Official 2011 NHL Draft Thread

Robviously

It was mentioned in the last couple days that the front office had narrowed down their first round choice to one player. Was Armia their guy??

I'm pretty sure that it was Couturier. Kevin Devine mentioned having a deal almost in place to move into the top 10 that was eliminated by the trades the day before. I said it earlier in this thread, but I think that they were looking at trading with Columbus to try and get Couturier until Philly traded them Carter. The Sabres couldn't really beat that deal.

Ooops!

I was at every Finn game for the WJC.

Arima wasn't out of place, he just didn't make much of an impact in the tournament.

Admittedly, I wasn't thrilled with the pick...however....

The kid was 17 years old playing with 20 year olds.

What I liked....he is athletic (the Finn team was the most athletic in the tourney).

The joke at the tourney was they were the team with the most Finns but the least Finnish.

I think I would have been happier with a center that looked like he was closer to the NHL, but

the upside on this kid is huge. It just may take an extra year to see him.

I was at every Finn game for the WJC.

Arima wasn't out of place, he just didn't make much of an impact in the tournament.

Admittedly, I wasn't thrilled with the pick...however....

The kid was 17 years old playing with 20 year olds.

What I liked....he is athletic (the Finn team was the most athletic in the tourney).

The joke at the tourney was they were the team with the most Finns but the least Finnish.

I think I would have been happier with a center that looked like he was closer to the NHL, but

the upside on this kid is huge. It just may take an extra year to see him.

The consistency/effort/backchecking/work ethic issues about the guy are a huge red flag. On the other hand, he's 17. You can't judge someone's adult work ethic and determination based on their whiny teenage years. Plus, if you were one of the most offensively gifted players in your country, playing defense (and, really, doing anything other than scoring goals) would seem boring to a 17 year old.

He's the only player we could have taken at #16 who could turn out to be a superstar -- his moves in the highlight videos are WAY better than those of other prospects in their highlight reels. You can't have too much firepower up front. Contenders have guys who can take over a game and score big goals. This is exactly the type of player our organization needs. The drawback? For all the extra potential, he also has a significantly higher risk of never making the NHL at all.

The consistency/effort/backchecking/work ethic issues about the guy are a huge red flag. On the other hand, he's 17. You can't judge someone's adult work ethic and determination based on their whiny teenage years. Plus, if you were one of the most offensively gifted players in your country, playing defense (and, really, doing anything other than scoring goals) would seem boring to a 17 year old.

He's the only player we could have taken at #16 who could turn out to be a superstar -- his moves in the highlight videos are WAY better than those of other prospects in their highlight reels. You can't have too much firepower up front. Contenders have guys who can take over a game and score big goals. This is exactly the type of player our organization needs. The drawback? For all the extra potential, he also has a significantly higher risk of never making the NHL at all.

I think that is well-stated. I actually didn't mind his defensive efforts so much....the Finns played really disciplined games. So I have less defensive worries than an offensive kid getting drafted out of the Q.

The kid is already a good skater, but his center of gravity is so high that he is going to get his clocked cleaned if he doesn't keep his head on a swivel.

And it was nice to see that blond again!!!! Wow she's pretty.

It was mentioned in the last couple days that the front office had narrowed down their first round choice to one player. Was Armia their guy??

Just watched the Vs. broadcast, seemed as though they knew the Sabres were high on Armia before the pick. Seems like he may have been their guy.

Just watched the Vs. broadcast, seemed as though they knew the Sabres were high on Armia before the pick. Seems like he may have been their guy.

I got that impression too. It almost seemed like they brought up the "they haven't drafted a euro in 5 years" stuff because they knew that was about to change.

• 3 weeks later...

I was excited to hear that Cattenacci was training with Gary Roberts...

This was a Duthie piece last year about Gary Roberts camp..

http://tsn.ca/columnists/james_duthie/?id=335457

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/34950-The-Straight-Edge-Stamkos-and-others-thrive-with-Roberts-regimen.html

Stamkos and Skinner trained with him last year.

Archived