Bad contracts? What bad contracts?

tom webster

:wallbash:

I fuggin hate Versus. Not because of it's broadcast, but because I have to pony up for the next full package up to watch my Sabres 6-8 times a year and in the playoffs. Pisses me off because that channel (and package really) offers NOTHING else that I am interested in. I was really hoping ESPN would win that bid.

Looks like at least another year of watching crappy streams during the regualr season for half a dozen games and bucking up for beers at the bar during the playoffs post-round 1.

:wallbash:

I fuggin hate Versus. Not because of it's broadcast, but because I have to pony up for the next full package up to watch my Sabres 6-8 times a year and in the playoffs. Pisses me off because that channel (and package really) offers NOTHING else that I am interested in. I was really hoping ESPN would win that bid.

Looks like at least another year of watching crappy streams during the regualr season for half a dozen games and bucking up for beers at the bar during the playoffs post-round 1.

This should help in the long-term. See Benedict's post for why.

ESPN was bad for the league.

Putting Versus next to ESPN on the dial doesn't really address the need for me to move up in subscription package. Unless I am missing something.

The added revenues should improve league finances considerably though.

Yeah, I know. Before someone else says it. I'm a cheapskate at heart. Even when it comes to watching the Sabres.

This is an interesting move for NBC. I think with the affiliation with Versus, NBC will be negotiating to get Versus next to ESPN on most cable carriers.

125 more million into the league per year should see the cap go up by quite a bit.

I'll listen to every game on the f*cking radio if it means we get more cap space! :beer:

This is an interesting move for NBC. I think with the affiliation with Versus, NBC will be negotiating to get Versus next to ESPN on most cable carriers.

125 more million into the league per year should see the cap go up by quite a bit.

It absolutely terrifies me. Granted their sports department may be a different story, but everything NBC has touched in recent years has turned into absolute garbage.

Agree.

The more visibility Versus gets, the better. More distribution means more money means better coverage means more distribution.

Disagree. ESPN is the pinnacle of cable sports distribution. Extremely high visibility. Fairly good coverage and content, especially when you include ESPN2. The NHL needs as much visibility as possible to grow the sport.

With this and other revenue streams exploding, the cap will continue to rise and some of these so called bad contracts will be a bargain.

http://wgr550.com/Report--NBC-Versus-to-pay--2-billion-for-NHL-right/9654332

I'm okay with anything that makes it easier to move Pominville, Hecht and any other bad contracts that are currently on the Sabres books.

Whenever ESPN's contracts expire next with cable/satellite providers I'm sure each of them will try to move ESPN over to a higher package anyway. So it won't matter in the end where the NHL is shown.

I am still waiting for the NHL to do more of the same ideas as the NFL network - moving games over to their network for exclusive coverage.

I'd be willing to bet an acre of land that either Versus or the NHL is not around in 10 years.

It depends on what you mean by not being around. I'm almost willing to guarantee that Vs will have a name change at some point, so it'll still exist, but not under it's current name.

link

You know once upon a time it really bummed me out that ESPN was out of hockey...but now, not so much. I've grown to like the fact that Vs. (or whatever it gets renamed) treats having hockey as a big deal. Heck I don't even mind when they pick up local broadcasts in order to put a game on Wednesdays or Thursdays. I feel like that on ESPN there would be no more or less importance given to NHL coverage than NASCAR, bowling, English soccer, etc. Just one more part of second-tier filler programming around NFL and (ick) NBA.

Now between Sabres on MSG, NHL network and Vs/NBC we have tons of hockey on most nights of the week. Gotta say it's the best time ever to be a hockey fan.

Barring a crash of the Canadian dollar, I could see the cap approaching $70m within 3 years.

If that is the case..who is going to have the disposable income to support 41 home games in many of these cities? You've got the president and head of the treasury spelling out that the US could default, and CNBC doing a segment on the process of default and how it would go about. A few years ago I would get laughed at for saying this could happen.

Bettman better firm things up fast. Team values are already down a quarter from a few years ago. TV money helps, but it may only be a Government>GE>NBC>NHL stimulus to make up for stagnant revenues going forward.

Archived