Official 2011 NHL Draft Thread

Robviously

So now we'll have a local Irish kid and a local Polish kid. Can an Italian one be far behind? Next year's 4th rounder perhaps? :D

They got rid of the Irish kid and already have a local Polish kid, no?

Round 6 - getting some goal help back in the pipeline.

NATHAN LIEUWEN G 6' 5" 185 WHL KOOTENAY

SabresProspects Kris Baker

My position on Lieuwen was simply "take him and see if he develops", and "he's a body who can immediately play in the AHL". Fills a need.

BillHoppeSabres Bill Hoppe

Nathan Lieuwen's almost 20 already, too.

BillHoppeSabres Bill Hoppe

I saw Nathan Lieuwen play several games at the Memorial Cup. He impressed me a lot ... backbone of the team.

Lieuwen is big and athletic. Talked about him in the draft preview. WHL Playoff MVP. Has some issues catching the puck, but a body for ROCH.

So with Leggio resigned - sounds like Lieuwen will get his minutes in Roch as the #2 to start.

Round 6 - getting some goal help back in the pipeline.

NATHAN LIEUWEN G 6' 5" 185 WHL KOOTENAY

He's got an interesting story. He was draft eligible two years ago and was highly thought of until his career was derailed by a concussion. Then he had another concussion last season and missed a lot of that season. This year he stayed healthy and won the Memorial Cup with Kootenay.

Basically he's got a ton of talent but needs to stay concussion-free. He's also old enough that we can sign him and put him in Rochester immediately. Pretty good deal.

He's got an interesting story. He was draft eligible two years ago and was highly thought of until his career was derailed by a concussion. Then he had another concussion last season and missed a lot of that season. This year he stayed healthy and won the Memorial Cup with Kootenay.

Basically he's got a ton of talent but needs to stay concussion-free. He's also old enough that we can sign him and put him in Rochester immediately. Pretty good deal.

He can get some pointers from Miller how to avoid them - umm, nevermind. :)

I like. If you can't get the big center, get the short one made of lightning.

EDIT: From Leafs Site

"Heading into the NHL entry draft, scouts have placed Catenacci as high as the 11th overall position and as far back as the fourth round. "It's such a wide range," said Dubas. "To me the key for Daniel is going to be how he responds no matter what happens."

He was ranked 37th overall by central scouting. Nice he fell to the third round. Size is the only thing they have said bad about him, but 5'10 183 they say he has thick legs and is strong. Still wish the Sabres had grabbed a center earlier, but this guy is a nice pickup.

Round 7:

BRAD NAVIN C 6' 2" 183 HIGH-WI WAUPACA

With their final pick, the Buffalo Sabres have selected Wisconsin HS product Brad Navin (7th round, 197th overall). Heading to Badgers.

Round 7:

BRAD NAVIN C 6' 2" 183 HIGH-WI WAUPACA

With their final pick, the Buffalo Sabres have selected Wisconsin HS product Brad Navin (7th round, 197th overall). Heading to Badgers.

interesting Article on him and why he dropped: Strained MCL in January

He might be the steal of the draft: Navin

Navin, a 6-2 and 195-pound forward, will arrive in Madison after his Waupaca High School career ends this spring. Ranked 163rd in NHL Central Scouting's Final North American Rankings, Navin led all Wisconsin high school skaters in scoring as a junior with 53 goals and 92 points in 25 games played and posted 29 goals and 52 points in 14 games as a senior before an injury derailed hopes for a repeat scoring title.

Gaudy numbers even for a High schooler.

Navin, a 6-2 and 195-pound forward, will arrive in Madison after his Waupaca High School career ends this spring. Ranked 163rd in NHL Central Scouting's Final North American Rankings, Navin led all Wisconsin high school skaters in scoring as a junior with 53 goals and 92 points in 25 games played and posted 29 goals and 52 points in 14 games as a senior before an injury derailed hopes for a repeat scoring title.

Navin: high scoring forward. Was only player in this year's draft to have zero no-point games. Every game was a multi-point effort.

Could be an interesting prospect to see in 3 to 5 years.

Seems like the usual Sabres' winning draft formula:

Round 1: take the best available player (prolific goal scorer)

Rounds 2, 3: address medium term needs (skill center, power center)

Rounds 4-7: round out the current prospect pool (pound'em Dman to offset the many skilled D prospects, goalie with upside to work/develop in Rochester a few years, low risk high reward center [future Badger])

I like the focus on centers: not that these guys will be ready when we need a center for next year, but rather that there never seems to be a gluttony of quality centers in the league- they're a valuable commodity to us and to other teams.

I also like the homer pick in the 4th round. Everyone loves the hometown guy, especially if he's the tough, hardworking shutdown guy that prudently smashes faces in.

The C and D picks really compliment our current core depth on the wings.

It'll be interesting to see if the big goalie can develop nicely over the next few years. Maybe he'll turn Enroth into trade bait a few years from now?

And I finally have a Sabres prospect at Wisconsin in Brad Navin.

Good times, good draft.

Plus, he'll be playing for Mike Eaves who can turn out some good pros... Pavelski, Stepan, Geoffrion, etc.

Seems like the usual Sabres' winning draft formula:

Round 1: take the best available player (prolific goal scorer)

Rounds 2, 3: address medium term needs (skill center, power center)

Rounds 4-7: round out the current prospect pool (pound'em Dman to offset the many skilled D prospects, goalie with upside to work/develop in Rochester a few years, low risk high reward center [future Badger])

I'm looking at it this way:

Round 1: Joel Armia -- Immediately becomes the most talented prospect we have. He could be a point-a-game homerun or a total dud if the knock on him for not being competitive or consistent turns out to be true.

Round 3: Daniel Catenacci -- Immediately becomes the fastest player in our organization. He's small but if he can finish, he'll be a nice player.

Round 4: Colin Jacobs -- Big two-way center from the WHL.

Round 5: Alex Lepkowski -- He's local but we'd love him based on his size and temperament even if he wasn't local.

Round 6: Goalie who dropped due to injuries who has a lot of talent and will immediately go to Rochester (which is exactly what we needed).

Round 7: High school project = lotto ticket.

That's a good draft. We weren't going to find any can't-miss prospects, but our first pick has star potential and our next three after that all sound like they'll have a reasonable shot at being NHL players.

Nearly 4PPG? Clearly, he was play in a league below his skill level. Hard to say what he'll do in a more appropriate league, though. Worth a shot with a late pick.

He'll find out pretty quickly what it is like to play against legitimate competition once he steps foot in the WCHA. We'll see how that goes.

sorry if this has been previously talked about. Mcneil was avaialable a centerman, but yet they took the Finnish winger?

...yes and thats when i turned off my tv and proceeded to get very very very drunk.... i literally just got up. :sick:

sorry if this has been previously talked about. Mcneil was avaialable a centerman, but yet they took the Finnish winger?

My concerns exactly. I figured they would take Oleksiak if he were there, but when they didn't take McNeill I was irritated...even more so when I saw that Armia was a RW...and even MORE so when Chicago took him 2 picks later and I got a good look at him. This kid looks like the real deal. I'm sure the Sabres have good reasons not to take him, but they weren't obvious to me.

I was hoping for McNeil before they made their pick, but it sounds like (not just from the Sabres, but from outside experts) that Armia has much higher potential upside, though with more uncertainty. His upside potential is 1st-line winger, while McNeil's is two-way, likely third-line (maybe second) center. It was a matter of drafting the best player, not for an organizational need. We'll see how it works out. If they address center through other avenues (trades, FA), then it won't matter as much.

Archived