Game Discussion Thread

thesportsbuff

Didnt post in the first 34, nor did I read anything except this page...

Honestly, Im happy we split, I cant really say much on the first two periods cause I wasn't able to watch them, but I did have people texting me. From what I was getting is that we were undiscplined and there were some calls and didnt go our way.

Cant say what was what, that is what I assumed....

Lets just go to Buffalo, get at least one win!

defense looked weak tonight and I thought the only one who looked like he belonged for sure was weber. Am I worried? No, I have already stated that this team will have growing pains so lets learn what this means and move on

I'm 100 percent behind our young team. They're resilient and I think they have a good chance to beat the Flyers in the series. I refuse to crack on any of our youngsters. They're capable and they're going to step up to the plate.

Everyone who is complaining: If you'd been offered a split of the first two games before the series started, you would have been all over it. It's a good result, so far. Relax; it's coming home for two.

Hang in there, stop bitching, and LET'S GO, BUFFALO!!!!!

I'm fine with the 1-1 split, but if you take the first six periods of this series together, Philly has clearly been the better team. Some of it is Philly playing better than they have been and some is the Sabres playing worse but I'm not really liking what I'm seeing on the ice.

The positive way to look at it is that the series is tied even though we haven't played a good game yet. The negative way is that the talent/experience gap between the two teams is showing and Philly has a significant advantage.

I'm 100 percent behind our young team. They're resilient and I think they have a good chance to beat the Flyers in the series. I refuse to crack on any of our youngsters. They're capable and they're going to step up to the plate.

The young guys (Ennis, Gerbe, Weber, Butler, Gragnani, Sekera) saved our season starting in January. No need to crack on them.

BTW, everyone should keep in mind that Myers is still the youngest defenseman on the team. He's still nowhere near his potential in this league.

Can we just stop with crying about officials? The Sabres got into penalty trouble because they made some dumb plays and took stupid penalties.

I wonder if you still feel this way. I can think of at least ten minutes of penalties that should not have been called (or at least evened up with a diving call) on the Sabres. That's one 6th of the game. Did we take stupid penalties? Absolutely, Goose's holding the stick was a real :blink: . But in a one goal game, in my mind, the officiating was the difference tonight.

Still a great game, though.

I wonder if you still feel this way. I can think of at least ten minutes of penalties that should not have been called (or at least evened up with a diving call) on the Sabres. That's one 6th of the game. Did we take stupid penalties? Absolutely, Goose's holding the stick was a real :blink: . But in a one goal game, in my mind, the officiating was the difference tonight.

I completely agree. There were a lot of no-calls (Goose in front on the net, interference definition?) and dives thaqt should've evened everything out, but I still think we pull this out in 6. Win it in front of the home town crowd...it's all a ploy :ph34r:

Awesome game. I believe now more that ever that the Sabres will win the series.

But the roughing call on Kaleta was an embarrassment to hockey.

Wow, if we've made a believer out of Swamp I'm feeling pretty good about the Sabres chances.

Just a little while ago, I didn't think this team would even make the playoffs. They just split the first two away games against what I think is a pretty good team. So I'm happy with that, even though I admit I was swearing a lot at the tv during game 2.

Now for what I have really been waiting for. Playoff game. At home. You have the last change. The coach is able to put you out there against those he expects you to have some success against. If you succeed, in the many ways this can be measured, I want you on my team going forward. If you fail, I wish you luck wherever the future takes you. I expect sustained offensive zone pressure, and all the good things that come from it.

And yes, I think this question has already been answered in previous playoff games for some players. I'm just saying, there's a new set of eyes on them, and a home playoff game is the best possible test for a player I can think of.

Growing pains hurt for a young team in the playoffs. I expect Ruff will have to go over some video with some guys. Sekera was a little rusty but thats normal. We got outplayed again and miller couldn't save us this time. Our offense was obviously better what it is unfortunate that we could not stay out of the box. This team coming home will feed off of our energy and I think the flyers will have to have a let down at some point and I feel like after this game their energy is going to be low. If our defense can settle in which I believe they are actually closer to doing and if our offense can wake up fully (boyes, ennis, stafford, connolly, pommmers) I think we have the grit and skill to defeat philly. As Terry Pegula once said "it does no good to panic"

Meh, I'm not happy with the whole "Oh, well, at least we got a split" thing.

I mean yeah obviously its better than going down 0-2, but ######, that whole mantra makes it seem like we should just be grateful for everything. No, we're here, and we're going to freakin' play. And we could have easily won Game 2, so I'm pissed we didn't.

Providing critical analysis =/= complaining.

Correct, and then there are those who are just complaining.

This would be an accurate assessment if you only saw the boxscores and not the games themselves. There are some troubling things that have to be addressed before Monday.

That being said, the Sabres still have home ice advantage. Let's see how Game 3 goes.

The biggest thing that needs to be addressed is the team's nerves, and that's easy enough. They sent a message yesterday that they won't be pushed around, and that was an important step.

Seriously?

All part from 2 calls (from what I could see), were either Sabres trying to be physical or the D hauling someone down on a partial break, because someone like Connolly got stripped of the puck at the blueline, trying to stickhandle into the zone.

The problem with last night I think, is that all of the sudden they're being told to be physical, but haven't got the experience in playing that game as the Flyers do, resulting in more penalties.

So what happens in game 3? Do we see Lindy stepping down from the physical aspect, hoping to stay out of the box, or do we see the current physical trend continue, with the resulting penalties?

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation right now.

On a sidenote, I thought Myers was terrible tonight, and apart from the goal and one or two instances of him bringing the puck through the neutral zone, I thought Sekera was even worse.

The lack of discipline was the difference.

It's pro sports and there will always be questionable calls. When people are complaining about every call the legit bad calls get lost. There were missed calls that went both ways. The Sabres also got breaks with quick whistles like on the play Grier blocked the shot with his hand.

This. There is nothing to bitch about. Unless you're DeLuca. Oh no. Did I unwittingly make this a post about him? I fear there is no way his self-important pompous ass can't won't think so.

GO SABRES!!!

A tough loss in the middle of a playoff series and I am the #1 thing on your mind? Sad, truly sad.

Back to the actual hockey discussion. The idea of being happy with a split sort of loses something when you win game one. With a chance to go up 2-0 on the road, last night was a hugely important game. Just ask the Habs who are going home up 2-0.

The lack of discipline was the difference.

It's pro sports and there will always be questionable calls. When people are complaining about every call the legit bad calls get lost. There were missed calls that went both ways. The Sabres also got breaks with quick whistles like on the play Grier blocked the shot with his hand.

They normally even out. Last night they didn't. And when even the Philly announcers mention it, I think I have a right to.

I'm still baffled at Kaleta's roughing call.

They normally even out. Last night they didn't. And when even the Philly announcers mention it, I think I have a right to.

I'm still baffled at Kaleta's roughing call.

Absolutely! My frustration on this topic is due to a season long trend on this board to excuse away bad plays and performances by blaming the officials. I would never say NHL officiating is great, it has just become a type crutch for some fans.

A bigger concern IMO is that the Sabres may have let Philly up off of the mat. They have far too much talent on that roster and a game like yesterday can be a slump buster.

Also,

Briere's goal was 100% an intentional play. I thought so when they showed him on the bench after the play and looking at replays now I am convinced even more.

Absolutely! My frustration on this topic is due to a season long trend on this board to excuse away bad plays and performances by blaming the officials. I would never say NHL officiating is great, it has just become a type crutch for some fans.

A bigger concern IMO is that the Sabres may have let Philly up off of the mat. They have far too much talent on that roster and a game like yesterday can be a slump buster.

Also,

Briere's goal was 100% an intentional play. I thought so when they showed him on the bench after the play and looking at replays now I am convinced even more.

I didn't read the whole thread. Was this ever in question? Completely intentional.

I didn't read the whole thread. Was this ever in question? Completely intentional.

At least one poster used the "fluke goal off a skate" excuse to try to dismiss the loss as a combo of bad calls and crappy goals.

Gat Damm we should have never gotten rid of that runt. He'd look real good centering Boyes and Stafford about now.

Also,

I"ve never noticed that trend here. Not this season and not any other. I've seen it on other boards, but not this one.

At least one poster used the "fluke goal off a skate" excuse to try to dismiss the loss as a combo of bad calls and crappy goals.

Gat Damm we should have never gotten rid of that runt. He'd look real good centering Boyes and Stafford about now.

Your right, he should still be a Sabre...... :beer:

Archived