Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

So I've been drinking a fair amount if islay scotch lately, so I decided to pick up a bottle of something different on the way home tonight. Went with Oban14 year old, a highland malt. A light copper color in the glass, a little flower, light fruit and a little sweet on the nose. There is supposed to be smoke in the nose but I can't find it. It's initially sweet on the tongue with fruit and spice - some wood, fading to a dry spicy finish with a hint of peat smoke. A medium finish.

I like it - easily consumed neat. Will have to try the next glass with a little water.

You're nose is probably desensitized to the smoke/peat. Oban is a fantastic whisky, but def a step down in punch from Islay. Happens to me as well.

I've rediscovered Ardbeg 10, highly recommended if you haven't tried it. The only problem is that it will surround you and people will say they're getting drunk just standing next to you. What can I say, I'm a giver.

You're nose is probably desensitized to the smoke/peat. Oban is a fantastic whisky, but def a step down in punch from Islay. Happens to me as well.

I've rediscovered Ardbeg 10, highly recommended if you haven't tried it. The only problem is that it will surround you and people will say they're getting drunk just standing next to you. What can I say, I'm a giver.

well, look what the cat dragged in !

• 4 weeks later...

Here, you can blend your own Scotch. I'm not a Scotch drinker, mostly because I don't like the taste of peat, but if I can control that, I might like it.

Then again, my custom blend ran to about 95 pounds, including shipment from Scotland, so maybe I'm not going to do it after all.

But for you Scotch diehards:

http://www.whiskyintelligence.com/2011/11/whiskyblendercom-the-home-of-your-own-whisky-scotch-whisky-news/

Just had a shot of tequila at work with the CFO at my company. I was talking to him and he said its been a long week. I concurred and said I needed a drink. Out came the bottle of Avion tequila and two shot glasses. Hilarious.

Hey now, tequila is not whisky, lol. Man, you and Swamp are making me jealous (and anxious for 5:30) today.

Sorry wasn't sure which thread this should be in what you are eating drinking/or this one.

Just teasing, man. It's all good. ;)

18-year-old Glenfiddich from the duty free shop in Mexico. $65 for a liter! Outstanding.

And jealous again. Come on, 5:30!!

At home on a Friday night in quite some time. Snowing out. It's a whiskey night. Tonight I reached for an old friend. Van Winkle Family Reserve rye, 13yr old whiskey. This is usually a special occassion bottle for me. It is a special edition whiskey that is really hard to find and only made in small quantities. The wife purchased this bottle several years ago and I've been savoring it slowly as I can't find any more around to replace it. Ebay prices for VWFR are a bit crazy but seems that Ebay is the only place I can find it.

Anywho..... this is one robust whiskey. Toffee and something that reminds me of maple syrup on the nose. I'm drinking it neat. It takes a sip or two to get past the heat as it's a 96 proof pour. Once you get used to the heat this whiskey is full of flavors. It's a bit oily and viscous, a little sweet grain on the tip of the tongue before the spice kicks in. And it is spicy, lots of cinnamon type flavors along with that typical rye zing. But it has a definite butterscotch note to it as well. And a finish that reminds me of ribbon candy. yeah, I know alot of you whippersnappers have no idea what ribbon candy tastes like, but this whiskey has a finish that reminds me of Grandma's candy dish.

This bottle's been sitting in my cabinet waiting for an excuse to pour for too damned long. There's only about 2-3 pours left in it. I may just have to finish the thing. This is a benchmark quality pour.

IMG00103-20120330-1954.jpg

Do it up, weave. Unfortunately I haven't figured out a way to post pictures from iPad or iPhone without access to a real computer. I am several deep with familiar draughts. Oban, Ardberg, and laphroaig amongst them. Trying to make room for another bottle. VanWinklewill be on the list. Sounds like a fine hunting camp vintage.

At home on a Friday night in quite some time. Snowing out. It's a whiskey night. Tonight I reached for an old friend. Van Winkle Family Reserve rye, 13yr old whiskey. This is usually a special occassion bottle for me. It is a special edition whiskey that is really hard to find and only made in small quantities. The wife purchased this bottle several years ago and I've been savoring it slowly as I can't find any more around to replace it. Ebay prices for VWFR are a bit crazy but seems that Ebay is the only place I can find it.

Anywho..... this is one robust whiskey. Toffee and something that reminds me of maple syrup on the nose. I'm drinking it neat. It takes a sip or two to get past the heat as it's a 96 proof pour. Once you get used to the heat this whiskey is full of flavors. It's a bit oily and viscous, a little sweet grain on the tip of the tongue before the spice kicks in. And it is spicy, lots of cinnamon type flavors along with that typical rye zing. But it has a definite butterscotch note to it as well. And a finish that reminds me of ribbon candy. yeah, I know alot of you whippersnappers have no idea what ribbon candy tastes like, but this whiskey has a finish that reminds me of Grandma's candy dish.

This bottle's been sitting in my cabinet waiting for an excuse to pour for too damned long. There's only about 2-3 pours left in it. I may just have to finish the thing. This is a benchmark quality pour.

IMG00103-20120330-1954.jpg

I have had pappy van winkle ism assuming its the same maker. Any who i have a nice 18 year old Caol Ila 2 fingers one cube. Tastes floral and peppery with a hint of smokey vanilla.

Edited by wonderbread

I have had pappy van winkle ism assuming its the same maker. Any who i have a nice 18 year old Caol Ila 2 fingers one cube. Tastes pretty smokey with a vanilla undertone.

Pictures or t didn't happen. Oh wait. I can't post pictures while mobile either. Damn.

I'm in Winston Salem for lunch on Monday. Anyone available? I've got deep fried cornbread and peache shine on the mind for lunch.

Pictures or t didn't happen. Oh wait. I can't post pictures while mobile either. Damn.

I'm in Winston Salem for lunch on Monday. Anyone available? I've got deep fried cornbread and peache shine on the mind for lunch.

After the third sip I've changed my opinion of this scotch.

Between the hours of 5 pm and 8 am I'm only on mobile so you won't get any pics from me.

Edited by wonderbread

Caol ila is a damn fine scoch, but it's not strong enough to stand up to an ice cube. See my notes in the whiskey thread. I poured one in your honor. Cheers to yins! Your carpet needs swept!

Here's to you you magnificent bastard, I just redded up the place for yinz guys.

Edited by wonderbread

My favorite mid-priced whiskeys are:

Bourbon: Maker's Mark, Bulleit, Knob Creek

(snip)

Don't know why I did it, but I bought a bottle of Bulleit instead of the usual Maker's Mark today, and I am REALLY enjoying a glass right now. Part of it, I'm sure, is due to the nature of this particular Saturday night (family stuff...), but I am really liking the taste of this. It probably will be September before I buy a bottle of bourbon again, but this one will be in strong contention.

Don't know why I did it, but I bought a bottle of Bulleit instead of the usual Maker's Mark today, and I am REALLY enjoying a glass right now. Part of it, I'm sure, is due to the nature of this particular Saturday night (family stuff...), but I am really liking the taste of this. It probably will be September before I buy a bottle of bourbon again, but this one will be in strong contention.

I fully support Bulleit (says the bottle sitting on my desk). :thumbsup:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.