Official 2011 NHL Draft Thread

Robviously

This team needs forwards in the worst way. The right side is a complete joke and you have only one legit top six forward in Vanek. Maybe Ennis will join Vanek this year making it two. If a player like Hartnell becomes available you have to take a shot. He may not be available next season especially if Philly does move him. Not to forget how poorly Regier spends money. There maybe no money to pick up a Harnell next year. Just look at the $8 mil in cap space that Regier has wasted since Pegula took over.

I disagree with you assesment of the stafford contract. I also want to remind ppl next year ennis, and myers need re-upping

I disagree with you assesment of the stafford contract. I also want to remind ppl next year ennis, and myers need re-upping

You won't in a year from now.

I would have rather seen some of the money thrown away on Boyes and Stafford go to a mega long term deal for Myers.

My gut tells me there won't be a trade for a center in the next week and a half. As much as I want it to happen, I don't think there will be centers traded this offseason. They are just too valuable and the GM's owning good ones know it. The cap increase is going to make it much easier to keep these players signed.

I say that to make the point that our #1 pick probably won't be moved to get in a center. Our center aquisition will likely come through FA. But.... we can still move that #1 pick to improve the team. And I think a guy like Hartnell is just what the doctor ordered. Having Vanek, Ennis, and Hartnell patrolling the left side would be damned nice. And, depending on who's centering the #3 line, it could make the #2 and #3 lines virtually the same in terms of impact on the game.

And, down the road, who's gonna mess with a team that has Hartnell, Kassian, Foligno, and McNabb on it? Lucic, who? :P

My gut tells me there won't be a trade for a center in the next week and a half. As much as I want it to happen, I don't think there will be centers traded this offseason. They are just too valuable and the GM's owning good ones know it. The cap increase is going to make it much easier to keep these players signed.

I say that to make the point that our #1 pick probably won't be moved to get in a center. Our center aquisition will likely come through FA. But.... we can still move that #1 pick to improve the team. And I think a guy like Hartnell is just what the doctor ordered. Having Vanek, Ennis, and Hartnell patrolling the left side would be damned nice. And, depending on who's centering the #3 line, it could make the #2 and #3 lines virtually the same in terms of impact on the game.

And, down the road, who's gonna mess with a team that has Hartnell, Kassian, Foligno, and McNabb on it? Lucic, who? :P

It's about making this team hard to play against. Teams must love playing the Sabres because they don't have to wash their uniforms after. Cody McCormick is a tough forward, sadly Gerbe is the second toughest forward. Not a slam on Gerbe just pointing out that a player that is 5' 2" shouldn't be your #2 tough guy.

[/b]

It's about making this team hard to play against. Teams must love playing the Sabres because they don't have to wash their uniforms after. Cody McCormick is a tough forward, sadly Gerbe is the second toughest forward. Not a slam on Gerbe just pointing out that a player that is 5' 2" shouldn't be your #2 tough guy.

5'5" and I like his moxy, and Weber is the toughest guy on the team IMO and I think it would be better to trade up for a center in this years draft than trade our pick away for a 3rd line lw. But again I do understand the counter argument.

5'5" and I like his moxy, and Weber is the toughest guy on the team IMO and I think it would be better to trade up for a center in this years draft than trade our pick away for a 3rd line lw. But again I do understand the counter argument.

Gerbe is 5' 5" like I am 210lbs :lol:

[/b]

I think there is more than one way to build a team that is hard to play against. Loads of speed and skill is hard to play against and has proven successful too. IMO Vancouver isn't done with Cup runs and they are built that way. But unless you draft a bunch of stars and lock them up while they are young the salary cap doesn't really allow for that kind of roster stocking. Boston built the other kind of tough to play against and did it from scratch in 4 years. I think a guy like Hartnell would be a good start towards the sort of hard to play against that Boston just won with.

Did you happen to read chz's link from yesterday about trade rumors? Columbus is willing to trade their #8 overall pick. They want an "impact center or puck moving defenseman". If there is any accuracy in this it means you are going to have to give up our #1 and someone like Ennis or another high value player if you want to get into a pick that will result in a center of any consequence for us. I'm not sure it is worth it at that price. Not when we are supposed to be building for a Cup run in the short term. If our time frame was more like 5-7 years out it would make sense.

If it was our goal to draft a franchise center this weekend we should have sent off Stafford, Connolly, and Montador at the deadline to aqcuire the assets needed to trade up into one of those early drafting positions. Too late for that now. IMO we are at a point where we need to start thinking of that #1 pick as a tool to bring in whatever help we can, even if it isn't at center. It's not like there aren't imporvements that can be made on wing or defense.

Did you happen to read chz's link from yesterday about trade rumors? Columbus is willing to trade their #8 overall pick. They want an "impact center or puck moving defenseman". If there is any accuracy in this it means you are going to have to give up our #1 and someone like Ennis or another high value player if you want to get into a pick that will result in a center of any consequence for us. I'm not sure it is worth it at that price. Not when we are supposed to be building for a Cup run in the short term. If our time frame was more like 5-7 years out it would make sense.

If it was our goal to draft a franchise center this weekend we should have sent off Stafford, Connolly, and Montador at the deadline to aqcuire the assets needed to trade up into one of those early drafting positions. Too late for that now. IMO we are at a point where we need to start thinking of that #1 pick as a tool to bring in whatever help we can, even if it isn't at center. It's not like there aren't imporvements that can be made on wing or defense.

I did read that. It was interesting. I wonder if our pick which is higher than philly and leopold would help... thrown in sekera too... idk I am spinning my wheels and thinking of any solution i can, time will tell, my hopes are pretty low so yup.

I would have rather seen some of the money thrown away on Boyes and Stafford go to a mega long term deal for Myers.

Well, since Boyes' contract only has one year left and Myers current contract also has one year left, Boyes' contract in no way, shape, or form limits any "mega long deal for Myers." Stafford's does, of course, but not Boyes'. Unless you've clairvoyantly determined that Darcy will re-sign him.

I remember 2009, back when a post like this actually meant something. Ask Philly if Buffalo was tough to play against. We didn't lose to Philly because we weren't tough or physical enough (as much as you want to drill that point into our heads, as false as it may be). We lost because by game seven, we had only 2 legit top 6 forwards left on the ice.

I remember 2009, back when a post like this actually meant something. Ask Philly if Buffalo was tough to play against. We didn't lose to Philly because we weren't tough or physical enough (as much as you want to drill that point into our heads, as false as it may be). We lost because by game seven, we had only 2 legit top 6 forwards left on the ice.

which will now be countered by we only had 2 left because the rest were injured cuz the other team was tougher... lol spinning the wheels, my thought is we need roy and center B to make our playoff run longer, and more defensive seasoning, which MAG, Weber, Myers all having another year of hockey will make us better... and tougher.

We beat the piss out of them but we lost because in the end, talent prevailed. Although that 7th game was a real embarrassment to the team, its owner, management, and the fans. It shouldn't have ended like that.

Nonetheless you are right. This team is already tough. But we have to pick up players who can score and defend better. IMO we need a top quality center, another top 6 winger and two shut down D. Jovanovski could be one of the D since he would be good for a season or two in which time our kids would be ready to step in.

Hartnell? For what Philly probably wants for him, no thanks.

If the Sabres truly care about winning the cup in the next three years, then they cannot sit pretty with the 16th overall pick. Either trade up to get an impact player that can make a difference in the near future or trade it so we can get a proven center/top 4 defenseman. Taking s guy that won't play a minute in Buffalo for another three years doesn't help us.

You are absolutely correct. I think Pegula was serious when he said he wants a championship team in three years (and then said that's on the high side). I was really surprised, I didn't realize we were that close to begin with. However our tussle with Philly showed that we belonged on the same ice and I'm beginning to believe that we really are just a few players short.

So with that premise, we have to go for it now. Get Richards, trade the pick and players to pick up another good D (Burns?).

You are absolutely correct. I think Pegula was serious when he said he wants a championship team in three years (and then said that's on the high side). I was really surprised, I didn't realize we were that close to begin with. However our tussle with Philly showed that we belonged on the same ice and I'm beginning to believe that we really are just a few players short.

So with that premise, we have to go for it now. Get Richards, trade the pick and players to pick up another good D (Burns?).

pitkanen would be my first choice after Ehrhoff tanked in the playoffs. Id rather avoid trading for defenders. If burns would not take Ennis or someone like that for us to get than maybe cuz he hits a good deal and is a big guy to pair with myers. Time will tell.

2 Legit top 6 forwards "LEFT on the ice?" They didn't have 2 legit top six forwards to begin with.

Any injury excuse is a joke. Pronger was only at 50% when he could make it on to the ice. Any physical play came from the Sabres blueliners. Myers did have a nice series in that regard. The Sabres were still without a physical presence upfront. That needs t change. Considering the early part of the Pegula era, I doubt it will.

Buffalo put up a good fight but I think the toughness they played with against Philly is a bit overrated here. Philly seemed to dominate puck possession time in 5 of 7 games. We threw alot of body checks but did it really slow Philly down? I didn't see it that way. It didn't keep Philly from messing with Miller in the crease. And it didn't result in our forwards getting more room in the O zone. They played hard and with desperation, and I agree that they made Philly earn the series win. It didn't come easy. But in the end they weren't tough enough to prevent Philly from doing any of the things they needed to do to beat us.

Back closer to topic, I think moving a pick and a player like Gerbe to get and make room for Hartnell would be a very good move. And I think this year is the year that Darcy pulls off a trade like this one. It may not be for Hartnell specifically, but I don't see Buffalo announcing a pick at #16.

Buffalo put up a good fight but I think the toughness they played with against Philly is a bit overrated here. Philly seemed to dominate puck possession time in 5 of 7 games. We threw alot of body checks but did it really slow Philly down? I didn't see it that way. It didn't keep Philly from messing with Miller in the crease. And it didn't result in our forwards getting more room in the O zone. They played hard and with desperation, and I agree that they made Philly earn the series win. It didn't come easy. But in the end they weren't tough enough to prevent Philly from doing any of the things they needed to do to beat us.

Back closer to topic, I think moving a pick and a player like Gerbe to get and make room for Hartnell would be a very good move. And I think this year is the year that Darcy pulls off a trade like this one. It may not be for Hartnell specifically, but I don't see Buffalo announcing a pick at #16.

"It didn't come easy" for about 5 1/2 games.

The may move up a little shuffling draft picks. I seriously doubt the Sabres will move any players in or out. I truly expect the same old stories about "the market place" come Monday morning.

The may move up a little shuffling draft picks. I seriously doubt the Sabres will move any players in or out. I truly expect the same old stories about "the market place" come Monday morning.

The season doesn't start Tuesday. Id at least wait we are near the end of the off season not in the very beginning.

I was interested in watching round 2 on saturday, and since i don't have NHL network, i was wondering if anyone knew whether or not NHL.com would be streaming the saturday rounds?

If not i suppose I'll need to prowl the dark depths of the internets for a feed.

NHL.com had it last year live

2 Legit top 6 forwards "LEFT on the ice?" They didn't have 2 legit top six forwards to begin with.

Any injury excuse is a joke. Pronger was only at 50% when he could make it on to the ice. Any physical play came from the Sabres blueliners. Myers did have a nice series in that regard. The Sabres were still without a physical presence upfront. That needs t change. Considering the early part of the Pegula era, I doubt it will.

...and yet they somehow took Philly to seven games... Oh wait, that was because of Miller... Oh wait, no, I forgot, Miller is just average,... hmmm.

How did they take Philly to a game seven?

The season doesn't start Tuesday. Id at least wait we are near the end of the off season not in the very beginning.

I am worried about the same old adage. You would think if they were going to do something it would have happened already and it is getting late for a significant move. After the draft, a lot of teams like to see what they have and how everything meshes. I don't remember a lot of moves the last couple of years after the draft except free agent signings.

Archived