Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

You'll have to do better.

On another note. Has anyone found a good NY distilled whiskey?

Every hipster is all over the Hudson Whiskey bourbons. I'm here to tell you that despite the price, they're not that great. People who drink them are buying a brand and not a taste. They aren't bad, by any means, but they certainly are not worth the price.

Pretty bottles, though.

Every hipster is all over the Hudson Whiskey bourbons. I'm here to tell you that despite the price, they're not that great. People who drink them are buying a brand and not a taste. They aren't bad, by any means, but they certainly are not worth the price.

Pretty bottles, though.

My brother and I are doing a challenge this year to drink only NYS beer, wine, and spirits. I'm gonna need a drinkable whiskey if I'm gonna make it.

My brother and I are doing a challenge this year to drink only NYS beer, wine, and spirits. I'm gonna need a drinkable whiskey if I'm gonna make it.

If you add PA as NY's slow little brother, that'd be a lot easier. :)

Edited by MattPie

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends....

I cannot believe I have gone this long without trying an Old Fashioned.

2oz bourbon

1 Marachino Cherry

1 Orange slice

1 Tbls sugar

Top off w/ Seltzer

Muddle the cherry, orange, and sugar. Add bourbon and ice. Top w/ seltzer.

OMFG so tasty. I ordered mine with Buffalo Trace. Absolutely delicious. I may never have another Manhattan again. Old Fashioned is feaking delicious.

A dash of Angosturra bitters is a nice touch to that very recipe.

Question for the whiskey enthusiasts. My boss gave me a bottle of 10 year old Glenmorangie. Perhaps I'm just not sophisticated enough, but I don't enjoy it. Is this supposed to be the good stuff? Or did my boss give me some cheap shite?

That's a nice bottle and not cheap shite. It may be that you just don't like Scotch. I don't; the peat taste gets to me.

Agree with 11, Glenmorangie is a great brand. 10 is a lighter malt and considerably different from it's older brothers. But it's got a great finish. Being from the Highlands, it's not really peaty. Personally I tend to pick up the heather and spice.

Can't agree more. I recieved the single malt as a gift a few years back and it had little body and no finish. Too bad, would love for a NY distiller to put out a great product.

I don't have the money for it but the scotch aisle was calling today. Bought a bottle of Highland Park 12 Year. Tonight will be a pleasant night.

Awesome whisky. Has to be something about being that far north to pick up the sea yet still have the floral of the Highland malts. FYI one of Michael Jackson's all time faves.

I've been a homebody of late, bouncing between Talisker 10 and Laphroaig 10 a few months now. May have to Christen the new season with something special.

Here's a question: has anyone found a good online liquor store to buy scotch? I've recently learned that it's now legal to buy scotch online. Google turns up a million of these stores, but I have no idea as to reputability and value.

Any recommendations appreciated. My stock is getting low.

Here's a question: has anyone found a good online liquor store to buy scotch? I've recently learned that it's now legal to buy scotch online. Google turns up a million of these stores, but I have no idea as to reputability and value.

Want to spend a little and have some fun? Try this: http://www.whiskyblender.com

Please note that I haven't tried it, don't really care for Scotch, and, accordingly, can't recommend it or damn it. But I do think it's a neat idea.

Edited by Eleven

I was meaning to get back to this post.

I've used http://caskers.com/ in the past. They used to require an "invitation" to join. Not sure if they still do. Give them a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Work has left me with little time to sit back and savor a good pour, but I did manage to buy something new (that I hadn't tried before). Wild Turkey Rare Breed http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/DBvd.php?id=34&task=displaybottling

Barrel proof, well aged, excellent reputation.

Hopefully I'll get a quiet evening sometime soon so I can open it up and pour a glass.

Hopefully I'll get a quiet evening sometime soon so I can open it up and pour a glass.

You and me both my friend. I'm trying to make Friday night my standing whisky night. Kids to bed, dram poured, hockey on.

A friend of mine wanted my advice on a nice bottle of single malt for a bachelor party gift. It gave me a chance to play with someone elses $, felt like filling out a Santa list. Here's what I came up with:

-Talisker 25

-Macallan Estate Reserve

-Highland Park 1991 Cask

-Glenrothes 25

-If he can get it, Port Ellen

I found this response to a Scotch article helpful:)

OK, Being reared up in good ol KY, having an Irish Gram who believed all childhood ailments could be cured with whiskey (properly pronounced bu-bon) and local honey, AND being a bona-fide country musician, I consider myself not only an expert, but a professional on this topic. My take on this whole article is that it is horses$*% (another thing we know about in KY). And here is why (you can hate the player, but don't hate the game ;) )

1. All whiskey is bourbon, not the other way around. I know many of you will talk to me about history and facts and dates and such, but that is really just the part of the conspiracy. We invented both corn and corn squeezing here in Eddyville, KY. Thems the truth.

2. Only children drink bourbon from a glass (mixed with honey as medicine) Adults drink the proper way – from the bottle.

3. The only acceptable mix for bourbon is ice, mint, and soda water (maybe a dash of bitters if you a bold and daring), and this is acceptable ONLY on derby day.

4. If you complain that the tastes get mixed up and confused when you drink fast as opposed to sipping, then you are not taking big enough drinks. Don't swish it around in your mouth. Taking three large gulps from the bottle aerates and mixes when you stop to take a breath.

5. Never choose bourbon for taste. Like wine, you should always choose for mood and function. For example:

Early Times – supper bourbon, cheap, take with food or your hiney will regret it the next day

Makers Mart – Staple of life, elixer of good health and mental functioning – take daily as needed, double on Sunday

Old Grandad – Friday night bourbon

Wild Turkey 101 – Saturday night bourbon

6. The proper temperature for drinking bourbon is whatever the temperature is behind the seat of your truck.

I'm sorry for shattering the propaganda, but the truth will set you free. It may however land you in jail, but this is not just some beverage, bourbon is a lifestyle.

Edited by ColdBlueNorth

The reason stated makes no sense.

Sure it does. They cannot ramp up production today and see results tomorrow. They are stuck with whatever is on hand made 3-7 years ago. There is no way to increase what they can put on the shelves NOW without dilution. Production increases now won't bear fruit until 3-7 yrs from now. There only other option to increase product on the shelves would have been to blend in younger bourbon with the stuff that is "ready". That probably would have changed the flavor profile too much.

Will it affect thier market share? I'm betting it affects market share positively. It isn't widely known but Jack Daniels did the exact same thing a few years back, for the exact same reasons. Noone noticed. If anything, a 3% dilution will make Makers Mark a softer, smoother drink. Serious whiskey folks will notice, but the bread and butter for Makers Mark is generally not serious whiskey drinkers first choice anyway. And more Makers on the shelf means more exposure to it by non-serious whiskey dfrinkers. My money is on a kindler, gentler Makers Mark converts the newly exposed.

Having said all that, when I want a wheat whiskey I turn to Weller and Van Winkle. The Makers Mark decision only makes my choice more firmly entrenched.

This is part of the press release issued on Straightbourbon.com

In the near future MM will be distributing it's bourbon at 84 proof.

This decision was made due to the demand for MM outstripping the production. For a couple of months MM has been struggling with how to handle the increased demand. As you know, the bourbon being put into bottles now was produced about six years ago and although the production at that time was increased, it still has not keep up with the increase in demand. Testing was done to see if bottling at a younger age would cure some of these growing pains but it was discarded because the taste profile was not up to MM standards. Additional consumer testing showed that reducing the proof did not affect the profile (other than less alcohol burn) and allowed for a greater number of bottles to be filled per barrel.

In conclusion, it was a decision between reducing the proof or not having enough product for the shelves.

Personally, more bourbon on the shelves = greater price competition. I'm in favor of that. :P

OK, Being reared up in good ol KY, having an Irish Gram who believed all childhood ailments could be cured with whiskey (properly pronounced bu-bon) and local honey, AND being a bona-fide country musician, I consider myself not only an expert, but a professional on this topic. My take on this whole article is that it is horses$*% (another thing we know about in KY). And here is why (you can hate the player, but don't hate the game ;) )

1. All whiskey is bourbon, not the other way around. I know many of you will talk to me about history and facts and dates and such, but that is really just the part of the conspiracy. We invented both corn and corn squeezing here in Eddyville, KY. Thems the truth.

2. Only children drink bourbon from a glass (mixed with honey as medicine) Adults drink the proper way – from the bottle.

3. The only acceptable mix for bourbon is ice, mint, and soda water (maybe a dash of bitters if you a bold and daring), and this is acceptable ONLY on derby day.

4. If you complain that the tastes get mixed up and confused when you drink fast as opposed to sipping, then you are not taking big enough drinks. Don't swish it around in your mouth. Taking three large gulps from the bottle aerates and mixes when you stop to take a breath.

5. Never choose bourbon for taste. Like wine, you should always choose for mood and function. For example:

Early Times – supper bourbon, cheap, take with food or your hiney will regret it the next day

Makers Mart – Staple of life, elixer of good health and mental functioning – take daily as needed, double on Sunday

Old Grandad – Friday night bourbon

Wild Turkey 101 – Saturday night bourbon

6. The proper temperature for drinking bourbon is whatever the temperature is behind the seat of your truck.

I'm sorry for shattering the propaganda, but the truth will set you free. It may however land you in jail, but this is not just some beverage, bourbon is a lifestyle.

I'll bet that guy is fun at parties.

Though my bourbon friends here will vehemently disagree, the only whisky is scotch. Corns for eating, barley's for drinking.

Funny response, I especially enjoyed the temperature part.

As for MM, I think it's smooth already and lowering the proof would adversly change taste. But if what Weave says is true about JD and consumer survey failed to find a difference, I doubt I could tell either.

Edited by Braedon

Though my bourbon friends here will vehemently disagree, the only whisky is scotch. Corns for eating, barley's for drinking.

Funny response, I especially enjoyed the temperature part.

As for MM, I think it's smooth already and lowering the proof would adversly change taste. But if what Weave says is true about JD and consumer survey failed to find a difference, I doubt I could tell either.

All grain is for drinking. Whyinthehell would anyone waste any of it in food? :P

What a difference time (and a new corporate leader for the label) makes.

The best advice Pappy ever gave my father", Bill (Samuels Jr.) said, "was to make a premium product, and to keep it in short supply. I can thank your grandfather for that as long as I live.

I guess the Old Man's advice isn't to be heeded any longer.

Sure it does. They cannot ramp up production today and see results tomorrow. They are stuck with whatever is on hand made 3-7 years ago. There is no way to increase what they can put on the shelves NOW without dilution. Production increases now won't bear fruit until 3-7 yrs from now. There only other option to increase product on the shelves would have been to blend in younger bourbon with the stuff that is "ready". That probably would have changed the flavor profile too much.

Will it affect thier market share? I'm betting it affects market share positively. It isn't widely known but Jack Daniels did the exact same thing a few years back, for the exact same reasons. Noone noticed. If anything, a 3% dilution will make Makers Mark a softer, smoother drink. Serious whiskey folks will notice, but the bread and butter for Makers Mark is generally not serious whiskey drinkers first choice anyway. And more Makers on the shelf means more exposure to it by non-serious whiskey dfrinkers. My money is on a kindler, gentler Makers Mark converts the newly exposed.

I'm just thinking back to high school economics: steady supply + increased demand = increased prices as the remedy, not watering down the supply! But again, it's high school economics.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.