Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

If you need an invite send me a PM and I'll set you up. Same goes for nfreeman.

As for the rest........ I'm a professional. I can't remember the last time I got sick during a session.

Thanks, but I already signed up and ordered that cachaca (the bf likes caipirinhas)... if I'd remembered you were a member, I'd have tried to get you the credit! I'll have to be careful about browsing their site too often, lol. I've been meaning to try some Irish whiskeys, so I'll keep Powers in mind next time I'm out.

Anyone have any experience with Glenmorangie single malt? I tried scotch very early in my drinking "career" and decided it wasn't for me. However, after seeing an ad for Glenmorangie in Golf Digest, I went to their web site (which is pretty neat - glenmorangie.com). They produce a number of different whiskies of various age and maturation type. They also have videos posted ("Tasting Master Class") where the fellow who makes the whisky guides you through a tasting. There are some other neat things on the site as well.

So, I bought a bottle and tried a wee dram last night - I think I still wouldn't call myself a Scotch drinker, but this stuff is gooood. (Plus it is an "unadvertised special" at Premier). Let me know what you think...

I'm curious what you think of that white dog. I've had a few different ones and they just aren't for me. Some of them have very interesting flavor profiles. I wish I could remember which one, but one of them had a very distinctive corn flavor to it. Was interesting, but not something I would typically reach for to have a drink. And I'm not sure how well it would've worked as a mixer.

Let us know your thoughts.

I'm curious what you think of that white dog. I've had a few different ones and they just aren't for me. Some of them have very interesting flavor profiles. I wish I could remember which one, but one of them had a very distinctive corn flavor to it. Was interesting, but not something I would typically reach for to have a drink. And I'm not sure how well it would've worked as a mixer.

Let us know your thoughts.

I liked it. You could certainly tell that it comes from a high quality whiskey maker. The cornbread flavor is present and finishes with a pleasant aftertaste. The alcohol burn is just right and it sips well in a rocks glass with a couple ice cubes to mellow it out.

I'll definitely buy it again. A nice change of pace from the more mature brown stuff.

I liked it. You could certainly tell that it comes from a high quality whiskey maker. The cornbread flavor is present and finishes with a pleasant aftertaste. The alcohol burn is just right and it sips well in a rocks glass with a couple ice cubes to mellow it out.

I'll definitely buy it again. A nice change of pace from the more mature brown stuff.

Hmm.. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. In general, I find Buffalo Trace stuff to be the most enjoyable whiskeys overall. They are doing great things at both the call level and their premium stuff.

Edited by weave

Hmm.. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. In general, I find Buffalo Trace stuff to be the most enjoyable whiskeys overall. They are doing great things at both the call level and their premium stuff.

It's without a doubt my favorite brand. Every sip is like the first time.

It's without a doubt my favorite brand. Every sip is like the first time.

Just wait until you try their really high end stuff. Pappy Van Winkle, oh my!!!

When I first saw your post it was from my Blackberry and it didn't render the image properly. All I could make out was the bottom of the label. I saw the Buffalo Trace Distillery portion and thought, "oh no, don't tell me he got a bottle of Pappy. I've been on a waiting list for it for months". Not that I wouldn't wish you anything but the best but I was relieved to see it wasn't. :P

Trying my first Rye Whiskey tonight.

What'd you get? Rye is my jam!

Just wait until you try their really high end stuff. Pappy Van Winkle, oh my!!!

When I first saw your post it was from my Blackberry and it didn't render the image properly. All I could make out was the bottom of the label. I saw the Buffalo Trace Distillery portion and thought, "oh no, don't tell me he got a bottle of Pappy. I've been on a waiting list for it for months". Not that I wouldn't wish you anything but the best but I was relieved to see it wasn't. :P

If I have to get put on a list i think I'll just pass on it :lol:

I managed to make a pilgrimage to Premier Liquor on Transit Road today. Was on a mission to score some Van Winkle. Any Van Winkle. It is supposed to show up in retail in early Spring. Well......... it's early Spring, right? Sales guy at Premier sez they haven't gotten an allotment yet, and isn't sure they will this year. Oh man. I am getting shut out all over the place. Stepped into the fancy glass room with all of the 'spensive and rare goodies to see if they had something comparable. And what did I spy? A bottle of Thomas Handy Rye. Thomas Handy is to rye what Pappy Van Winkle is to bourbon. It is a Buffalo Trace Antique series release and is scarce as hen's teeth to find. After pleading with the wife she agreed to buy a bottle, but only on the condition that I cannot open it until Father's Day. It is my Father's Day gift this year. [Carly Simon voice] Anticipation, anticipa-a-tion, it's making me wait [/Carly Simon voice]

And on the way out I managed a covert action to nab a bottle of Sazerac rye as well. I got the stink eye for that one. Big time.

• 3 weeks later...

Had two new ones this week:

Friday evening we stopped in to Bacchus before the game, and I had their Manhattan with Bulleit Rye. Very good, and even cooler because it came in a short glass with one giant square ice cube. (What can I say; I'm a sucker for presentation.) I'd definitely have that one again.

Tonight it's Monkey Shoulder Triple Malt Scotch Whisky (http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-5016.aspx). Not overly complicated, but easy-drinking, nice sweet aroma, and for the price ($33) I'd say it's well-worth it.

Had two new ones this week:

Friday evening we stopped in to Bacchus before the game, and I had their Manhattan with Bulleit Rye. Very good, and even cooler because it came in a short glass with one giant square ice cube. (What can I say; I'm a sucker for presentation.) I'd definitely have that one again.

Tonight it's Monkey Shoulder Triple Malt Scotch Whisky (http://www.thewhisky...com/P-5016.aspx). Not overly complicated, but easy-drinking, nice sweet aroma, and for the price ($33) I'd say it's well-worth it.

Local watering hole just got Monkey Shoulder in. I'm going to have to give it a try.

Today I learned that Maker's Mark 92 is, as labeled, slightly stronger than regular Maker's Mark, but it makes me feel like I'm a lot funnier than I actually am.

EDIT: It also isn't as smooth. At all. If I want a high-octane bourbon (and I rarely like that; the regular stuff is rocket fuel as it is), it's Knob Creek.

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.