Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

I am eighteen years old and I live in WNY, so I don't really drink. I've occasionally tried to enjoy different kinds of beers and liquors, but never with success. Next year, I'm going to be a college freshman and it looks like I'm going to McGill University (hopefully). The drinking age in Montreal is 18, so I want to start learning to enjoy alcohol the right way. I humbly ask advice on how to start drinking alcohol and enjoying it.

Is it me or has this website become really SLOW to load thread pages?

I am experiencing this as well.

I am eighteen years old and I live in WNY, so I don't really drink. I've occasionally tried to enjoy different kinds of beers and liquors, but never with success. Next year, I'm going to be a college freshman and it looks like I'm going to McGill University (hopefully). The drinking age in Montreal is 18, so I want to start learning to enjoy alcohol the right way. I humbly ask advice on how to start drinking alcohol and enjoying it.

Moderation. All things in moderation. Other than that, hop in, the water is warm.

Excellent school and Montreal is a great city ... my wife is from there and we both enjoy Montreal very much, regrettably we haven't been there for a while. Good luck.

I agree with weave's advise ... everything in moderation. Also, please do not do anything that would put you in a compromising situation. While, I don't drink alcohol anymore, for a number of reasons, I do appreciate the pleasure in enjoying a good whisky (was a Scotch lover in my previous life), beer or wine.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

:thumbsup:

on the subject of whisky/-ey: i stopped off at a joint in the elmwood village this weekend -- pizza vera -- that's doing the whole "cocktail culture" thing -- i.e., drinks with names and ingredients you've (or at least i've) never heard of, 9 types of glasses for different drnks, specially-crafted ice cubes (no "puffy bar ice" serving as rocks), etc.

the tattooed kid made me a manhattan with something called redemption rye. i assumed it was canadian. turns out it's made in indiana from 95% rye. zoinks. with rye content that high, i assume that it's meant to be a mixer only. the drink was outstanding.

and this in turn led me to discover a fundamental misunderstanding i have always had about rye whisky. i had thought that canadian blended whiskies were synonymous with rye whiskies . it ain't necessarily so. wikipedia breaks it down pretty well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_whisky

all i know is that my grandmother used to have her "rye and water" at 5 o'clock and would sometimes let me prepare it for her -- and it was generally canadian club that she had on hand. canadian club has always used rye as part of its mash, but i don't know that they used (or now use) enough to qualify as a true rye. interesting. this blog covers the issue ably:

http://inebrio.com/behindbars/?p=527

Mixed drinks are usually a good starting point, since few people enjoy the taste of alcohol right off the bat. Stay away from anything that comes in a plastic bottle, and when ordering drinks at a bar (especially a college bar), try to pick a brand you've tried and like because chances are you'll get the crappy stuff from plastic bottles if you don't specify a brand. Start simple with something like:

rum and coke (Bacardi or Captain Morgan, depending on preference for clear or spiced rum)

Jack and coke (Jack Daniels)

whiskey and 7 (Seagrams, Crown Royal, Windsor Canadian, etc)

vodka and tonic (Stoli, Skyy, etc)

gin and tonic (Tangueray, Bombay, Beefeater)

Definitely not an inclusive list, but these are a few mid-range brands that won't break the bank and you should be able to find easily. I think most people tend to settle on 1 or 2 main types of liquor when starting out, so once you find yours, just experiment with different mixers and recipes using that type. (I was primarily a vodka drinker for years, so I mostly drank martinis or vodka and cranberry juice, and am only recently venturing into the world of whisky/whiskey.)

Others have hit on the moderation theme, and it's true. Drinking on an empty stomach or while dehydrated will shorten your time to inebriation, and while fun, shots can take you from 0 to hammered very quickly, so pace yourself and drink with people you trust.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace bourbon earlier today. I'd had it before in an apple smash, but tonight was the first I've gotten to try it neat. Not too much burn for a newbie, good flavor without being too sweet, and a nice finish that lingers. Me likey.

Finally picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace bourbon earlier today. I'd had it before in an apple smash, but tonight was the first I've gotten to try it neat. Not too much burn for a newbie, good flavor without being too sweet, and a nice finish that lingers. Me likey.

:thumbsup:

BUffalo Trace's lineup of whiskeys is solid from top to bottom.

This is going to sound like snobbery, but what is good is rarely popular and what is popular is rarely good. Try different things than the people around you; sometimes it'll go well, sometimes it won't, but at least you'll get to know what you like. This goes for many more things than alcohol.

Rusty nail. Great cocktail. Also, if you're in a decent bar (which may be a non-intersecting set with college bars), ask the bartender for a recommendation. Sometimes you'll get something amazing.

This is going to sound like snobbery, but what is good is rarely popular and what is popular is rarely good. Try different things than the people around you; sometimes it'll go well, sometimes it won't, but at least you'll get to know what you like. This goes for many more things than alcohol.

Rusty nail. Great cocktail. Also, if you're in a decent bar (which may be a non-intersecting set with college bars), ask the bartender for a recommendation. Sometimes you'll get something amazing.

Rusty nails are outstanding - a bit of an acquired taste, but one hell of way to end the evening. And likely not remember it...

Tonite's elixir is a new one for me, Sam Houston American Whiskey. I assumed it was bourbon. [Ron White voice] I was wrong. [/Ron White voice].

I was only faintly aware of this brand and have never seen it on a store shelf. It is specifically labeled as "whiskey" and made in Bowling Green Kentucky but it is not bourbon. Hmmmmm... Everything I find online suggests it has a bourbon mash bill with lots of rye. This bottle is aged 10yrs. Not sure why they are avoiding the bourbon label.

Anywho... pours a deep amber. On the nose it is very sweet. The aroma reminded me of what you get when you melt brown sugar on a stovetop. It was so sweet on the nose I thought oatmeal cookies. Yeah, lots of sweet, sugary notes on the nose. Very, very smooth. A little malty and grainy. A touch of vanilla. And a good hint of pepper on the finish. Overall, it was so smooth and the cereal grain character and brown sugar notes gave the impression of a whiskey somewhere between bourbon and an Irish whiskey. Very tasty. Recommended.

Tonite's elixir is a new one for me, Sam Houston American Whiskey. I assumed it was bourbon. [Ron White voice] I was wrong. [/Ron White voice].

I was only faintly aware of this brand and have never seen it on a store shelf. It is specifically labeled as "whiskey" and made in Bowling Green Kentucky but it is not bourbon. Hmmmmm... Everything I find online suggests it has a bourbon mash bill with lots of rye. This bottle is aged 10yrs. Not sure why they are avoiding the bourbon label.

Anywho... pours a deep amber. On the nose it is very sweet. The aroma reminded me of what you get when you melt brown sugar on a stovetop. It was so sweet on the nose I thought oatmeal cookies. Yeah, lots of sweet, sugary notes on the nose. Very, very smooth. A little malty and grainy. A touch of vanilla. And a good hint of pepper on the finish. Overall, it was so smooth and the cereal grain character and brown sugar notes gave the impression of a whiskey somewhere between bourbon and an Irish whiskey. Very tasty. Recommended.

I was reading your description and I was poised to write, "sounds like a cross between a bourbon and an Irish." I'm going to have to give this a try.

So I've been drinking a fair amount if islay scotch lately, so I decided to pick up a bottle of something different on the way home tonight. Went with Oban14 year old, a highland malt. A light copper color in the glass, a little flower, light fruit and a little sweet on the nose. There is supposed to be smoke in the nose but I can't find it. It's initially sweet on the tongue with fruit and spice - some wood, fading to a dry spicy finish with a hint of peat smoke. A medium finish.

I like it - easily consumed neat. Will have to try the next glass with a little water.

So I've been drinking a fair amount if islay scotch lately, so I decided to pick up a bottle of something different on the way home tonight. Went with Oban14 year old, a highland malt. A light copper color in the glass, a little flower, light fruit and a little sweet on the nose. There is supposed to be smoke in the nose but I can't find it. It's initially sweet on the tongue with fruit and spice - some wood, fading to a dry spicy finish with a hint of peat smoke. A medium finish.

I like it - easily consumed neat. Will have to try the next glass with a little water.

I don't have as much experience with Scotch as I do with American whiskeys but among the Scotches I've had, Oban is probably my favorite.

Edited by weave

Few tips from a student (i am from the UK, but i presume student life is similar all over):

1) Get used to cheaper stuff, whilst it is nice and a treat to use a named brand, supermarket's own is the standard stuff we lash on

2) Get used to wine, it is cheap for what is does for £5 (like $8?) you can get a drinkable bottle and it will do the job nicely

3) Fanta fruit twist is an amazing mixer for getting drunk, you can't taste the alcohol

4) Ginger ale and whiskey is a delicious drink, though i would not pre-drink on it as i actually like the taste

5) Student moderation is different from normal person moderation, after you have thrown up you learn the line pretty quickly (unless you are one of those weird people who can continue to party after throwing up)

In other news, I really like Dalmore 12 year old single malt. It has a sort of honey taste and is yummy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.