Official 2011 NHL Draft Thread

Robviously

Speaking of RW, am I the only right-handed person in the world who doesn't play pro hockey that feels more comfortable on the right side.

I prefer the right side as well because I'm awful at receiving passes on my backhand. I like to work down low though, so my preference really only matters during entry. Once I'm in the zone I'm happy anywhere so long as someone is going to the net if I'm not already there.

How does trading up for a center help this team today? Great, they would have moved up to get a marginal prospect who is at best 3 years away. This draft is not going to help this team. They need to improve through free agency and established players on the trade market.

As for Boston, I just can't take a tough guy named Dougie serious.

Because we took a winger... another F'n winger.

Because we took a winger... another F'n winger.

Look at the prospect depth chart. There's very little there. You don't draft based on your NHL roster. At least 50% of this current team will be gone by the time Armia reaches the NHL.

This board is the only place that doesn't like this pick.

Not saying I don't like the pick, I just think that we have a ways to go with selecting tougher players and two years of drafting these type of guys is great but we can't stop there. I know it's only pick one and obviously haven't seem him play live but I hope they don't revert back to the max days.

Look at the prospect depth chart. There's very little there. You don't draft based on your NHL roster. At least 50% of this current team will be gone by the time Armia reaches the NHL.

Agreed, and Arnia isn't the worst pick in the world, but given Marcy has had so little creativity, he banks on one deal, then he doesn't do his final homework on to come through and doesn't have enough clout, connections, respect or whatever to pull off something more creative. Even shipping the number one to someone for a badly needed center as has been beaten to death in previous discussions.

Or moving up to grab one of the centers that is in the draft. The Sabres don't have a number 2 and that gives them very little wiggle room. So we are going to have to watch Hecht or Boyes play center on the second line next year....LOL

Agreed, and Arnia isn't the worst pick in the world, but given Marcy has had so little creativity, he banks on one deal, then he doesn't do his final homework on to come through and doesn't have enough clout, connections, respect or whatever to pull off something more creative. Even shipping the number one to someone for a badly needed center as has been beaten to death in previous discussions.

Or moving up to grab one of the centers that in the draft. The Sabres don't have a number 2 and that gives them very little wiggle room. So we are going to have to watch Hecht or Boyes play center on the second line next year....LOL

So they only worked on one deal and that was their entire offseason plan? How many teams made moves in these last couple days 6-8? By your logic, this is going to be the slowest offseason in NHL history.

For the Sabres at this rate it will just be another in a series of good enough off seasons with not enough to make it to the Stanley cup dangling progress. Pegs said he wanted a Stanley cup. So far I am not seeing it out of Darcy. Demand excellence and then not be satisfied with it and certainly don't settle for mediocrity.

As for drafting tough hockey players, your first round selection(s) will obviously make the largest impact and here they are:

2008: Myers - big and has begun to become a physical player

Ennis - Skilled, little physical upside

2009: Kassian - Physical force

2010: Pysyk - Known for many things but one drawback is that he is soft

2011: Armia - One of his main negatives is his competitivness

We only had one second round pick in the past three years (Adam) so I'm not sure how the high end guys are really known for their physical play outside of Kassian.

As for drafting tough hockey players, your first round selection(s) will obviously make the largest impact and here they are:

2008: Myers - big and has begun to become a physical player

Ennis - Skilled, little physical upside

2009: Kassian - Physical force

2010: Pysyk - Known for many things but one drawback is that he is soft

2011: Armia - One of his main negatives is his competitivness

We only had one second round pick in the past three years (Adam) so I'm not sure how the high end guys are really known for their physical play outside of Kassian.

At least the one's the Sabres with Marcy drafts...

I've been one of the biggest Darcy advocators on here but I really expected him to be very active this weekend. Ya he tried but we've been hearing that for years. I'll wait until a week into free agency to get on his case but I'm pretty disappointed thus far.

Seriously, enough with the Marcy sh*t. It wasn't funny two years ago when you didn't come up with it, and it isn't funny now. I feel like I'm reading a note being passed between 3rd graders.

Seriously, enough with the Marcy sh*t. It wasn't funny two years ago when you didn't come up with it, and it isn't funny now. I feel like I'm reading a note being passed between 3rd graders.

And Darcy's already a girls name. I'd love to see how creative he'd get if he ever thought someone like Leslie Nielson was too feminine.

Thank You.

Oh get over it, wasn't meant to be, more out of frustration of Marcy's incompetence... Kinda like calling Sadam .... Sadaam.

Archived