Official 2011 NHL Draft Thread

Robviously

Do they have to ba a generational talent to make it worthwhile? Right now we'd all about give our left nut for Brad Richards and he certainly isn't a generational talent.

I'm not aiming for the next Ovechekin or Crosby. I'd be happy with Matt Duchene or Eric Staal.

Not to get lost in the semantics of "Generational Talent"........but I don't see a Matt Duchene or an Eric Staal either. At least not yet. I don't think anybody in this draft goes right to the NHL.

Not to get lost in the semantics of "Generational Talent"........but I don't see a Matt Duchene or an Eric Staal either. At least not yet. I don't think anybody in this draft goes right to the NHL.

What? You don't have time in your busy day for a semantics argument? :D

And I don't think anyone on the radio (or me for that matter) proposes this idea as a quick fix (ie. right to the NHL). It is an argument that getting a top flight forawrd is more likely this way, even if there is a 2-3 year wait for him to be on NHL ice. Like I said in the OP, next season doesn't have any top centers seeing UFA status either. We either trade or draft for one. And trades for top centers are few and far between. Trades for top 3 draft spots seem like a more reasonable scenario maybe?

I'm not married to the idea but I think it has merit.

And I don't think anyone on the radio (or me for that matter) proposes this idea as a quick fix (ie. right to the NHL). It is an argument that getting a top flight forawrd is more likely this way, even if there is a 2-3 year wait for him to be on NHL ice. Like I said in the OP, next season doesn't have any top centers seeing UFA status either. We either trade or draft for one. And trades for top centers are few and far between. Trades for top 3 draft spots seem like a more reasonable scenario maybe?

I wouldn't be so sure about that one. It hasn't happened a single time post-lockout. As far as I can tell, the last time was when Pittsburgh moved up to #1 on 2003 to draft Fleury. Now it might have a lot to do with some deeper drafts in recent years, but teams definitely value those picks much higher now than ever before.

I don't know that Edmonton would, but maybe Colorado or Florida would? And it make take more than Staff and a pick. We certainly have depth at wing and D to be flexible. Edm was rumored at one time to really want Stafford. Maybe they still do? I guess it partly depends on fan pressure and how many prospects a team already has in the system. Edmonton has been lousy for a long time. If they've been any good at drafting they may already be full of prospects and need to collect some vets? I don't really know the answer to what you are asking. But the idea of moving up to grab an elite level talent is certainly intriguing.

The front office is basically a Pittsburgh front office. Piitsburgh has done the collect-high-picks-and-be-dominant thing twice in my time. It works. Wouldn't suprise me if Pegs tried to do the same without that pesky suck for 5 years downside.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is intriguing. Just throwing out reasons why the trade market may cost less and/or more fully address our neids if you know what I mean.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is intriguing. Just throwing out reasons why the trade market may cost less and/or more fully address our neids if you know what I mean.

I know what you mean. And I don't agree with it. But, that is the nature of the interwebs. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't be so sure about that one. It hasn't happened a single time post-lockout. As far as I can tell, the last time was when Pittsburgh moved up to #1 on 2003 to draft Fleury. Now it might have a lot to do with some deeper drafts in recent years, but teams definitely value those picks much higher now than ever before.

That's true. I remember GM's saying post lock out that in a salary cap era the value of draft picks go up because you can sometimes get good production while they're under their rookie wage scale.

:lol:

Interesting idea. Here's the thing though...moving up to get a pick is an abstract idea in itself...the moment you chose a player ....that's your player.

In this draft it would mean moving up to get Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Sean Courtier, or Jon Huberdeau (if you are trying to address the center position). Now those players might have nice careers....but if I'm drafting in the3 top 10 this year (Edmonton, NJ), I'm not too excited.

No it is not worth it Weave. Get two number one defenders (one top 10), a big, young play making center with potential for the Vanek line (have Roy center the 2 line/if you do not trade him) and a couple of big physical wingers who can play d and forecheck . Listen to offers for everybody but Miller and Vanek. Use the cap room, trades and picks to make the deal. It all starts with resigning a few guys for the right money so that you enhance their value in the trade market. This year..d is the easiest and fastest way to dramatically improve this team. It needs better d, more of a physical presence, and power play improvement. If your young playmaking center ( a 2 on his previous team or possibly a really good 3 on a loaded team) can draw a few and play point on the #1 pp line all the better.The pp needs a guy on the point who sees the ice and can deliver the puck on net with some skill and consistency at a speed required by the circumstance.(a properly placed thirty mph shot on net is at times better than a wild 100mph head level shot that kills your guy in the slot.(Myers has yet to discover this/he would not be on my pp until he does/ i can not believe they have not schooled him on this aspect of the pp )

No it is not worth it Weave. Get two number one defenders (one top 10), a big, young play making center with potential for the Vanek line (have Roy center the 2 line/if you do not trade him) and a couple of big physical wingers who can play d and forecheck . Listen to offers for everybody but Miller and Vanek. Use the cap room, trades and picks to make the deal. It all starts with resigning a few guys for the right money so that you enhance their value in the trade market. This year..d is the easiest and fastest way to dramatically improve this team. It needs better d, more of a physical presence, and power play improvement. If your young playmaking center ( a 2 on his previous team or possibly a really good 3 on a loaded team) can draw a few and play point on the #1 pp line all the better.The pp needs a guy on the point who sees the ice and can deliver the puck on net with some skill and consistency at a speed required by the circumstance.(a properly placed thirty mph shot on net is at times better than a wild 100mph head level shot that kills your guy in the slot.(Myers has yet to discover this/he would not be on my pp until he does/ i can not believe they have not schooled him on this aspect of the pp )

Waldo, where are you going to get that big, young play making center with potential for the Vanek line? You won't find him in free agency. Do you think another team is going to just up and give him away when we offer a couple of our mediocre-to-decent young players? Those guys don't grow on trees and the teams that have them tend to keep them. That is what this idea is getting at, another way of going out and getting a young play making forward with potential. If they can get a center the way you are describing I am all for it. I just think that it is equally unlikely to do this as the idea I floated.

As for the rest of your post, we can still do all of that AND make the trade to move up in the draft. Good powerplay D men are available as free agents in a couple of months.

Waldo, where are you going to get that big, young play making center with potential for the Vanek line? You won't find him in free agency. Do you think another team is going to just up and give him away when we offer a couple of our mediocre-to-decent young players? Those guys don't grow on trees and the teams that have them tend to keep them. That is what this idea is getting at, another way of going out and getting a young play making forward with potential. If they can get a center the way you are describing I am all for it. I just think that it is equally unlikely to do this as the idea I floated.

As for the rest of your post, we can still do all of that AND make the trade to move up in the draft. Good powerplay D men are available as free agents in a couple of months.

I think you are right about free agency....and

I'm usually a draft guy...but I think the best way this year is trade.

I think teams like Philly, LA, Colorodo, and a few teams with cap issues need to make moves.

I think you are right about free agency....and

I'm usually a draft guy...but I think the best way this year is trade.

I think teams like Philly, LA, Colorodo, and a few teams with cap issues need to make moves.

Truthfully, I'll be OK with whatever method results in a #1 center coming to Buffalo. I don't know that LA is going to be willing to give up a center, but Colorado and Philly sure have enough to spare.

BTW- Spector's Hockey had some tidbit about Carter being shopped for a goalie. If true, we don't have the goods they want unless Miller is on the table.

we probably wouldnt be in this spot if darcy stopped using all our draft picks on defenders and wingers... Look at the prospect ratings 10 or more of the top 20 are defenders... seriously when was the last time we used a 1 rounder on a center? (true center not a winger who could play center)

we probably wouldnt be in this spot if darcy stopped using all our draft picks on defenders and wingers... Look at the prospect ratings 10 or more of the top 20 are defenders... seriously when was the last time we used a 1 rounder on a center? (true center not a winger who could play center)

Who are all these centers they've been passing up on? I guess you could go back to 2006 and say they should have taken Berglund over Persson. Maybe Zajac in 2004 over Stafford? Maybe something previous to the 2004 draft where I stopped looking?

Who are all these centers they've been passing up on? I guess you could go back to 2006 and say they should have taken Berglund over Persson. Maybe something previous to the 2004 draft where I stopped looking?

the point is we dont have any top center prospects. Its not about who they should have taken before its that we didnt take any. Look at the second round it does not really get much better. Centers have seemingly been ignored.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Buffalo_Sabres_draft_picks

and we got zagrapan in 2005 in the first round... i said who? as well

the point is we dont have any top center prospects. Its not about who they should have taken before its that we didnt take any. Look at the second round it does not really get much better. Centers have seemingly been ignored.

Point is they shouldnt just take one just to have one if they don't feel he is going to be any good.

Point is they shouldnt just take one just to have one if they don't feel he is going to be any good.

I agree there, but you cant just not draft any because you think that no of them will be good. We didnt even draft them in the second round. There is just slim pickins to even try and get someone to step up. In 2006 we could have drafted Berglund but drafted another defensmen and thats just an example. We need to draft a center.

I agree there, but you cant just not draft any because you think that no of them will be good. We didnt even draft them in the second round. There is just slim pickins to even try and get someone to step up. In 2006 we could have drafted Berglund but drafted another defensmen and thats just an example. We need to draft a center.

The fact that there are not enough "true" number one centers to satisfy demand should answer your question.

To be fair, why would the Sabres be drafting Centermen before the 2008 Draft? We had Drury/Breire/Roy/Goose/Connolly all age 30 or younger.

2008 we picked a center (Adam) in the 2nd round after drafting the Tylers in the first (they made the right decision)

2009 Kassian in the 1st round, (no significant centers taken afterwards) no 2nd round pick

2010 Pysyk in the 1st round, (no significant centers taken afterwards) no 2nd round pick

If we had sucked a little more we could have Tevares and Seguin.

To be fair, why would the Sabres be drafting Centermen before the 2008 Draft? We had Drury/Breire/Roy/Goose/Connolly all age 30 or younger.

2008 we picked a center (Adam) in the 2nd round after drafting the Tylers in the first (they made the right decision)

2009 Kassian in the 1st round, (no significant centers taken afterwards) no 2nd round pick

2010 Pysyk in the 1st round, (no significant centers taken afterwards) no 2nd round pick

If we had sucked a little more we could have Tevares and Seguin.

Because even post 2007 where again we didnt draft a center, the team had a low number of centers within the organization. I mean after roy we had gaustad and that was it. So it would have still made ssense to draft a center in an earlier round. Anyways I just think we should maybe focus on that this draft to help ourselves n the future. Thats all i meant originally.

Since 2006 we have drafted: 5 centers. 12 def. 3LW and 4 rw and 4 goalies if anyone is interested. Since drury and briere left we have drafted 3 centers.

Edit: Does not include 2010 draft class

And you are all right hind sight is 20/20 but we now know for this draft what we need.

Because even post 2007 where again we didnt draft a center, the team had a low number of centers within the organization. I mean after roy we had gaustad and that was it. So it would have still made ssense to draft a center in an earlier round. Anyways I just think we should maybe focus on that this draft to help ourselves n the future. Thats all i meant originally.

And you are all right hind sight is 20/20 but we now know for this draft what we need.

Right wingers!!! :nana:

I don't think you can draft that way in the NHL since the players you're drafting won't touch the ice for your team for another 3-4 years minimum. By then who knows what your team needs will be. You take the player who you feel will turn out to be the best.

I don't think you can draft that way in the NHL since the players you're drafting won't touch the ice for your team for another 3-4 years minimum. By then who knows what your team needs will be. You take the player who you feel will turn out to be the best.

I think this works for Wingers and D, but with Centers and Goalies, these are positions that are specialized enough that you really need some foresight in the draft.

It's definitely worth considering. The salary cap makes the draft extremely important nowadays because it is so difficult to acquire impact players through trade or UFA. The Sabres also happen to have an amazing development system in place right now. That said, if the Sabres trade up, the dude had better be ready to play on day 1 because they would be vacating some important roster spots.

I'm not so sure this would be the year to make that move - kind of like how it would have been nice for the Bills to have drafted a stud QB with their awesome #3 pick, but there just wasn't one available.

Use your current draft picks. Sign the guys you need for the right money, then post draft when you can, trade for a young two or even the right three playmaker center Weave.I did not say free agency or draft. Possibly a ahl kid ready to come up on a team already deep, or a kid in Sweden i can think of or one or two in Finland. No stone unturned. Take a close look at the German league, 1 and two. .I did say everybody on the table? I am looking for a playmaking center with potential and size. There are plenty of names out there. Are they available? who knows until you ask? Make the effort. The defenders are priority one and much easier to deal with in FA and the trade market this year, the center is priority two.. For the right non FA d I would put Myers and a couple of others in play.Would have to be good. For the center Pom, Staff,(if you can sign him right)Ennis et al....plus whatever it takes . Just like every year in the NHL .Open for buisness to all offers . 2D and a center. The focus being the d and the center if the right deal hits you in the face.If not tread water and wait. I can understand drafting them but that takes time, there are no ready to go guys out there this year, and i hope the owner is too impatient for that.

Archived