Official 2011 NHL Draft Thread

Robviously

Why not Sean Couturier? Wouldn't have to go all the way up to number one but he's a big bodied, two way player that could make an impact as early as next year.

I would love Couturier on this team. Hes big and he can score and did I mention hes big? Him or McNiell I think is what the sabres should be thinking for this draft. Both big guys with a great deal of potential. I think that moving up this draft might be unrealistic because darcy is slow to pull the trigger but it might happen.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=9452 at 6'4" 197 pds with 96pts this past season, I would say hes worth a look. He is currently ranked 6th overall for north American skaters.

I would love Couturier on this team. Hes big and he can score and did I mention hes big? Him or McNiell I think is what the sabres should be thinking for this draft. Both big guys with a great deal of potential. I think that moving up this draft might be unrealistic because darcy is slow to pull the trigger but it might happen.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=9452 at 6'4" 197 pds with 96pts this past season, I would say hes worth a look. He is currently ranked 6th overall for north American skaters.

If Buffalo doesn't move up they won't have a prayer of landing either of these two kids IMO. Hey! Isn't that what the OP is about, moving up to draft a center for the future? :wallbash:

If Buffalo doesn't move up they won't have a prayer of landing either of these two kids IMO. Hey! Isn't that what the OP is about, moving up to draft a center for the future? :wallbash:

How far up do you think they need to go to grab Couturier? THN has him ranked 4th (2nd center prospect).

How far up do you think they need to go to grab Couturier? THN has him ranked 4th (2nd center prospect).

I have no idea. I am sure Darcy has an idea who covets centers. Talking trade to get the pick just before the second team that is looking for a center would be a good starting point.

Two questions:

1. Do you think things will be different with the draft process (i.e. trading up) with Pegs in?

2. If we do trade up to a top 5 pick, and we grab Sean Couturier or McNeil, is there a chance that they'll play for us next year? (I'm not as familiar with the NHL draft as I am with the NFL, but i know only the top picks usually play the year they're drafted).

Two questions:

1. Do you think things will be different with the draft process (i.e. trading up) with Pegs in?

2. If we do trade up to a top 5 pick, and we grab Sean Couturier or McNeil, is there a chance that they'll play for us next year? (I'm not as familiar with the NHL draft as I am with the NFL, but i know only the top picks usually play the year they're drafted).

I would say no depending on the player but usually its the top 3-5 play immediately and usually the top 3 is the cutoff. I would take Couturier way before mcniell if I could move up to the top 5 I think Couturier goes 4-7th

McNiell is projected to go 20th by Internation Scouting service: https://www.isshockey.com/scouting/home (as of march 1)

If not I vote Mark Scheifele. projected to go 18th by some, he had 75pts last season is a center and is 6'2"

Outside of trading Myers or Vanek, no team would trade a top 5 pick.

This.

This team doesn't need to rebuild. This team just needs to add on to what they have and keep doing their homework and hit on some talented forwards in the draft. Not all great forwards come in the 1st round, some come late 1st, some come middle of the draft. Pegula has said he will add scouting and coaching to our team.

• 3 weeks later...

four days and a fortnight days till the draft, time to get the fax machine working.

Here's an Idea:

With the young talent on this team and in prospect land, the first three rounds of picks this year and next are completely expendable. I would bundle them all up and either try and trade into the top 5 this year to get a centerman, or trade the farm for one of those immovable object centers that we always talk about. Herschel Walker Style, only with better results. Maybe throw in one of the D-men and Kassian or Foligno or gerbe or ennis if necessary. Could a GM in a small market really turn down 2 firsts, a second, 2 thirds, and two of those guys? If the goal belief really is three years, then any pick after the top 5 is of zero value toward that goal belief.

Discuss shout obscenities about darcy regier...

McNiell is predicted to be drafted btw 8-12 on most places mock drafts. The Sabres are drafting 16th right? (I read that) So how plausible is it for us to trade down into the top 10 to get mcniell who I think we need desperately.... although knowing are luck darcy drafts a freaking defender in the first round. The more i read about the draftees the only one close to us that I want is Mcniell, kid can score and hes big, maybe we could make a play for him and throw him out on the 3/4 line next season. Best part is hes a center.

You're not likely to see whomever they draft for at least 3 seasons.

I'm partial to Boone Jenner. 18th ranked prospect according to central scouting. http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm

Originally slotted in as a late 1st rounder, slowly but surely Boone has been moving his way up the mock draft boards, where now several suggest he could go in the 16-20 range. That means he's another option at center, beyond Mark McNeil and Mark Scheifele. http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2011/5/27/2190054/2011-nhl-entry-draft-prospects-boone-jenner

You're not likely to see whomever they draft for at least 3 seasons.

I'm partial to Boone Jenner. 18th ranked prospect according to central scouting. http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm

Seeing plenty of Generals games live, I wasn't overly impressed with him. Admittedly it could be that the talk of the town this year was Steve Thomas's kid Christian. He was good though and anytime your over a point a game in the playoffs and 18 thats decent but his skating leaves a lot to be desired IMO. Good character and 'heart' though.

Seeing plenty of Generals games live, I wasn't overly impressed with him. Admittedly it could be that the talk of the town this year was Steve Thomas's kid Christian. He was good though and anytime your over a point a game in the playoffs and 18 thats decent but his skating leaves a lot to be desired IMO. Good character and 'heart' though.

Thanks for that, I've not seen him play, but am instead going from written scouting reports. While skating seems to be his downfall, it has also been noted many times that he has improved in that aspect. I've also read that he's more of a sure thing to reach the NHL level, however the ceiling isn't quite as high, more likely a bottom 6 player. Wouldnt mind seeing the Sabres trade back with Toronto, who is rumored to be trying to move up ( http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumors/post/Maple-Leafs-looking-to-move-up-in-draft;_ylt=Avp6yXvl4IN9F25vnA9foV97vLYF?urn=nhl-360845)and get 2 centers (Jenner and Rask?)to improve their org depth at that position.

Undersized at 5'6" but could be there at #16, the Sabres have shown size doesn't really matter to them:

Rocco Grimaldi

The straw that stirs the drink on US National Team's all-important first line. Tiny little pocket rocket is an agitator extraordinaire and very willing to mix it up physically with much bigger foes. Dynamic skater with instant acceleration and a separation gear. Has possibly the best one-timer in the entire draft. Hand/eye coordination is off the charts. Tremendous finisher is a super sniper, but also unselfish with excellent playmaking ability. Impossible to contain or get a clean hit on - creates separation with lightning fast cuts and change of direction. Strong on skates too with a low centre of gravity. Constantly in attack mode and competes his ass off every shift.

Projection: Top line scorer who converts to wing as a pro

Style compares to: Theo Fleury

10. Rocco Grimaldi, Center, USA Under-18-USHL

The most common phrase I hear in reference to Rocco Grimaldi when I talk to scouts usually goes along the lines of, "If only he was 5'11", then he'd go first overall." He is one of the, if not the most gifted player in this draft class from a pure hockey skills perspective. Grimaldi's a true plus skater with well above-average acceleration and gets to a plus top speed after a handful of strides. He's agile standing still and in motion, and I've seen him out-skate a defender chasing him skating forward while he was merely side stepping. He possesses plus puck skills and in regards to when the puck is on his stick, there's really not a single area where there's an issue. His hand-eye coordination, stick-handling, passing, even to a degree his puck protection is all there and at a desirable level. Grimaldi's shot is also at a plus level, and he can score with his wrist shot or slapper from well beyond the crease area and he generates a large amount of power on all his shots. He thinks the game at a solid to above-average level, has notable vision with the puck that allows to him execute plus passes regularly, although I have at times seem him force plays here and there. He's solid defensively, and is effective at even-strength and on the penalty kill in that regard. Grimaldi's intangibles are off the charts; he simply flies up and down the ice and does whatever it takes to get the puck off players. Despite the 5'6" frame, he regularly challenges players much bigger than him and wins his fair share of battles although not enough to erase the liability. The frame will continue to hamper his absolute potential for his entire career, but if there was ever an ideal model of a player who could overcome being well below-average size-wise, that player would be Rocco Grimaldi.

Undersized at 5'6" but could be there at #16, the Sabres have shown size doesn't really matter to them:

I don't see it. Especially at #16. Buffalo, has been looking to get bigger.

I think Buffalo targets McNeil, Sheiferle, or a longer shot at Jenner or Catenacci if for some reason they have a chance to drop down.

I am not sure Jenner is an answer, sounds like one of those kids that is on and off.

What I am wondering is do the Sabres have enough someone they can sign and or trade a la Connolly plus a draft pick to get some depth out the second round as well as the first.

There seems to be a lot of lower ranked centers, but there are also a lot of very talented wingers that may drop if there is a run on centers and goaltenders.

?Are there any Wingers out there that have played center and can switch back and forth. Someone like a Brandon Saad or Ty Rattie with lots of assists. Saad is the bigger tougher guy and is young enough too?

Saad

What I am talking about is potential of some steal picks in the later rounds. I read somewhere that one of these guys played both wing and center but I can't find the story anymore. Thought is was Saad.

Also lower down in the center column are two that played on a week team but were still scorers. Cousins and Cattenacci two fer

Archived