Official 2011 NHL Draft Thread

Robviously

I was talking about the 6'7 d-men from Northeastern, Jamieson Oleksiak.

Strange, all game notes, NU's webpage, and their media guide always list him as Jamie Oleksiak. I wonder why none of those sources would ever list him under his full name (if that is in fact his whole name). Anyway, teams better stay clear of the Myers-like hype because I just don't see it. Granted I didn't see Myers at that age, but I've seen plenty of first round d-men in Hockey East and I'm not so sure on this one.

Strange, all game notes, NU's webpage, and their media guide always list him as Jamie Oleksiak. I wonder why none of those sources would ever list him under his full name (if that is in fact his whole name). Anyway, teams better stay clear of the Myers-like hype because I just don't see it. Granted I didn't see Myers at that age, but I've seen plenty of first round d-men in Hockey East and I'm not so sure on this one.

NHL.com lists him as Jamieson as well - http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=9558

To be honest, i've never seen him play, i am basing it based on scouting reports and such. So you're assessment is much better then mine. I have a friend who attends Northweastern and told me to "keep an eye out" on him earlier in their season and since i've been keeping tabs.

He is only a freshman though. It's a boy vs. men. Like Tim Kennedy scored just 4 goals as a freshman, but had 18 as a sophomore. So i give freshman a little more slack. I have heard he has a lot of flaws, positioning, one on one battles, but i have heard he's an excellent skater and a above average passer. Also, he's a very strong kid, and a very big kid, so that must be very intriguing to many teams.

NHL.com lists him as Jamieson as well - http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=9558

To be honest, i've never seen him play, i am basing it based on scouting reports and such. So you're assessment is much better then mine. I have a friend who attends Northweastern and told me to "keep an eye out" on him earlier in their season and since i've been keeping tabs.

He is only a freshman though. It's a boy vs. men. Like Tim Kennedy scored just 4 goals as a freshman, but had 18 as a sophomore. So i give freshman a little more slack. I have heard he has a lot of flaws, positioning, one on one battles, but i have heard he's an excellent skater and a above average passer. Also, he's a very strong kid, and a very big kid, so that must be very intriguing to many teams.

I can definitely buy the excuse about being a freshman, especially coupled with the fact that he wasn't on a great team. With this being a weak draft, that's only going to help his status.

First, quick question, what number our we drafting? I heard 18th but have no clue if thats true or my friends A.D.D.

If we do draft this large gentlemen who could be good (size does not = awesomeness) or a forward maybe even a center with good potential but say is rated a little lower do the sabres go for the best guy or the one they need a little more. Obviously any player we get wont help for at least 3 years but drafting a couple of centers now would replace a clearly depleted system. I am just not sure we need another defensive prospect although the other side of me says I would love to see Myers and Oleksiak on a line together, we could call them the Bash Brothers :rolleyes:

First, quick question, what number are we drafting? I heard 18th but have no clue if thats true or my friends A.D.D.

16th, I believe. The ranking is the 14 teams that missed the playoffs in order from worst to best regular season performance (with one team, NJ, moving up four spots due to winning the lottery), then the conference quarter and semi final losers (both rounds combined) in order from worst to best, then the two conference final losers with the worst first, then the SCF loser, and finally the SC champion. Since nobody above us missed the playoffs and nobody below us is left to make the conference finals, that should put us in 16th since we were the 16th worst record.

First, quick question, what number our we drafting? I heard 18th but have no clue if thats true or my friends A.D.D.

If we do draft this large gentlemen who could be good (size does not = awesomeness) or a forward maybe even a center with good potential but say is rated a little lower do the sabres go for the best guy or the one they need a little more. Obviously any player we get wont help for at least 3 years but drafting a couple of centers now would replace a clearly depleted system. I am just not sure we need another defensive prospect although the other side of me says I would love to see Myers and Oleksiak on a line together, we could call them the Bash Brothers :rolleyes:

They'll go best player available, regardless of position (with the exception of goalie, maybe). I would say that I could see them trading the pick away in some deal this offseason, but with their 2nd round pick already gone, I can't see the team going into the draft without a single pick until the 3rd.

You are probably right. However, I looked at him because a mock draft had him going one before us, so you never know.

It would be awesome to have a center that could score and drive to the net and be edgy... 'sigh' if only...

Hmmm ...

Foligno-McNeill-Kassian?

:wub:

Ryan Getzlaf v2.0. I don't think he lasts past pick 10, though. He is rising quick. Similar to Ryan Johansen, who kept climbing, but on final rank was #10 north american skater, but was chosen 4th overall by Columbus.

Ryan Getzlaf v2.0. I don't think he lasts past pick 10, though. He is rising quick. Similar to Ryan Johansen, who kept climbing, but on final rank was #10 north american skater, but was chosen 4th overall by Columbus.

His stock is rising faster than his hair line! :thumbsup:

Dude looks like a grizzled NHL vet when his helmet comes off.

McNiell is predicted to be drafted btw 8-12 on most places mock drafts. The Sabres are drafting 16th right? (I read that) So how plausible is it for us to trade down into the top 10 to get mcniell who I think we need desperately.... although knowing are luck darcy drafts a freaking defender in the first round. The more i read about the draftees the only one close to us that I want is Mcniell, kid can score and hes big, maybe we could make a play for him and throw him out on the 3/4 line next season. Best part is hes a center.

McNiell is predicted to be drafted btw 8-12 on most places mock drafts. The Sabres are drafting 16th right? (I read that) So how plausible is it for us to trade down into the top 10 to get mcniell who I think we need desperately.... although knowing are luck darcy drafts a freaking defender in the first round. The more i read about the draftees the only one close to us that I want is Mcniell, kid can score and hes big, maybe we could make a play for him and throw him out on the 3/4 line next season. Best part is hes a center.

I'd be extremely surprised if they'd bring anyone not drafted in the top 3 right onto the big club in his draft year.

I'd be fine w/ them drafting him if they can. But if they do, I don't see them rushing him up.

• 2 weeks later...

There was an interesting conversation on WGR during the 6am hour today. It doesn't look like we are going to be able to get our #1 center through free agancy. And trading for one is pretty long odds, really. If we sign an RFA it is gonna cost us 4 draft picks AND all that salary. Is that really worth it? The the morning guys on WGR brought up what maybe should have been obvious, let's get our top line elite level forward the same way nearly every other team in the league gets theirs... draft him. Or, better stated, it is probably easier and cheaper to move up to one of the top 3 spots in the draft than it will be to try to pry an established elite level player off another roster.

The main point supporting their argument is history. 18 out of 19 of all of the forwards picked in the top 3 slots over the last decade turned into elite level players. Yep, every forward but one selected in the top 3 over ten years are impact guys. Not talking D-men or goalies here because we don't need either. (they excluded Seguin and Hall cuz there isn't enough history yet.) We probably don't need to move to #1 to get our elite guy. And while this draft is supposed to be thin, there is still elite-level talent at the top few picks.

No, this won't provide immediate help to get the Cup next year but, what team gets their cornerstone for a cup run through free agency or trade anyway? The cornerstone nearly always comes from drafting elite level players. We can get players to improve the team and make us more competitve through free agency this year, but the real game changers aren't there. Oh, and by the way, look at next years UFA list. They won't be there next year either.

Anyway, I'm open to the idea. I hear Edmonton used to be hot to trot for Stafford. They need players more than they need picks right? Does Staff and our 1st get us the #1 overall? How 'bout Staff and Sekera and a pick? Could we move the same to get #2 or #3 overall and get a game changing forward?

When I consider this I wish we had collected some picks at the deadline.

Discuss....

Staff and Sekera's trade values will be dependant upon the contracts they sign/arbitrate this summer. But I am a big fan of this idea. I'd be willing to do this every year. Drafting worked for the last two champions, and we don't have to suck for 10 years to make it work this way.

No, this won't provide immediate help to get the Cup next year but, what team gets their cornerstone for a cup run through free agency or trade anyway? The cornerstone nearly always comes from drafting elite level players. We can get players to improve the team and make us more competitve through free agency this year, but the real game changers aren't there. Oh, and by the way, look at next years UFA list. They won't be there next year either.

Discuss....

I still think goaltending is key in the NHL and Miller's window remaining in his prime is limited to maybe 3 or 4 years. I believe that's why Pegs said we would win it soon (within a five year timeframe). The NHL draft isn't like in the NFL. It generally takes guys atleast their last year in juniors and a year in the AHL to develop. I know their are exceptions ie Myers, but Kassian who was a reasonably high draft choice and is still a highly regarded prospect has already spent two seasons of development and there is no guarantee he's making the squad next year. I also think it will take a decent amount to trade up to that spot. You mentioned a point about how top 3 picks are near sure fire things which I don't necessarily disagree. But why would a team like Edmonton take our later first and an inconsistent Stafford to give away this sure fire thing?

Also not sure about your 18 of the last 19 being elite. I guess we may have different definitions regarding what 'elite' is. I don't think you can consider this past rookie class elite already especially Tyler Seguin who had a whopping 11 goals and 11 assists, ranking 22nd in rookie scoring last year. I will assume it's Kyle Turris you are indicating is the one bust. Jordan Staal is good, but not sure elite. Nathan Horton has been alright, although I don't think he's lived up to his expectations. Watching him play in Oshawa I thought he would have been better than the 23 avg. goals he's scored over the previous three seasons....

I still think goaltending is key in the NHL and Miller's window remaining in his prime is limited to maybe 3 or 4 years. I believe that's why Pegs said we would win it soon (within a five year timeframe). The NHL draft isn't like in the NFL. It generally takes guys atleast their last year in juniors and a year in the AHL to develop. I know their are exceptions ie Myers, but Kassian who was a reasonably high draft choice and is still a highly regarded prospect has already spent two seasons of development and there is no guarantee he's making the squad next year. I also think it will take a decent amount to trade up to that spot. You mentioned a point about how top 3 picks are near sure fire things which I don't necessarily disagree. But why would a team like Edmonton take our later first and an inconsistent Stafford to give away this sure fire thing?

I don't know that Edmonton would, but maybe Colorado or Florida would? And it make take more than Staff and a pick. We certainly have depth at wing and D to be flexible. Edm was rumored at one time to really want Stafford. Maybe they still do? I guess it partly depends on fan pressure and how many prospects a team already has in the system. Edmonton has been lousy for a long time. If they've been any good at drafting they may already be full of prospects and need to collect some vets? I don't really know the answer to what you are asking. But the idea of moving up to grab an elite level talent is certainly intriguing.

The front office is basically a Pittsburgh front office. Piitsburgh has done the collect-high-picks-and-be-dominant thing twice in my time. It works. Wouldn't suprise me if Pegs tried to do the same without that pesky suck for 5 years downside.

Also not sure about your 18 of the last 19 being elite. I guess we may have different definitions regarding what 'elite' is. I don't think you can consider this past rookie class elite already especially Tyler Seguin who had a whopping 11 goals and 11 assists, ranking 22nd in rookie scoring last year. I will assume it's Kyle Turris you are indicating is the one bust. Jordan Staal is good, but not sure elite. Nathan Horton has been alright, although I don't think he's lived up to his expectations. Watching him play in Oshawa I thought he would have been better than the 23 avg. goals he's scored over the previous three seasons....

Not fair to rate Hall or Seguin yet. If you want to drop 2 more off the list I won't argue. That is still 16 out of 19. Find better odds anywhere else? Hell the FA market has worse odds than that.

There was an interesting conversation on WGR during the 6am hour today. It doesn't look like we are going to be able to get our #1 center through free agancy. And trading for one is pretty long odds, really. If we sign an RFA it is gonna cost us 4 draft picks AND all that salary. Is that really worth it? The the morning guys on WGR brought up what maybe should have been obvious, let's get our top line elite level forward the same way nearly every other team in the league gets theirs... draft him. Or, better stated, it is probably easier and cheaper to move up to one of the top 3 spots in the draft than it will be to try to pry an established elite level player off another roster.

The main point supporting their argument is history. 18 out of 19 of all of the forwards picked in the top 3 slots over the last decade turned into elite level players. Yep, every forward but one selected in the top 3 over ten years are impact guys. Not talking D-men or goalies here because we don't need either. (they excluded Seguin and Hall cuz there isn't enough history yet.) We probably don't need to move to #1 to get our elite guy. And while this draft is supposed to be thin, there is still elite-level talent at the top few picks.

Anyway, I'm open to the idea. I hear Edmonton used to be hot to trot for Stafford. They need players more than they need picks right? Does Staff and our 1st get us the #1 overall? How 'bout Staff and Sekera and a pick? Could we move the same to get #2 or #3 overall and get a game changing forward?

When I consider this I wish we had collected some picks at the deadline.

Discuss....

I wouldn't break the bank to move up in this draft....I would rather have Bujstag, Howden, or Shwartz taken in the second tier last year than anyone outside of the top 3 this year.

Nugent-Hopkins is probably a top 3 pick this year...and missed the cut for team Canada just 6 months ago. He's good. But I don't think he's a generational talent.

I wouldn't break the bank to move up in this draft....I would rather have Bujstag, Howden, or Shwartz taken in the second tier last year than anyone outside of the top 3 this year.

Nugent-Hopkins is probably a top 3 pick this year...and missed the cut for team Canada just 6 months ago. He's good. But I don't think he's a generational talent.

Do they have to ba a generational talent to make it worthwhile? Right now we'd all about give our left nut for Brad Richards and he certainly isn't a generational talent.

I'm not aiming for the next Ovechekin or Crosby. I'd be happy with Matt Duchene or Eric Staal.

Archived