Official 2011 NHL Draft Thread

Robviously

We can still be excited about hockey this spring/summer even though we haven't won a playoff series since 2007. The 2011 NHL Draft starts June 24th!

I've seen a couple mock drafts that have the Sabres taking Joel Armia from Finland: Hockey News Article. He was in Buffalo in December for the WJC, but the Sabres have been reluctant to draft Europeans after getting burned a few times in the past.

Another guy to keep an eye on is Niklas Jensen who is from Denmark but already playing in the OHL for Oshawa: Link. Size, skill, and already playing the North American game.

I'm hoping the Sabres draft for offense in the first round. They already have plenty of defensemen on the farm, and a trio of power forwards turning pro next fall in Kassian, Foligno, and (hopefully) Riley Boychuk.

I had a good look at Arima....can't say I liked him much.

I wasn't blown away by what I've read about Armia but I don't think he's the pick since the Sabres have been focusing on North Americans the last three years and I don't think that's an accident.

I like everything I've read about Jensen, especially the fact that he changed continents as a 17 year old to play hockey and did awesome here.

Mark Shiefele also sounds like he'd be a perfect addition to our farm.

And, yes, I wish we had a 2nd round pick right about now.

You bring Boychuk a lot. You realize that he is a 7th round pick and a likely lifetime AHL'er at best.

Probably, but the Sabres would be wise to sign him and see if he can develop into something. He's 6'5" and the scariest prospect we have after Kassian. I don't see why he can't develop into a 4th liner/enforcer. Wouldn't we want a guy like that when we're building around smaller guys like Ennis, Gerbe, and Roy?

Trade the pick. We have tons of prospects and should be a player in free agent market (not just this summer but future too) so we don't need such loaded list of kids. Even if we trade Adam or Kassian, so be it.

Tons of prospects? Not in the forward ranks. I can name all the guys in Portland or in the juniors who would be considered "scoring line" forwards...

Adam

Sundher

Kassian(maybe)

That's it. The draft should be all about forwards(especially centers) who are at least 6'0" tall.

Tons of prospects? Not in the forward ranks. I can name all the guys in Portland or in the juniors who would be considered "scoring line" forwards...

Adam

Sundher

Kassian(maybe)

That's it. The draft should be all about forwards(especially centers) who are at least 6'0" tall.

Foligno should be a NHL player as well, but yeah he isn't scoring type either. But, you may have forgotten Ennis and Gerbe, both pretty young. They are not "prospects" but they are not veterans, which is what i was trying to say.

Trade the pick. We have tons of prospects and should be a player in free agent market (not just this summer but future too) so we don't need such loaded list of kids. Even if we trade Adam or Kassian, so be it.

This is exactly what I was going to say. If they're serious about adding some talent to this roster, that pick is one of the key assets that is going to come into play. It's a weak draft in general, but teams are still going to value a 1st rounder.

There will be value at the pick....there is a lot of talent, but very little top end talent.

I think the most likely scenario is the Sabres make their move on draft day (not during free agency) If they package picks and players to pick up a center I would be happy.

I vote we draft the best center over 6ft left in the first round. In the 3 round we should draft the best center left over 6ft. In the 4th round we should draft the best center left over 6ft. Then after that draft who ever.

It is hard to draft for need in the NHL draft. Most of these kids will be more than 3 years out from making any impact.

Example...Zack Kassian was a 2009 pick...it's 2011 now.....and he'll probably spend a year or better in Portland, and he was first round pick.

It is hard to draft for need in the NHL draft. Most of these kids will be more than 3 years out from making any impact.

Example...Zack Kassian was a 2009 pick...it's 2011 now.....and he'll probably spend a year or better in Portland, and he was first round pick.

I realize that, Gerbe was drafted in 2005 for example but we dont even have guys other than what Adam? we are talking about. We just have drafted to many wings and we need to just draft centers to make up for a wealth of wings and dmen.

Unlike the NFL draft, the later rounds can often turn up good players that can play significant roles. Dont discount the later rounds especially since the draft picks are usually a few years away they can really develop over the time they are drafted to when they turn pro. With football and basketball, those players usually can have an immediate impact. Zetterberg 7th round pick for example.

Definitely need to stcok up down the middle. But can use the picks to get some guys now through trade. Hoping we get a trade for someone now on draft day.

I'll be pretty upset if the Sabres don't trade their first rounder. I'm not real educated on many of the prospects in this years draft but I understand that it's weak compared to past years... that #1 pick should be a big component in a trade for a center or at least a scoring line winger (one that produces). It may even be instrumental in moving, say, the Pominville contract (not that I really expect Pominville to be in play w/ his injury :angry: but we can dream, right? ). A first rounder could help ease the pain of taking on an overpriced player like Pominville for a team in the re-building process like Toronto or Florida... maybe even Atlanta? I mean, those team's don't necessarily have #1 centers for us to get in return, but shedding that salary would be a step forward and there's still skilled players we could get.

I'll be pretty upset if the Sabres don't trade their first rounder. I'm not real educated on many of the prospects in this years draft but I understand that it's weak compared to past years... that #1 pick should be a big component in a trade for a center or at least a scoring line winger (one that produces). It may even be instrumental in moving, say, the Pominville contract (not that I really expect Pominville to be in play w/ his injury :angry: but we can dream, right? ). A first rounder could help ease the pain of taking on an overpriced player like Pominville for a team in the re-building process like Toronto or Florida... maybe even Atlanta? I mean, those team's don't necessarily have #1 centers for us to get in return, but shedding that salary would be a step forward and there's still skilled players we could get.

Move Pommer? I think he is a solid defensive forward who can get some points. Granted you could do better but he isn't a terrible componet to have. TC is gonna be gone and we will need the stability on the PK.

Plus his salary doesn't count until he plays.

Move Pommer? I think he is a solid defensive forward who can get some points. Granted you could do better but he isn't a terrible componet to have. TC is gonna be gone and we will need the stability on the PK.

Plus his salary doesn't count until he plays.

Many Sabres fans think we should move Pominville (second in points on the team) for nothing/anything in order to free up cap space so that the team can spend money on this year's terrible group of free agents.

Makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

Couple of guys i really like in this draft -

1. Mario Lucia - LW - 6'2 forward from Minnesota HS. Hard worker. Similar to a Derek Stepan in terms of talent. Very smart hockey kid, has tremendous vision.

2. Lucas Lessio - LW - 6'1 This kid imo has a chance to become one of the better players picked in this draft. Great skill set, amazing hands, great speed, and outstanding 1 v 1 skill. He's a "gamer". Also to be known as a warrior on the boards. Back checking and laziness in own end are two flaws to his game, but i think every single kid in any draft has a flaw that needs to be worked on.

3. Travis Ewanyk - LW - About 6'feet tall, he plays with current Sabres prospect Pysyk. He isn't very good, and his offensive game has a ceiling, but, this kid is clutch, plays big in big games, he always plays 120%, could be the next Ryan Callahan. He may not make it as 1st round (although i do think he'll be late 1st), he will def go early in the second. You just cant pass up on a guy with his energy, his heart, his work ethic and he had a very strong playoff run for his team in the WHL. His offensive numbers don't scream out NHLer but he has more offensive skill then his stats show.

Btw, its pure coincidence the 3 "sleepers" i truly love in this draft are all LW.

Also this kid-

-Blake Coleman - C - A Texas kid, played in the USHL this past season, will be a mid-draft pickup. His passing is unreal and next season he will play for Miami of Ohio. He's a scoring machine and always has been his entire life. Great passer but also is a very accurate shooter. In the USHL, he was the top scorer, by like 14 points, the highest margin to win the scoring title since 1999. He's 5'10 and 210 pounds, will go into the corners and does fight from time to time. He is far from soft. Low risk, great reward with this kid.

Many Sabres fans think we should move Pominville (second in points on the team) for nothing/anything in order to free up cap space so that the team can spend money on this year's terrible group of free agents.

Makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

Right there with you. Now, a trade for a real contributing player, I would consider; it would depend on the return. But there's little sense, to me, in a Pominville salary dump.

Those who observe that drafting for current need isn't realistic this year are correct. They should trade that first-round pick (possibly in a package) for a good player if they can, and if not, use the draft to stock the system. Immediate help is only going to come through free agency or trade.

Adam

Sundher

Kassian(maybe)

I agree. Draft natural Centers, left wingers who can play center and right wingers who can play center. And when you are done, go out on the free agent market and get some nasty centers like the 'Mike Richards from Philly'-type.

Centers, Centers, Centers, Centers

I agree. Draft natural Centers, left wingers who can play center and right wingers who can play center. And when you are done, go out on the free agent market and get some nasty centers like the 'Mike Richards from Philly'-type.

Centers, Centers, Centers, Centers

My favorite move would be putting together a package for Paul Stastny.

My favorite move would be putting together a package for Paul Stastny.

You and I are on the same page. Stasny is a guy I want to see Buffalo go after when the trading ramps up.

Archived