Game Discussion Thread

thesportsbuff

Lindy would never swap out goalies unless he absolutely had to - I'm talking injury or 5 softies in a period. I don't think he has to. Miller only let in one yesterday that he'd like to have back. The rest were a result of poor defensive play in front of him.

In other news, if you read the article by Hamilton on Leopold, it doesn't sounds like Leopold is going to be ready for the two home games, let alone game five. Based on that, I'm guessing Morrisonn is coming back tomorrow.

Don't worry about it. Once the season is over many of the posters that have issues with those with differing opinions will be gone. We go through this every season.

I've seen you post this before and I'm not sure what you mean. I know as for myself I have many differing opinions than you but I'm on here in the summer. Are there less posters during the offseason? Of course. During the NFL season I'll be on profootballtalk.com daily but come the offseason it'll turn into once a week or something like that. Of course there are less posts per day in early August than during a plyoff run.

I've seen you post this before and I'm not sure what you mean. I know as for myself I have many differing opinions than you but I'm on here in the summer. Are there less posters during the offseason? Of course. During the NFL season I'll be on profootballtalk.com daily but come the offseason it'll turn into once a week or something like that. Of course there are less posts per day in early August than during a plyoff run.

Don't talk about the NFL, it just makes me sad.......... :(

I have been going to profootballtalk for a couple of years now, but I have only made like 3 posts.

Don't talk about the NFL, it just makes me sad.......... :(

I have been going to profootballtalk for a couple of years now, but I have only made like 3 posts.

Ya, I don't post there much either. I find it's a great resource during the year in terms of injuries and other interesting info.

Don't worry about it. Once the season is over many of the posters that have issues with those with differing opinions will be gone. We go through this every season.

No one cares that you have differing opinions. It is the arrogance imbued in most of your posts that your opinion is obviously superior to those you argue with. :thumbdown:

Exactly, despite the penalties the Sabres were right there. A little better goaltending and disciplined play and the main topic today is can the Sabres close the deal at home. No one thought the Sabres would sweep the series, that doesn't change the fact the Sabres let a chance to do just that slip by.

If ifs and buts were candies and nuts....

The team Rally's around Enroth and it does both Enroth and Miller good to split duties, 2 thirds Miller, one third Enroth in my opinion. Especially considering Miller is coming back from an injury and game 4 is probably going to be the most crucial game of the series. Give Enroth a turn then put Miller back in Net on game 4.

Double No. Starting Enroth is pure insanity. He obviously played well for us.. and can be inserted in a game as a spark if Miller is getting shelled. But a start?... no chance, never happen.

My thoughts about the series thus far.. I'm thrilled. Thinking back to last year, opposing teams would run Miller at will. No one stood up for anyone. Finished checks? Forget it.. stiff jolts anywhere on the ice.. hardly ever. This team played like a scared pack of pu$$ys. No heart.. no fight.. no life. This year's playoff edition Sabres seem so much differnt and they are largely the same group of guys. The team is finding it's fight, it's identity, it's pride and it's 'reason for existence'. Too much enthusiasm last night.. probably. Better than the non-existant enthusiasm of last year.. definitely. Once Lindy reigns them in and they start to play tough as well as a bit smarter. This team could really be something.

Double No. Starting Enroth is pure insanity. He obviously played well for us.. and can be inserted in a game as a spark if Miller is getting shelled. But a start?... no chance, never happen.

My thoughts about the series thus far.. I'm thrilled. Thinking back to last year, opposing teams would run Miller at will. No one stood up for anyone. Finished checks? Forget it.. stiff jolts anywhere on the ice.. hardly ever. This team played like a scared pack of pu$$ys. No heart.. no fight.. no life. This year's playoff edition Sabres seem so much differnt and they are largely the same group of guys. The team is finding it's fight, it's identity, it's pride and it's 'reason for existence'. Too much enthusiasm last night.. probably. Better than the non-existant enthusiasm of last year.. definitely. Once Lindy reigns them in and they start to play tough as well as a bit smarter. This team could really be something.

Couldnt have said it any better myself!

It's a complete 180

No changes necessary. No Enroth. No call-ups. IMO Philadelphia outplayed Buffalo game one -- Buffalo won. Sabres outplayed Flyers for most of Game 2 (besides penalties) -- Flyers won. I'm cautiously confident going into game 3.

I normally don't imbibe in predictions, but I did so for this past game at the beginning of this thread. No more for me, thanks. I thought it would loosen up but not quite like it did.

Who knows what will happen tomorrow, maybe one of the goalies will score a goal.

+1000

Amen. And some of the people complaining about last night's game also complained about the opposite stuff last year. Look, there is no omelet (or for you Canadians, omelette) without breaking the eggs, you know (or for you Canadians, eh)?

My thoughts about the series thus far.. I'm thrilled. Thinking back to last year, opposing teams would run Miller at will. No one stood up for anyone. Finished checks? Forget it.. stiff jolts anywhere on the ice.. hardly ever. This team played like a scared pack of pu$ys. No heart.. no fight.. no life. This year's playoff edition Sabres seem so much differnt and they are largely the same group of guys. The team is finding it's fight, it's identity, it's pride and it's 'reason for existence'. Too much enthusiasm last night.. probably. Better than the non-existant enthusiasm of last year.. definitely. Once Lindy reigns them in and they start to play tough as well as a bit smarter. This team could really be something.

Great observations, and, when you think about it, everything you said could (and should) have a long-term impact. The Sabres crafted teams long in finesse and short on resolve, toughness, and grit. The old "hardest working team in hockey" Sabres were the last ones built with some of the fortitude we've all been waiting for.

So your thoughts resonate, and I for one am hoping they're building an identity for the long-term future, not just these playoffs. In the end, though, it's all about winning, so Buffalo needs to forge this new identity AND win the damn series! To that, I say, "GO SABRES!!!!!"

Great observations, and, when you think about it, everything you said could (and should) have a long-term impact. The Sabres crafted teams long in finesse and short on resolve, toughness, and grit. The old "hardest working team in hockey" Sabres were the last ones built with some of the fortitude we've all been waiting for.

So your thoughts resonate, and I for one am hoping they're building an identity for the long-term future, not just these playoffs. In the end, though, it's all about winning, so Buffalo needs to forge this new identity AND win the damn series! To that, I say, "GO SABRES!!!!!"

Good post

This is encouraging.

After scoring twice in the first period, Thomas Vanek(notes) was limited to five shifts and 4:18 of ice time during a second period that featured a parade of six Sabres players sent to the penalty box.

“I think from time to time, we let our emotions probably get too high and get the better of us,” Grier said. “We’ve got to be emotionally high, but be able to still be in control and not take so many penalties.”

The Sabres have shown new resolve this postseason, after they were knocked for being pushed around by the Bruins in being eliminated from the first round of last year’s playoffs.

On Saturday, the Sabres stood toe-to-toe—or chin to chest as in the case of diminutive Buffalo forward Nathan Gerbe(notes) exchanging shoves with Claude Giroux(notes) — to the bigger, more physical Flyers.

Coach Lindy Ruff was careful to stress he wanted his team to play with more discipline but not at the expense of losing its edge.

“I thought we answered the bell yesterday, and maybe went a little too far,” Ruff said. “We want to play with a lot of energy, but the right type of energy.”

Enroth at 9-2-2 secured 20 of 28 possible points. That calculates out to 71% of the possible points available.

Miller at 34-22-8 secured 76 of 132 possible points. That calculates out to 57% of the possible points available.

I like Ryan Miller just as much as the next guy, but Jhonas Enroth is no slouch...

Enroth at 9-2-2 secured 20 of 28 possible points. That calculates out to 71% of the possible points available.

Miller at 34-22-8 secured 76 of 132 possible points. That calculates out to 57% of the possible points available.

I like Ryan Miller just as much as the next guy, but Jhonas Enroth is no slouch...

Playoffs are a different animal. Just ask Bobrovski or Myers last year....

Playoffs are a different animal. Just ask Bobrovski or Myers last year....

Different Goaltenders bring different attributes to the table requiring added Game planning for an opponent, vs. seeing the same Goaltender game after game through a whole series.

In my opinion changing Goalies gives one team an added advantage over the other If they have not one, but two playoff caliber Goalies available.

Enroth had a clear edge in point %, though on a much smaller sample, but here are some other #'s (all from regular season):

Since 1/1/11:

Enroth: SV% = 91.2%, GAA = 2.64 (10 games, 9 starts)

Miller: SV% = 91.9%, GAA = 2.56 (38 games, 37 starts)

Last 10 games played in*:

Enroth: SV% = 91.2%, GAA = 2.64

Miller: SV% = 93.3%, GAA = 2.04

* 9 starts, plus they each relieved the other in one of the final two games.

Enroth had a clear edge in point %, though on a much smaller sample, but here are some other #'s (all from regular season):

Since 1/1/11:

Enroth: SV% = 91.2%, GAA = 2.64 (10 games, 9 starts)

Miller: SV% = 91.9%, GAA = 2.56 (38 games, 37 starts)

Last 10 games played in*:

Enroth: SV% = 91.2%, GAA = 2.64

Miller: SV% = 93.3%, GAA = 2.04

* 9 starts, plus they each relieved the other in one of the final two games.

I love statistics. :blush:

Archived