Bad contracts? What bad contracts?

tom webster

This is an interesting move for NBC. I think with the affiliation with Versus, NBC will be negotiating to get Versus next to ESPN on most cable carriers.

125 more million into the league per year should see the cap go up by quite a bit.

Yes, I believe comcast is trying to rival espn. They run the golf channel, NBC sports & now the NHL. Who knows whats next on their docket.

If that is the case..who is going to have the disposable income to support 41 home games in many of these cities? You've got the president and head of the treasury spelling out that the US could default, and CNBC doing a segment on the process of default and how it would go about. A few years ago I would get laughed at for saying this could happen.

Bettman better firm things up fast. Team values are already down a quarter from a few years ago. TV money helps, but it may only be a Government>GE>NBC>NHL stimulus to make up for stagnant revenues going forward.

In theory, the rise in cap created by additional league wide revenues, shared equally amongst the teams should not result in increased ticket prices although in practice we both know that ticket prices will be determined by supply and demand.

As for team values, I would argue your point regarding them being down 25%. This article doesn't seem to back that up;

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/31/hockey-valuations-10_land.html

This is great for the sport. ESPN was terrible for hockey and despite offering around the same amount, they did not commit to too many games in their proposal. Also, in the ESPN deal, they would have a clause to get all 7 games of the finals on ESPN (espn really wants to air a champion). ESPN would not get any games in their deal, all games would be on espn2 and some weeks they'd air 1 game a week. The most they would air is 2. ABC would air saturday afternoon game, starting in january or all-star break.

NBC-

1. Versus will still air games 3 and 4 of the finals each year. NBC gets 1, 2, 5, 6, and 7.

2. NBC will air a Friday Night Game (on Black Friday)

3. NBC will air winter classic. And "Game of the week" once a week after.

4. NBC/Comcast will AIR EVERY SINGLE playoff game LIVE.... when playoffs begin, when theres multiple games at same time, games will air on either USA Network or Bravo. No more center ice or needing to find a bar to find Sabres playoffs for out of towners.

5. NBC will build a new studio for hockey, in Connecticut. NHL Network will move from TSN headquarters in Toronto to the NBC studio, which is huge. Rumors already flying that John Buccigross from ESPN will be aimed to be hired to anchor NHL Network. He didn't want to leave ESPN to live in Canada.

Also, NBC will look into a HOCKEY NIGHT IN AMERICA broadcast. Unsure what or how, or if they will even do it, it's one thing they plan to work on in the 10 year deal. Unknown if it'd be a Friday or Sat night game.

So, relax guys. This is great for our sport.

This looks like good news for the League, and considering the NHL has had its highest rated telecasts with this NBC/VS partnership over the last few years, it would seem like a no brainer. With NBC Sports taking over Versus, I anticipate that even the content on Versus is going to be better and more than the NHL and a bunch of random stuff no one cares about like outdoor/wildlife, Tour de France, MMA, etc. They have already put together a show like what used to be NHL2night on ESPN2, which is great. They have added college football and other college sports as well. Their content is only going to get better as it has over the last few years.

This does mean that I will be switching back to having Versus on DirecTV now. I canceled the subscription due to the fee disagreement Comcast and DirecTV had last year and increased my subscription to Dish as I have both. Don't ask why, it's a long story. Like Weave, this creates some minor logistic and cost issues, but it seems like the right thing for the NHL to do, so I'm happy about it.

This is great for the sport.

......And shltty for a Sabres fan who just happens to live in comcast country. Every time the two clubs meet, when I want to watch the game, no matter the location, I'm SOL and I have to resort to CSN Philly's broadcast.

What I don't like is when games are nationally televised and the flyers are playing, I can't even watch that game.

Now compare this to what the NFL does when airing your local teams game nationally on MNF, SNF & NFLN games: Absolutely nothing, all games are broadcast.

In theory, the rise in cap created by additional league wide revenues, shared equally amongst the teams should not result in increased ticket prices although in practice we both know that ticket prices will be determined by supply and demand.

As for team values, I would argue your point regarding them being down 25%. This article doesn't seem to back that up;

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/31/hockey-valuations-10_land.html

Well, if you want to quote Forbes, didn't they value the Sabres at 225MM a few years ago?.

It was a good read, but they explain the 2 tier system. Montreal, Toronto, Rangers, Wings, Bruins, Philly rake in all the cash with local markets....then you have 16 teams losing money (on an accounting basis), and many of them struggling and looking for investors.

In related news, NBC/Versus signed a long term deal for all of the big horseraces, taking ESPN out of the picture. As much as I'd like to say that bodes well for the future explosion of racing, I am pretty realistic. Although I do get a kick when they cut away from an OT game to make sure they get in their 2 hours of Preakness pre-race in!

I don't remember them ever valuing the Sabres at $225m. As for the two tier system, my point was that future revenue growth is coming in the form of shared revenue that should help most clubs. Also, right now there appear to be at least 5 groups anxious to acquire franchises which should help values.

I don't remember them ever valuing the Sabres at $225m. As for the two tier system, my point was that future revenue growth is coming in the form of shared revenue that should help most clubs. Also, right now there appear to be at least 5 groups anxious to acquire franchises which should help values.

You are correct about Forbes, my bad. I don't know where 225 was burned into my brain from. They have all their yearly records up still.

Yes, any TV money helps. I hope the league can thrive long term. They just can't afford any major setbacks.

This is great for the sport. ESPN was terrible for hockey and despite offering around the same amount, they did not commit to too many games in their proposal. Also, in the ESPN deal, they would have a clause to get all 7 games of the finals on ESPN (espn really wants to air a champion). ESPN would not get any games in their deal, all games would be on espn2 and some weeks they'd air 1 game a week. The most they would air is 2. ABC would air saturday afternoon game, starting in january or all-star break.

NBC-

1. Versus will still air games 3 and 4 of the finals each year. NBC gets 1, 2, 5, 6, and 7.

I really don't like the fact that Versus gets games 3 and 4 of the finals every year. That's two games that a majority of the people don't get to watch. Although it rarely happens, what if someone sweeps the series and wins the Stanley cup in game 4? Not too many people will see it.

I really don't like the fact that Versus gets games 3 and 4 of the finals every year. That's two games that a majority of the people don't get to watch. Although it rarely happens, what if someone sweeps the series and wins the Stanley cup in game 4? Not too many people will see it.

Yeah, that is true. Although, one would argue, that if a series is 3-0, not that many people would tune in to watch anyways. But i agree. To me though, it's still better then having all 7 games on espn, which was a possibility.

Also, Versus will get its name changed and will make a SportsCenter rival show. They will also seek cable companies to include the channel in more packages with the new NBC name and will be in more hotels across the country. Don't forget, NBC has rights to Notre Dame football, and i believe 2 of their games will be moved from NBC to the new Versus channel. Cable companies will want that channel because it's turning the corner and also Notre Dame football draws a big rating.

The days of hockey AND bass fishing on versus are gone.

I will also say this because i think this is what a lot of people just don't get...

-ESPN deal would see NHL be on TV about 30-40 times a regular season. (ALL on ESPN2)

-Versus this past season had 52 exclusive games (own broadcast/crew) and 25 feeds (like airing TSN on versus) for a total of 77. (not counting playoffs)

-In the NEW deal... NBC/versus will air 100 exclusive games..... and they will "add-on" non exclusive games. (Not counting playoffs)

-In the NEW deal... each Versus/NBC game will be streamed ONLINE for free (although with espn3.com i guess so would espn's deal)

People who bitch about this are just whiners. There is nothing more to it.

As long as they show some more damn games overall and as long as every playoff game is shown nationally then I don't mind. NBC, VS, USA, CNBC, MSLSD, I don't care. Just show every damn playoff game. To not have them shown nationally this day and age is absurd.

And to think it happened 3 years in a row - 96, 97, and 98.

Granted, only by two different teams, but still.

To my friends to the north...

Do you get Vs. and also an NBC affiliate from your cable provider?

I have never seen versus but it may be there...somewhere. Its the one complaint I've heard is its next to impossible to find. We get NBC. I heard a reporter thats in Chicago with the Canucks complain that they don't get Versus in their hotel?

I have never seen versus but it may be there...somewhere. Its the one complaint I've heard is its next to impossible to find. We get NBC. I heard a reporter thats in Chicago with the Canucks complain that they don't get Versus in their hotel?

In this day and age of over 500 channels spread all across the "dial", is it really that hard to find a channel? I have never understood this argument. People who say they can't find Vs don't care enough about the programming to look.

I personally love Versus and watch it a lot, for more than just hockey. I'm sure that NBC will now ruin it for me, but on a positive note, hopefully now I can get some free tickets. :thumbsup:

In this day and age of over 500 channels spread all across the "dial", is it really that hard to find a channel? I have never understood this argument. People who say they can't find Vs don't care enough about the programming to look.

I personally love Versus and watch it a lot, for more than just hockey. I'm sure that NBC will now ruin it for me, but on a positive note, hopefully now I can get some free tickets. :thumbsup:

Versus coverage is 300% better than it was in 2006 when it was OLN.

They've gotten much better.

Interesting piece in broadstreethockey....

Why NBC is good for the NHL.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2011/4/20/2122187/nhl-tv-contract-nbc-comcast-espn-philadelphia-flyers

"The harsh truth of the status quo in the U.S. sports television world is that if ESPN doesn't care about you, you basically don't matter, and if ESPN isn't invested in you, they don't care about you." :lol:

To my friends to the north...

Do you get Vs. and also an NBC affiliate from your cable provider?

The contract between Versus and NBC (both owned by Comcast) is for U.S. broadcast rights, I believe. If so, it probably has no impact on Canadian broadcasts. But I do wonder how the contract will affect the availability of Sabres' games on MSG.

Also, since I hold Comcast in very low regard, I wonder what kind of pressure Comcast will exert on other cable/satellite providers to pay more money in order to broadcast hockey.

This is an interesting move for NBC. I think with the affiliation with Versus, NBC will be negotiating to get Versus next to ESPN on most cable carriers.

125 more million into the league per year should see the cap go up by quite a bit.

I agree with your sentiment about trying to "match up" Versus vs ESPN. Today, you can consider Versus an infant version of ESPN. Versus reminds a lot of ESPN in the early 80's. NBC is not trying to match up Versus. Comcast is. Remember, Comcast owns NBC and Versus............and oh did I forget, the Philadelphia Flyers :)

I agree with your sentiment about trying to "match up" Versus vs ESPN. Today, you can consider Versus an infant version of ESPN. Versus reminds a lot of ESPN in the early 80's. NBC is not trying to match up Versus. Comcast is. Remember, Comcast owns NBC and Versus............and oh did I forget, the Philadelphia Flyers :)

And don't forget, Comcast is f#####g evil.

I wish Versus/NBC would hire full-time staffers to announce the games. Having to hear Brickley and Beninati on Versus announcing Sabres games is just annoying beyond belief. Doc is decent but again, he works for the Devils.

I'd rather they pick up the TSN/CBC broadcasters - while they're Canadian homers at least they aren't actually employed by any of the clubs.

Archived