Official 2011 NHL Draft Thread

Robviously

Some trade rumors around the league

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/124167893.html?

"Edmonton: Owns the No. 1 overall pick but would like to trade for another top-10 pick. Names available include Ales Hemsky, Tom Gilbert, Sam Gagner and Andrew Cogliano."

Even though it makes little sense in terms of what the Sabres need, I would love if they could pull off a trade for Hemsky. I know not many here will agree so I just want to reinforce that I KNOW HEMSKY IS NOT WHAT THE SABRES NEED / WHO THEY WILL TARGET. I know we're logjammed at forward as it is. I know Edmonton wants a Top 10 pick, not #16. Etc. Etc.

Hemsky is just one of those non-Sabres players that I've come to like over the years. He's been playing "Connolly seasons" (that is, an abbreviated season of between 20-40 games :lol:) the past few years and frankly hasn't lived up to the hype around him or his contract, so I don't think anyone is going to break the bank paying for him. No doubt in my mind that #16 and one or two of our prospective dmen could get the deal done.

Should be interesting to see where Hemsky winds up. Connolly, too.

The NHL site has an article of the The best of the first round, from No. 1 to No. 30

At #16 - where the Sabres are currently picking - a pretty good spot for the Sabres in the past:

No. 16: Dave Andreychuk (Buffalo, 1982) -- At 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds, Andreychuk made life miserable for goaltenders for more than two decades. He was a big scorer in the first half of his career, piling up 30 or more goals seven times with Buffalo and getting 53 for Toronto in 1993-94. After that, he remained a consistent scorer for another decade while improving his all-round game. Andreychuk also became a leader -- he was the captain of the Tampa Bay Lightning when they won the 2004 Stanley Cup. He retired with 640 goals and 1,338 points in 1,639 games.

Runners-up: Markus Naslund (1991), Martin Biron (1995)

Up and coming: Colton Gillies (2007), Nick Leddy (2009)

Disappointment: Ty Jones (1997)

Just a guess here but I see Philly most likely trading someone at the draft to make cap space. Because of tagging rules they need to make room before they sign Bryz (reportedly at 7yrs/50mill)

I think you're right. Also some teams will need to find players to reach the salary floor. It's a strange dynamic.

I think you're right. Also some teams will need to find players to reach the salary floor. It's a strange dynamic.

I've heard Jeff Carter to Columbus for their 8th pick and maybe a player. Jackets GM Howson under a lot of pressure to get better faster. They recently fired all of the top scouting guys.

which means pommers can be traded... or hecht or a bunch of guys on this team that have useful skills but just dont belong here anymore. After hearing the Kevin Dineen interview I would like it if we traded up and took couturier but i dont think that is happening although Dineen made it sound like anything was possible and that if they can trade up to get someone really good they will. 2 days to go and the suspense is killing me.

Brilliant interview today with Kevin Devine. I would love to see a list of the 35 players they brought in for internal combine.

Great to hear that they did on-ice drills.

He mentioned a few times they arrived at their #1 targeted player due to some new information. I wonder what this new info could be, it'd have to be something regarding an injury update wouldn't it? Wonder if Matt Puempel, who fell down the draft board due to his hip injury, could be the guy.

which means pommers can be traded... or hecht or a bunch of guys on this team that have useful skills but just dont belong here anymore. After hearing the Kevin Dineen interview I would like it if we traded up and took couturier but i dont think that is happening although Dineen made it sound like anything was possible and that if they can trade up to get someone really good they will. 2 days to go and the suspense is killing me.

Cool to hear our former AHL coach is also running our draft. With coaching the panthers, I didn't think he would have time. :rolleyes:

He mentioned a few times they arrived at their #1 targeted player due to some new information. I wonder what this new info could be, it'd have to be something regarding an injury update wouldn't it? Wonder if Matt Puempel, who fell down the draft board due to his hip injury, could be the guy.

I wouldn't think so.

Scott Hartnell anyone?

lw, with NTC and is producing on the level of stafford... pass.

Hartnell is a smaller version of Zach Kassian. What's not to like?

I'd gladly upsize the LW with a guy like Hartnell. 25 goals and 30 assists on average? I'd swap Gerbe's spot in the lineup for Hartnell in a heartbeat. He'd give Derek Roy alot more room to move.

If the Sabres truly care about winning the cup in the next three years, then they cannot sit pretty with the 16th overall pick. Either trade up to get an impact player that can make a difference in the near future or trade it so we can get a proven center/top 4 defenseman. Taking s guy that won't play a minute in Buffalo for another three years doesn't help us.

168 hits to 53 is not the same level.

I am in a terrible mood, so if you wanna NITPICK, I said PRODUCING. PRODUCING ='s POINTS. I didnt say ANYTHING ABOUT HITS. Do i think Hartnell would help? YES. Would I trade more than a pick for him, no.

Now on to the serious matter of what Hartnell would mean: Our LW couldnt hurt with Hartnell on it but since Ennis is going into his sophmore year and Vanek is Vanek I am not sure Hartnell would be a guy I would target considering our issues elsewhere, he would be a 2/3rd line player every day of the week. Ennis' potential is unknown but I do know he had 49 points and should be on our 2nd line. Hartnell on the 3rd line with Kassian and Goose would be fun to watch, but like I say, more than a pick for hartnell (not our 1st) is using valuable assets to get a position you currently do not need, but you would gain a player you potentially do. Its a catch 22, in a way.

WE as a Team CAN NOT get EVERYTHING we need this summer. We need as a team to prioritize and hartnell is not a priority was my point. If you can trade a 3rd or next years 2nd for him... sure why not, but outside of that, its foolish.

I am in a terrible mood, so if you wanna NITPICK, I said PRODUCING. PRODUCING ='s POINTS. I didnt say ANYTHING ABOUT HITS. Do i think Hartnell would help? YES. Would I trade more than a pick for him, no.

Now on to the serious matter of what Hartnell would mean: Our LW couldnt hurt with Hartnell on it but since Ennis is going into his sophmore year and Vanek is Vanek I am not sure Hartnell would be a guy I would target considering our issues elsewhere, he would be a 2/3rd line player every day of the week. Ennis' potential is unknown but I do know he had 49 points and should be on our 2nd line. Hartnell on the 3rd line with Kassian and Goose would be fun to watch, but like I say, more than a pick for hartnell (not our 1st) is using valuable assets to get a position you currently do not need, but you would gain a player you potentially do. Its a catch 22, in a way.

Sorry about your mood. Not trying to worsen it, but I disagree with your estimation of production. If it was all about points, we'd be a force already. I contest that production also means physical presence on the ice, which creates lanes, separation, and momentum. THAT is the production we are missing on this team.

Sorry about your mood. Not trying to worsen it, but I disagree with your estimation of production. If it was all about points, we'd be a force already. I contest that production also means physical presence on the ice, which creates lanes, separation, and momentum. THAT is the production we are missing on this team.

I am not sure, but there is something to what your saying, however ennis creates seperation with his speed and vanek uses both. I like Hartnell and would love him. But if it impedes us getting something we need than no, absolutely not and I think it would involve a 1st. Or you can say do you want to add 4.2mil to your lw for the next 2 years? its 4.2 mil you can not spend on defense or centers.

WE as a Team CAN NOT get EVERYTHING we need this summer. We need as a team to prioritize and hartnell is not a priority was my point. If you can trade a 3rd or next years 2nd for him... sure why not, but outside of that, its foolish.

This team needs forwards in the worst way. The right side is a complete joke and you have only one legit top six forward in Vanek. Maybe Ennis will join Vanek this year making it two. If a player like Hartnell becomes available you have to take a shot. He may not be available next season especially if Philly does move him. Not to forget how poorly Regier spends money. There maybe no money to pick up a Harnell next year. Just look at the $8 mil in cap space that Regier has wasted since Pegula took over.

Archived