Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I'm allowed to post a comment like this on this particular topic, but I just wanted to say I'm a beer only guy. I've tried to get into wine, but I've been unable to enjoy it. As for liquor, the college days put an end to that. I rarely drank in college, but liquor always had me bed ridden the next day. I've never had problems w/ beer. Taste great and less filling! Sorry, just wanted to say that for the fun it. I know it's more filling. Just hand me a Sam Adams and I'm good to go.

I'm late to the party here... But I do have some input.

A couple weeks ago, I got it in my head that I'd like to make some homemade eggnog. Rather than splurge on expensive bourbon, I settled on Wild Turkey 101. The final product was great. Eggnog had a lot of full flavor and a lot of whiskey taste. I actually drank the WT neat though. It was a very flull flavored whiskey. I got a hint of leather, spices, and some oaky hints. To be honest, it was a bit rough to swig down due to the 50% ABV, but it was not a bad drink for $22 for a 750ml bottle. It's definitely a hobo drink, but for under $25, you're getting a full flavored, strong drink that won't make you forget!

But you may be in luck: there is something sweet in the Scotch world. Drambuie is a Scotch-based liqueur. At 80 proof, it still packs a punch. I've never tried it, but you might want to.

Finally got a chance to try it. It did not suck, thanks.

I haven't dug very deeply into Irish whsiskey but Bushmill's Black Bush is in an approachable price point and has a good rep from what I've heard. Redbreast is usually highly regarded. Depending on your budget, Tyrconnell has a great reputation too but the price really starts to creep up here.

Got a bottle of Bushmill's Black Bush for this holiday weekend. I was told by the worker there when I commented that my understanding is bushmills and Jameson are kinda the same with a different label, that it is a more flavorful (stronger) version of Jameson.

I'm sure there are better / more qualified people to answer this, but my friend's husband loves Feckin. I personally haven't sampled much in the way of Irish whiskey just yet, but it's on the to-do list.

funny thing about that brand....... worker approached me asking if he could help me and i said I am looking to try a different irish whiskey but I only see bushmills, jameson, and tullamore dew in a affordable range. He told me we use to carry another brand called Feckin but only 1 person use to come in to buy it and it looked like we don't carry it anymore. Might have to try Premier liquer next week.

Back in the day (not long ago, read on), Bushmills was for Protestants, while Jameson was for Catholics. Even in the US, there was a stigma--one way, or the other--about which you chose. About twenty years ago (roughly), they were owned by the same company. It still didn't matter; the stigma still attached. Then, I think, they split off again. About five years ago, I started to see that stigma disappear, with the rise of bourbon and the decline in consumption of Irish whisky. But many Buffalo bars still do not carry Bushmills, period.

I always liked Bushmills better than Jameson, just for the taste. Back when I used to drink Irish instead of Bourbon, I actually--and I do mean this seriously--was challenged by Catholic friends (I'm Catholic, too) on my whisky preference. More than once.

IMO, they are similar, but Jameson is a bit sweeter than regular Bushmills, which, in turn, is sweeter than Black Bush. Since I tend to avoid sweetness in whisky, I like Black Bush.

Back in the day (not long ago, read on), Bushmills was for Protestants, while Jameson was for Catholics. Even in the US, there was a stigma--one way, or the other--about which you chose. About twenty years ago (roughly), they were owned by the same company. It still didn't matter; the stigma still attached. Then, I think, they split off again. About five years ago, I started to see that stigma disappear, with the rise of bourbon and the decline in consumption of Irish whisky. But many Buffalo bars still do not carry Bushmills, period.

I always liked Bushmills better than Jameson, just for the taste. Back when I used to drink Irish instead of Bourbon, I actually--and I do mean this seriously--was challenged by Catholic friends (I'm Catholic, too) on my whisky preference. More than once.

IMO, they are similar, but Jameson is a bit sweeter than regular Bushmills, which, in turn, is sweeter than Black Bush. Since I tend to avoid sweetness in whisky, I like Black Bush.

I always wondered why I liked Bushmills better than Jameson. Turns out, It's because I'm not a dirty Catholic.

(lucky for me I married one, though) :D

I'm surprised you prefer bourbon if you don't like sweetness. To me bourbon has an underlying sweetness behind the spice.

New Year's Eve day edition....

I dropped the foreign exchange student's sister off at the airport and stopped at a lab in Clarence for a pre-employment drug screening. Been cooped up for a week with a head cold but I'm feeling better now. What better way to spend an afternoon after a boring week than sitting on a barstool drinking bourbon?

Ordered a flight of 3 bourbons along with my lunch of calimari and fried banana peppers.

New to me was Knob Creek Singe Barrel Special Reserve. Not to be confused with "ordinary" Knob Creek. Ordered neat. Tons of brown sugar and caramel both on the nose and on the tongue. Big vanilla hints too. This is a more powerful version of the regular Knob Creek. If you like the white label stuff, give the Special Reserve a shot., Not overly complicated or special, but a high quality pour nonetheless.

Second on the list was Booker's. This is a barrel proof bourbon from the folks that bring you Jim Beam. I sampled mine slightly diluted with a touch of water. After dilution I got lots of confectioner's and brown sugar on the nose. And a hint of raisins and prunes. Maybe even some roasted notes along the lines of that roasty hint off a glass of Guinness. On the tongue it was light and fruity initially, giving an impression of an Irish whiskey. A bit of sweet corn was definitely showing. Then the spice kicked in hard. Cinnamon mostly but there was defintely some vanilla and clove notes as well. And then I picked up some woody/grassy notes and black pepper. The finish defintely leaned towards cinnamon and pepper. It had been a long time since I'd last tried Booker's. I didn't care for it the first time. I like it more now but it isn't a whiskey with a tremendous depth. It's got lots of suger up front and lots of spice on the finish but little in between. Nice, but not world class.

Last was a bourbon called Colonel EH Taylor. I've reviewed it here before. I am going to post the revisitied thoughts before a look at what I posted previously. We'll see how much my thoughts have changed as the scenario I'm tasting themin has changed. On the nose I get raw sugar and a green minty/vegetal note. Think freshly picked green mint leaves and sugar. Maybe a touch of fresh lemon zest as well. On the tongue I initially get grain and straw but the sweetness is definitely in the background. Disappointingly thin mouthfeel. I get raisins, grains and dates quickly fading to pepper, and cinnamon Red Hots. This bourbon lacks depth of character. It is a bit thin and starts grainy with a touch of mint then it goes straight to cinnamon and pepper with no middle depth. Another very good, but not world class bourbon.

Of the three, Knob Creek Special Reserve was probably the most enjoyable. It was also the lowest proof, and the only one I drank neat.

Not a bad way to spend an afternoon overall.

The first pour was Colonel EH Taylor, it is a premium level wheat bourbon made by Heaven Hill to compete against the great Van Winkle line of wheated bourbons. Wow. I fell in love at the first sip. The nose was sweet and soft with nice caramel and licorice notes. And I had the same impressions at that first sip. It is really, really soft, yet interesting enough at the same time. Instead of the usual sweet vanilla this one was more like honey sweet, but not overly so. Not the most complex whiskey but an enjoyable, terrific pour.

Wow. Talk about a change in my perception. I guess I liked this whiskey alot more the 1st time around.

A few weeks ago, I tried this one:

http://thedrinknatio...ew-Dads-Hat-Rye

At the time, I remember it being very smooth and very nice taken neat. Also, I was pretty drunk at the time, so don't take that as gospel.

For the price - might want to check how you like it at the start of the night. :)

From that link (sounds tasty):

The Scofflaw

1½ oz. rye (Dad’s Hat)

1 oz. dry vermouth

1 oz. lemon juice

½ oz. grenadine

2 dashes orange bitters

1 lemon slice (for garnish)

Add all ingredients over ice in a shaker. Stir and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with lemon slice.

For the price - might want to check how you like it at the start of the night. :)

From that link (sounds tasty):

The Scofflaw

1½ oz. rye (Dad’s Hat)

1 oz. dry vermouth

1 oz. lemon juice

½ oz. grenadine

2 dashes orange bitters

1 lemon slice (for garnish)

Add all ingredients over ice in a shaker. Stir and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with lemon slice.

That cocktail has five ingredients too many, as far as I'm concerned!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.