience but less than 80 games.

Well really I don't think our defense needs anything really. Our young guys will be a bit more experienced and this past years FAs should be much improved to, since most defensemen seem to take a season or 2 to fit in with Lind's scheme. Looking at it this is the top 7 i think atm.

Myers Weber

Leopold Butler

MAG Morrison

Sekera

Thats not a bad lineup. The only thing it lacks would be a true top pair guy to go with Myers. If we can get one of thous I would say package a couple D for a center which is a much bigger need

I don't understand why people are down on Sekera. He has shown stretches of pure brilliance. Give him more time this year and be rewarded for it. The guy is a player. There were around 20 games where he totally dominated at both ends of the ice.

you can all laugh at my hopefulness as much as you like, but i don't think this is as big of a long shot as many of us would think. Something big is in the works. maybe not Stamkos, but somethings gonna happen.

If we were to target someone like Stamkos or Malkin, I would hope we avoid giving up more than 1 roster player. Ship out picks and prospects and worry about refilling those later.

1st in 12

2nd in 12

1st in 13

Pysyk

Adam

should get the ball rolling in discussions for a top C and at least get a team's attention.

you can all laugh at my hopefulness as much as you like, but i don't think this is as big of a long shot as many of us would think. Something big is in the works. maybe not Stamkos, but somethings gonna happen.

The lightning getting rid of Stamkos is akin to the Sabes getting rid of Myers, McNabb and Kassian all at the same time. Dustin Penner is the only big RFA to be signed away since the lockout, and he's 1/10the player Stamkos is. There is zero chance of this happening. He's a top 5 player in the league, all of this conjecture is madness.

Well done. I like these lines more than the ones I listed. The only thing I would do is maybe switch Boyes and Stafford, but they should work well on either line.

That Gerbe Pavelski Kassian line would REALLY piss off other teams.

I might be willing to trade Butler and Pysyk or McNabb for Robyn Regher or even explore what Minnesota would want for Brent Burns. Apparently they are willing to at least listen to offers. Myers and Burns as a top pairing would be crazy good. The asking price is probably way too high though.

Myers Regher

Sekera Leopold

Weber Gragnani

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: The asking price wasn't as much as I thought...

***Regehr***

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: The asking price wasn't as much as I thought...

***Regehr***

Yes. Thankfully it wasn't McNabb. That would have been a punch to the gut. I think his ceiling might be as high if not higher than Myers.

Some players I'd be interested in adding July 1st would be Andrew Brunette and Michael Handzus. Especially if we dump Boyes or Hecht.

Brunette is LW and has had a very consistent career putting up between 15-27 goals every year since 1999. He is also an underrated asset on the PP. He would bring some valuable leadership to the top 9 and has a tendency to score big goals. I don't think he'd cost more than 3.5 mil per for 3 years. Is he up there in age (37), but we could use someone similar to his skill set. He can still produce.

Handzus had a bit of a down year in LA with only 30 pts, but could be a nice 3rd line C here. He has great size.

Since Darcy stated we will still look to add on D.....I would be intrigued by Ed Jovanowski. An old, fierce veteran leader who might be perfect for a # 6 role here. He'd bring more snarl and played under Ruff as an Asst Coach in FLA.

Myers Regehr

Leopold Weber

Sekera Jovanowski

Gragnani

These 3 pairs are a nice mix of skating puck mover + defensive physical dman.

If anyone struggles, you have a very good option to replace them with Gragnani.

not sure i've ever heard your ideas ink, and i mean that in the scincerest way.

who would you go after in terms of a top center?

I'd rather have Kopitar myself, but the Kings aren't moving him.

I see no real difference between Kopitar and Malkin. Same oafish soft Euro. Until I see a non-north American come to the Sabres and show some moxy (Vanek is starting to show signs), I'll stear clear of the lot.

As far as who I would like the Sabres to bring in, Mike Richards would have been my first choice. Giving up Adam, Kassian, plus might have been a bit much but that would have been the only package a see comparable to what LA gave in return.

This years UFA class is underwhelming. Brooks Laich would be nice but the Sabres need more scoring than he will provide. I could live with Brad Richards and Laich. Roy, Richards, Laich and Gaustad would look decent but only if they are supplemented with physical players. Whether it's Kassian and Foligno or somebody else, I think you need some scary on the ice at all times.

I could live with this lineup:

Vanek-Richards-Kassian

Foligno-Roy-Stafford

Ennis-Laich-Pominville

McCormick-Gaustad-Gerbe

Extra-Kaleta

(make Hecht and Boyes go bye bye)

Myers-Weber

Regehr-Leopold

Sekera-UFA/trade

extra-MAG

I suppose changing Kopitar (is he really on the market) or Malkin are much different than Richards, I just need time to get the bad Euro taste out of my mouth.

Archived